Springs, Shocks, Coil Overs...what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Springs, Shocks, Coil Overs...what to do??

I am ready to order the suspension upgrades to get my ride tighter, and lower. However, I am not sure which way to go....
  • Option 1 - Lowering springs only. Obviously, this will be the least expensive approach, however, I hear this is only getting you half way there. Are the factory/default shocks to spongy? I may have lowered my vehicle with some tighter springs, but will I run into having too much "floating" effect?
  • Option 2 - Lowering springs and replacement shocks. I would imagine this will solve the floating, spongy issue possible above, while increasing the overall cost involved.
  • Option 3 - Coil-overs. From what I see here, these come in either shocked, or non-shocked form. In non-shocked form, what makes a coil over any differnet then just getting springs? Is there any advantage to coil-overs vs. springs, or shocked coil-overs vs. springs/shocks? I can only imagine the difference would be in flexibility in mixing and matching the springs/shocks.
Also, I see most kits listed for the 3.0, 99 CL as being 1.4" (eg. Eibach). It looks like most of you here have 2" drops (which is what I want). IS that the case? Or do you guys actually have the 1.4" kits?

Lastly, how hard is the camber adjustment to install? Do I just put it in and take it to be aligned, or let the alignment place do all of that?

Anyway, what are my options here, and the expected costs, and what is the suggested method for me to hit 2" drop with good, tight ride? I believe I can put any of these on myself with some tools, a jack, and a spring compressor. I would soooo like to keep my lowering costs around 300 or less if possible

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:42 AM
kept the beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends on how much u wanna spend i have eibach sportlines with kyb agx shocks rides smooth sits pretty low though if u dont wanna go real low get eibach prokit
Old 10-10-2002, 12:45 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Eibachs (Pro-kit or Sportlines) and KYB AGX struts are gonna run you about $500, not including installation (add camber kit for Sportlines).

If $300 is your max, the I would suggest just springs, but less than a 2" drop. You still need $$$ for an alignment.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:52 AM
Still trolling

Well, like an ass, I posted this before doing a good search on the board. Here is what I have found:
  1. The sportline drop (~2" right?) will probably look the best and ride the best (with no rubbing) with 17" wheels
  2. Replace the struts/shocks with something other than what is on there currently, otherwise your in for it....
  3. If you have no help, only the spare tire jack, no compressor, no impact wrench, no breaker bar, no spring compressor, no large tools....get it done elsewhere. I am capable, but no longer have tools at my finger tips.
I see some of you have the sportlines on your CL. Since its not listed on the Eibach site as an option, are you actually using the 97 Accord version?

Regardless, I am going to head to discount tire tomorrow to get a quote. They have the Eibach's, so I will see what they have for dampners as well. If the retail on them are too high, I will order them from Adventon, and jsut have them install them. Hell you have to pay them to align it anyway, for a bit more, let them do the whole thing....
Old 10-10-2002, 01:09 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
This is in response to your 2nd listings...

1. IMO i think the prokit is a waste of money...only barely gets ride of the gap...to me the sportline is needed to "fully" drop the car to my desire...
2. from all the information i've gathered from this site you should get shock/springs at the same time...2 reasons
A. It would be cheaper in a sense because you wouldn't have
to pay for double the installation cost..
B. There is a chance that ur stock shocks will blow...more likely
if you get the sportline drop...

Hope this helps you out...also glad to see you used the search function..it should have helped ...but i'm tired...see ya
Old 10-10-2002, 08:38 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by hornyleprechaun
This is in response to your 2nd listings...

1. IMO i think the prokit is a waste of money...only barely gets ride of the gap...
I disagree! The Pro-kit does much more than close the gap. the ride quality is much improved over the OEM spring. Taking 1.4 to 1.5 inches out of the ride height lowers the car's center of gravity and helps with performance (cornering).

Granted it doesn't go the extra .2"-.3" in lowering depth (like the Sportlines), but they certainly aren't a waste.

For me, the Pro-kit drop is perfect (but then, I'm an old fart). :P
Old 10-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Still trolling

Well let me also ask this....

Since I am only going by pictures, I think the Sportline would look the best for me with 17" wheels. For now, I can't afford to get the 17"'s and tires, so I will be riding the factory 16's.

My question is this, is the ride considerably worse with the Sport-Lines? I am afraid the pro-lines won't be enough for me with the 17's.

I too am an old fart (well, 28 w/kids ), but I want to only have to do this once. I would hate to get the pro-lines and think it's not enough, or get the sportlines and think it's too much....
Old 10-10-2002, 08:53 AM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

I agree with dust.

The only critisism I have about my Pro-Kit drop is I wish the front springs dropped it another 1/2" or so.
But depending on what grade I park on sometimes I don't even notice it.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:05 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Personally, I think the Sportlines look better on the 2.2/2.3 because of the reduced weight. Pro-Kits on the 2.2/2.3, I don't think look as good (too high).

If you really want a "lowered" look, then get the Sportlines. I didn't want "the slammed look", I just wanted to close up the wheel gap, and improve performance. The Pro-Kit fit my needs perfectly.

I agree with JamzCL; I wish the front end was just a little lower.

I guess the idea set-up for me would be the Sportlines in the front, and the Pro-Kit in the rear.

BTW: I'm 37. :P
Old 10-10-2002, 09:08 AM
Still trolling

Dust, I was just looking at your pics, and that drop looks exactly like what I want. BUT, did it require a camber adjustment? How long would my factory shocks last with that 1.5" drop?
Old 10-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Still trolling

I noticed that the 3.2CL has an Eibach kit that lowers the front more than the rear by .3" which would be perfect on ours. Do you know of any spring kits for ours that do this?

http://www.adventon.com/acb/showdetl...10345&CATID=20

edit: Found theses: http://www.adventon.com/acb/showdetl...11124&CATID=20 Any good?
Old 10-10-2002, 09:47 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

No camber kit required on my drop (just an alignment).

I'm not familiar with any springs for our car that allow for a lower drop in the front (versus the rear).

I'm not familiar with intrax's quality or performance.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Still trolling

Well dang. I not real comfortable going with a product not tested by the experts here, but I do like the fact it's -1.8 F -1.6 R
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 AM
nothing

i have H&R race springs for a 94-97 accord and they look and handle perfectly (imo). if you want to keep your stock rims or get 17's i'd get race springs or sportlines. i had prokits and they handled good, but after i decided i didnt want 18's...the drop wasnt enough for me. also, get shocks and springs so you save on installation costs. the alignment hasnt been a problem so far either.

springs alone will handle better but springs and shocks will be a night and day difference. if you dont take your car to the track, tokico blues (non-adjustable)are good enough, but if you still rather have adjustable, get kyb agx or tokico illuminas.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:33 AM
nothing

i tried to post pics of my prokit and H&R's but i cant figure out how to. go to this link if you want to see.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291277667
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 PM
fellow MASShole

i have the sportlines and tokico blues ... after the install price .. and the price of the alignment with the camber kit ... i wish i woulda just spent the extra couple hundred and got good coilovers ... thats my .02

maCe
Old 10-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Still trolling

Ok guys, take a look at what I have decided (for the most part) to get and tell me if it seems good to go:
What are your thoughts? I haven't decided on 17 or 18 inch wheels yet, but I think this drop will accomadate either and look good either way. I don't want rubbing!!

Is AutoDynamic and AdVenton good places to buy from? I have my clear bumpers on order with AutoDynamic now (back ordered).

My main concern is the compatibility of the parts I have choosen, the quality of the camber kit, and the prices I have found (are there better prices?) By the way, who installs the camber kit? THe place that does the alignment, or the guys installing the shocks and springs?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2002, 02:20 AM
Golf Addict!!!

Originally posted by chrisbpickering
Ok guys, take a look at what I have decided (for the most part) to get and tell me if it seems good to go:
What are your thoughts? I haven't decided on 17 or 18 inch wheels yet, but I think this drop will accomadate either and look good either way. I don't want rubbing!!

Is AutoDynamic and AdVenton good places to buy from? I have my clear bumpers on order with AutoDynamic now (back ordered).

My main concern is the compatibility of the parts I have choosen, the quality of the camber kit, and the prices I have found (are there better prices?) By the way, who installs the camber kit? THe place that does the alignment, or the guys installing the shocks and springs?

Thanks!
Thanks for posting your choices, Chris. I currently have the Eibach Sportlines on my 98 2.3 (you can see the pics via the link in my sig). I've had them on for about 6+ months and my shocks are in definite need of replacement. I wouldn't say they looked "slammed" but they are exactly the right amount of drop for me, low enough not to rub.

I'm planning to get Koni Yellows myself due to the reviews I've read and their reputation as being the best available. I also will probably buy a camber kit since my front tires are balding and I figure I will need them. Since the tires have to be replaced, I think I'm going with Yokohama AVS ES100 since they are very affordable ($73. each) and received generally favorable reviews at tirerack.com

Good luck with your choices and post some pics up when you're done!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:14 AM
fellow MASShole

good choices .. but honestly ... ur gunna rub occasionally with a 2.2 inch in the front
Old 10-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Still trolling

Well I just dropped off the car to have the springs, wheels and tires done. Having the Pro-Kit, 18x7.5 Black Opal Konig Verdict's with 225/40's put on. And they are painting the calipers red too.

For me, I htink the pro-kits are going to be the best for me. Close up the gap in the wheel well, while giving a little stiffer ride. Any lower, and I would have had to screw with the camber and alignment, etc, which took me out of my price window.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Atl/Mia reppin'

Originally posted by chrisbpickering
Any lower, and I would have had to screw with the camber and alignment, etc, which took me out of my price window.
Even though you're "just" getting the prokit, please make sure you get your alignment done...it will definitely need it. Oh and make sure you post some pics once all the work is done
Old 10-15-2002, 07:43 PM
A-CL Member

Definitely post pictures. I'm considering the same shock/spring setup for my 99 2.3.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:06 AM
Still trolling

Well, this did not turn out as expected.....

I dropped the car off to have the wheels and tires put on, the prokit springs added and the calipers painted. I get a call @ 4PM (when the car was supposed to be ready) to find out that the springs did not show up. So, me being as impatient as I am, I asked if there were any sportlines available locally. He called around, and he found some Intrax springs (1.75f/1.5r). Now, I knew that I had heard some folks were dissapointed with Intrax, and that the ride was sloppy. At the same time, some folks indicated they loved them because it gave them the drop they were looking for, while maintaining a more "OEM" cushioned ride the the stiffer springs from Eibach. So I said what the heck....lets get the Intrax springs.

So finally 8PM rolls around, I go around back to see how much longer, and they are almost done. The front was sitting on the ground, finished an the back was up being finished. From the looks of things, I was so-far pleased with the way the front was sitting on the new wheels. It was the exact drop I was hoping for. Once they finished the rear and set her down, there was 4-5 inches of space between the tire and the fender. So I thought to myself....it will settle down, it can't possibly stay this way.... Well, I get in to go home for the night (gotta bring it back in the morning so they can finish the calipers, painting them bright red), and start up the car. Get ready to go and notice the E-Brake is pulled. So I let it down, and it was as cloose to having air suspension as I want The back end dropped down to where it was supposed to be

All in all, I must say, the way the car sits on the Intrax springs is perfect for me. I have about 1 finger on the front, and 1.5 in the rear. Drove it to get the pizza, and head home to a wife and two daughters that were no doubt pissed at daddy for taking so damn long. The ride proved to be reassuring. While a little stiffer, it still road with a comfortable ride. Obviously, I can't make a true observation for a while until the springs settle a bit more. I think all in all, I will be satisfied. A close to factory ride (cushiness for a lack of better terms) and a lowered sport look is fine for me. It does seem "spongy" when going over speed bumps too quick, and I would imagine a similar feel over larger, higher speed "hills" in the road. I expect this can be kept more under control with the right shocks/struts? Please chime in with your thoughts there.

I still need to go get it aligned and the camber checked. I am fairly sure the camber on the front is going to need to be done, and possibly the rear. On top of that, I still have the factory struts and shocks in (30k miles on the car). I am sure those won't last real long considering. Maybe they will though, I only put about 4-5k miles a year on my cars.

As soon as I wash it, and get the calipers finished, I will take some pictures.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:56 AM
Cause stock sux.

I think H&R has the same drop as Intrax, with H&R being a more reputable company. You're gonna wish you did the shocks with the springs cause now you have to pay installation separate.

Springs also depends on if you have a 2.2/2.3 or 3.0 cause the 3.0 has a heavier engine, thus lowering the front more.

I put Eibach Prokits with KYB AGX shocks on mine...ended up the front has 1 1/2 finger gap and the rear has 1 finger gap. It also needed no camber correction. Atlanta has alot of hills and what not, so even with the "minor" drop, I've still been hitting the ground with my exhaust and rubber guard. Thus, the drop was a perfect compromise b/t looks, performance, and price.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Still trolling

Luckily, I don't have hills here in flat ass Texas
Old 10-16-2002, 12:03 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sooo...can we clear this all up.??..

If you want SLAMMED and more lowered you get sportlines
If you want lowered a little, get prokit??
Old 10-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Golf Addict!!!

Originally posted by Acura3.0CL
Sooo...can we clear this all up.??..

If you want SLAMMED and more lowered you get sportlines
If you want lowered a little, get prokit??
Pretty much, except... if you want it slammed, having 17" or 18" rims with Sportlines will do it. Stock rims with the Sportlines will show a noticeable drop, but not slammed, IMO.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Still trolling

Yeah, I will get pics here soon. The sportlines "look" almost jsut liek these Intrax as far as the drop goes. However, the Intrax give me a little more in the front (many have stated that the front is higher than the rear with the Eibach Prokit that have equal front and rear drop distances).

The car is being aligned and having the camber checked right now. Then the calipers are getting painted. After I get it back this afternoon, I will wash it (sooo dirty right now) and take some pictures.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:00 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So...Eibach's Sport Lines will drop my cl with 16's and when i get my 17's it will make it look slammed?? (im wanting about a finger space between the tire and wheel well) How much $ is Sportlines?? What elce do you need besides the sportlines to drop the CL SAFELY....and whats this all about a camber kit...what does that do?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:23 PM
Cause stock sux.

So...Eibach's Sport Lines will drop my cl with 16's and when i get my 17's it will make it look slammed?? (im wanting about a finger space between the tire and wheel well) How much $ is Sportlines?? What elce do you need besides the sportlines to drop the CL SAFELY....and whats this all about a camber kit...what does that do?
If you get a prokit, you don't need a camber kit. If you get sportlines, you do. To put it in the most simple terms, camber kits help evenly distribute tire wear.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Golf Addict!!!

Originally posted by Got Rice?
If you get a prokit, you don't need a camber kit. If you get sportlines, you do. To put it in the most simple terms, camber kits help evenly distribute tire wear.
Which camber kits do you recommend, Djinn? Where would be the best place to get them? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:59 PM
Still trolling

I don't know about slammed. There is more then wheel size to take into consideration. If you go with 17's nd choose a say, 225/45 tire, the overall diameter of the wheel and tire won't be noticably differnet then the 16" setup you have now. If you want a 1 finger distance between the tire and the fender, the sportlines should get you there. But that is by far not slammed.

Also, the lower the profile the tire, the more gap you will have between the tire and fender.