Switchblade key for first gen CL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:38 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Switchblade key for first gen CL?

has someone ever tried to pair an RL switchblade key to a 98-99 CL? I had an "all in one" deal with my last car, and it was much better than a dangling key fob. I'm about 100% sure the metal key blank and immobilizer parts are compatible with 98-99 CL's.

i'm wondering about the actual alarm transmitter part.. if it would work with the first gen. the buttons: lock, unlock, trunk, panic are all there. here's a pic of an 04 RL fob.. Sorry for the graphic.. its from eBay and "RARE"

If anyone has an RL switchblade key and would like to try, I will post the pairing instructions from the SM on here. If it ends up working, I will also make a DIY for getting the blank etc.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What will we think of next?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
I wanted to try it with the TL key, however the fcc signal is different in newer remotes
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you ask if someone's done it to a 98-99, does that mean its already been done for a 97?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by Euro925
when you ask if someone's done it to a 98-99, does that mean its already been done for a 97?
98-99 have immobilizer chips. but 97's dont.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
where is....

the only problem i foresee is that the new keys are like blocks, opposed to traditional keys with teeth.

but the transmitter should be do able with some trimming and resoldering.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AznX TL
the only problem i foresee is that the new keys are like blocks, opposed to traditional keys with teeth.

but the transmitter should be do able with some trimming and resoldering.
the 04-?? RL uses the same key style as our cars do with immobilizer.. not 100% if the length is the same, but the teeth and style are the same.. The 04 RL's are not like the accords/tl's with the block style. hmm, i need to check the FCC database on the frequency.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by iansanderson
the 04-?? RL uses the same key style as our cars do with immobilizer.. not 100% if the length is the same, but the teeth and style are the same.. The 04 RL's are not like the accords/tl's with the block style. hmm, i need to check the FCC database on the frequency.
oh wow, i didnt know about the RL, even the button layout is similar which should make it easier for an internal swap.

rl's FCC is ACJ8DE24A04
cl's fcc is A269ZUA108 which is not compatable. but the internal swap should be somewhat easy.

hopefully the immobilizer chip is the same types so its a direct swap.
btw i just looked it up, and its 05 rl and up.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Drifting

98-99 have immobilizer chips. but 97's dont.
so that means that the key can be used for a 97? but the remote may not be compatible?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by Euro925
so that means that the key can be used for a 97? but the remote may not be compatible?
yeah, as long as its a good cut. it would be alot easier to do it on the 97 because of the lack of an immobilizer chip.
here are some things that might help you out.
Originally Posted by MJL
This is a guide on how to do a TL key conversion with your current Honda Key. It will show you how to disassemble, transfer the immobilizer chip and program the remote for the remote locks. I was lucky enough to find out my dealer would cut the key for me, which they actually did for free. I was prepared to use the method members on an RSX forum used before I found out my dealer would cut my key for me. If you can't find a dealer of locksmith willing to cut your key blank for you then this link should help you if you want to transfer your key to the TL key fob.

http://forums..com/showpost.php?p=11...&postcount=127

Part Number: 35111-SEP-306

Key Comparisons:

TL Key Closeups:
Key 1
Key 2
Key 3

Key Partially Disassembled:

Next take NOTE of the spring position (indicated by red arrow below). This was the only snag in completing this for me. I couldn't remember the spring position when putting everything back together and had to refer back to pictures I had taken before I took it apart. After that there are three screws to remove to access the spring and key itself where the immobilizer chip is located. Before you begin with the screws make sure you have a quality, broad crosstip screwdriver for these screws. They are held very tightly with thread locker and if have a pointy or narrow phillips screwdriver you will most likely strip the heads.

Once you have the screws and cover off, take your spare honda key. Yes you need to use your spare as a donor for the immobilizer chip, but dont worry, once you are done you will still have 2 working keys. Remove the screw on the back and pop the cover off. Below is the location of the chip in your current key, under a small black cover. You will need to pry the chip out once you get the cover off. It is glued in, I sliced the side of the plastic off near the side of the chip to be able to get a small flathead in there to pry it out.

Once you have the chip out, set it aside and don't lose it. Now take your TL key and find the area with the rectangular cover, this is where the chip is located, and remove the cover. You will see that getting this chip out isn't as easy as the other one. I flipped the key over and drilled a small hole on the opposite side of the chip to be able to push it out, making sure to only drill a small depth so that I wouldnt damage the chip (even though I don't know why it would have mattered, its not the coded one, but still...).

Chips Are The Same:

Replace the chip with the coded one and put everything back together. Time to test it once everything is put back together. Make sure it works in all the locks and ignition, after you've transferred the chip it should start the car too, if you mixed the chips up and put the uncoded one back in your engine will just crank and not start.

To program the remotes for the lock feature do the following:

Insert one of your keys into the ignition (You will need all keys present to program them all at the same time, I'm not sure if you can simply add one in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Turn the key to the on position and all the way off to the point you can remove the key. Each time you turn to the on position, press the lock button on the remote. This needs to be done 4-5 times.

Once you locks actuate, you have entered the program mode. Simply press the lock button and each remote to program each one. Remove the key and test each one. If they don't work repeat the procedure again.

DISCLAIMER: Try this mod at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any damage done while anyone is attempting this mod.
Originally Posted by Marc08EX
This is not much different from jayknight's original DIY. Credit to him for doing it originally and providing much needed assistance.

1) Disassemble OEM key fob.
2) Disassemble inner plastic enclosure. (also shown in picture above; the one with the Siemens label) When disassembled, you should have front cover, buttons, circuit board, battery and back cover.
3) Do the same thing to the 09 TSX switchblade key fob. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...5&postcount=12 (Taken from LRP_Accord's post)
4) Now you have the 2 most important pieces of this conversion. The TSX circuit board (left) and the Accord circuit board (right). It is shown below:

5) The main goal is to move the lock, unlock, trunk and LED (optional) components to align to the positions located in the TSX circuit board. Image is shown below:

6) Remove the switches for lock, unlock and trunk. If you want your LED to function, remove this as well.
7) Solder wires to the removed switches and LED.
8) Place the components in the right location making sure that there's an insulation material in between the component and the circuit board to avoid shorting.
9) Cut wires to appropriate lengths and solder it to where it was originally placed.
10) Steps 8-10 will have to be done in different sequences. Use common sense.
11) The picture below shows what it should look like at the end: (Another solution is from jayknight's link: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=87)
12) Trace out the trunk lining from the white plastic cover of the TSX key fob shown below:

13) Remove TSX immobilizer chip which can be read from this link: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ht=switchblade
14) Make sure everything works. Test it out. If it works, reassemble everything back together.
15) DONE! Enjoy your custom TSX key.

*** DISCLAIMER: Do this mod at your own risk. You will be held responsible for your own actions. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by AznX TL; 12-07-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Drifting

^ sounds good thanks!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 AM
where is....

here's the cl's internal board if anyone want to see it to take a shot at the switchblade blade key.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started looking into a TL switchblade key swap several months ago. I ended up just letting it go realizing that it will be almost impossible to get the keyless entry to function correctly.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
where is....

Originally Posted by ajbent86
I started looking into a TL switchblade key swap several months ago. I ended up just letting it go realizing that it will be almost impossible to get the keyless entry to function correctly.
thats why you should take your CL's remote, and swap the board. it'll take alot of soldering and board trimming. but in the end it'll be worth it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Someone tried the board swap with a TL remote and said the board wouldn't fit anyone remember who that was?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
where is....

well ianderson pointed out the 05+ RL key is serrated, but it seems that the button layout is also similar to the CL remote's layout
RL switchblade:

CL board:
Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Someone tried the board swap with a TL remote and said the board wouldn't fit anyone remember who that was?
it seems you're right, the cl board is slightly bigger than the 2009 tsx switchblade key, and the the accord's key. but who knows about the rl's key.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
where is....

Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

it seems you're right, the cl board is slightly bigger than the 2009 tsx switchblade key, and the the accord's key. but who knows about the rl's key.
Been around a while ya know?