Squeaking brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking brakes?

Not everytime, but increasingly often, whenever I step on my brakes, it makes this annoying squeaking sound, like metal on metal, even when I press very lightly. It's weird, because like I said, it doesn't do ALL the time, mostly just after I've started the car in the morning...One person said that it might be the rotors, someone else said it might be the sensor telling me that I might have to change my front brake pads...Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what was the problem?
Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 AM
there's a festiva in

Mine started squealing too b/c of the shitty pads that were put on there. might be time to change pads and or machine rotors.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM
>

Usually means pads need to be replaced. When the indicator initially started on my CL it was a metallic sounding noise that would happen once in a while and gradually became more constant.

You should be able to look through the rim to see how much pad is left. I also believe the indicator is on the inner back pad and if you take a flashlight and look under there you should see how close the indicator is to the rotor.

The indicator is a metal tab attached to the pad and is a bit longer than the backing plate on the pad so when it hits it warns to replace pads before thge pad is completely warn. I couldn't get mine done for a few days and just bent the tab back a bit so it didn't squeel for the few days until my shop could replace them. Just don't forget about them if you do this!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:19 PM
#1 Yankees Hater

Just mostly after you start it in the morning?....sounds crazy but I've heard it could be the humidity or moisture. But if it happens more than that, then ur gonna have to take everyone else's advice and get to savin your money
Old 10-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

Had the same situation with my car. The brakes would do a metal on metal scratching noise but only every once in a while. After about a month they were doing it all the time and I got the brake pads changed. No more scratchy noise.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:52 PM
'07 November = STI

not on my cl.. but on my truck.. every morning it would squeak.. but as the car got used a little bit during the day.. the squeaking would dissapear.. and as soon as i replaced the pads, the noise in the morning stopped all together...

i think u need new pads..
Old 10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Flap.

it can also be an accumulation of brake dust, happened on my mom's odyssey.

id visually inspect the area see if anything seems out of place
Old 10-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally Posted by babyneo
Not everytime, but increasingly often, whenever I step on my brakes, it makes this annoying squeaking sound, like metal on metal, even when I press very lightly. It's weird, because like I said, it doesn't do ALL the time, mostly just after I've started the car in the morning...One person said that it might be the rotors, someone else said it might be the sensor telling me that I might have to change my front brake pads...Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what was the problem?
Could be needing new calipers also. I need them bad, I ordered them and should arrive tom, yippie!! The caliper wasn't squeezing all the way for the pad would skip against the rotor and that caused noise for me. Hopefully next week I should be nice and quiet.