Slim Fans & After Market Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007 | 05:46 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Question Slim Fans & After Market Radiators

I just bought my CL 3 months ago and just finished installing a turbo kit but the slim fans that came w/ the kit don't seem to be cooling enough after a lil' bit of "pleasure cruising" and then, let's say, get stuck in b2b traffic for more than about five min. I start to overheat . The radiator is a Koyo and the fans just look like generic black slim fans. I've never been good at website searching, no patience I guess, sorry... Any Suggestions?
Old 04-14-2007 | 06:24 PM
Pro

How do you know you're overheating, do you have an aftermarket thermostat or are you looking off the stock one?
What size slim fans are you running and are they set-up to push or pull the air?
Do you have any ceramic coating or heat wrap on your manifold or downpipe?

Also, post up some pictures of your set-up or at least give some specs as to what your turbo set-up consists of. I don't think anyone else on this site has a turbo 2.2 at the moment
Old 04-15-2007 | 08:30 AM
is Slightly Stoopid

It's a stock thermostat. Who makes an aftermarket one?
I'm not sure how to answer the fan size question, the blades are about (A/C) 10" & (radi.) 11" in diameter and they push air on the radiatior but have no name on them.
No I haven't heat wrapped anything, yet.

& I'll get some pics on next post.
Old 04-15-2007 | 11:56 AM
Racer

I have some questions for you is your turbo a T3 OR A T4 and how long did it take you to get all the piping together cause nobody makes a turbo kit for those engines trust me I have called and checked every where.I would also like to know how much you spent and the specs.I have a shit load done to my baby and that's my missing piece to geth the f23 on the map.
Old 04-15-2007 | 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Def post some pics, where are you located?
Old 04-15-2007 | 02:08 PM
Bagel Bomber

have you tried some redline water wetter?

make sure there aren't any leaks in the cooling system. They can cause over heating.

If you want to take your thermostat out and place it in a pot with water and a thermometer. Figure out what temp the thermostat opens. Then see if the parts store has soemthing that opens at a lower temp.
Old 04-15-2007 | 03:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 97'CL2.2Turbo
It's a stock thermostat. Who makes an aftermarket one?
I'm not sure how to answer the fan size question, the blades are about (A/C) 10" & (radi.) 11" in diameter and they push air on the radiatior but have no name on them.
No I haven't heat wrapped anything, yet.

& I'll get some pics on next post.
I'm not sure who makes an aftermarket thermostat but the stock one is known for being inaccurate when dealing with the added heat of a turbo. The Koyo rad and slim fans should be good enough to keep the temps down but there is more you can do. Getting a ceramic coating on your manifold and heat wrapping the downpipe will make a big difference.
Have you checked the basics like having enough coolant and making sure the fans are turning on at the right time? You could try bleeding the cooling system to make sure there's no air trapped inside.
Old 04-15-2007 | 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Blenz
I'm not sure who makes an aftermarket thermostat but the stock one is known for being inaccurate when dealing with the added heat of a turbo. The Koyo rad and slim fans should be good enough to keep the temps down but there is more you can do. Getting a ceramic coating on your manifold and heat wrapping the downpipe will make a big difference.
Have you checked the basics like having enough coolant and making sure the fans are turning on at the right time? You could try bleeding the cooling system to make sure there's no air trapped inside.
i think Mugen still make one for the accord.
Old 04-15-2007 | 05:36 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Def post some pics, where are you located?
I'm sorry I don't have a digital but give me a day & I'll get some pics up. & my home town is O-Town baby... Central beautful f****n' Florida!
Old 04-15-2007 | 05:42 PM
...nO phOtOshOp...

Originally Posted by USMC2.3CL
I have some questions for you is your turbo a T3 OR A T4 and how long did it take you to get all the piping together cause nobody makes a turbo kit for those engines trust me I have called and checked every where.I would also like to know how much you spent and the specs.I have a shit load done to my baby and that's my missing piece to geth the f23 on the map.
The 94-97 accord kit/EM(O OO O) works w/ 97 cL
Old 04-15-2007 | 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

he still could have boughten a 5th gen accord kit and just done a little modifcations to some of the parts
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:00 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

It's a T3/T4 hybrid rated for 575hp.
& sorry to tell you but I bought the entire kit, exhaust, injectors, Programmed ECU tuned for 7lbs., piping, pretty much everything off of this kid w/ a 94'-97' 2-dr accord 2.2.
So I didn't have to actually DO anything but put it on. ($2200) One of those diamond in the rough kinda things, so when he said "o.k. I'll sell it", I didn't say "how?", just "how fast can you get it off your car?" sorry man.
If you can't find piping anywhere online the best suggestion I can give you is talk to your local turbo/aftermarket carpart shop grease monkeys/motorheads.
There is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to this serious of a mod.
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:01 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Originally Posted by Dez97CandyCL
The 94-97 accord kit/EM(O OO O) works w/ 97 cL
Yes
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:04 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
have you tried some redline water wetter?

make sure there aren't any leaks in the cooling system. They can cause over heating.

If you want to take your thermostat out and place it in a pot with water and a thermometer. Figure out what temp the thermostat opens. Then see if the parts store has soemthing that opens at a lower temp.
What is redline water wetter?

No leaks.

Thanx for the tip. I'll check that out.
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:08 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Originally Posted by 972xghost
he still could have boughten a 5th gen accord kit and just done a little modifcations to some of the parts
No 5th gen anything as far as I know. I know some of the parts are probably universal but I don't think any parts specifically for that model accord.
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:20 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

The only thing I would need to do is bleed the system, everything else is o.k. I'll try that...
and exactly how would someone go about doing that?
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:25 PM
...nO phOtOshOp...

What is redline water wetter?

No leaks.

Thanx for the tip. I'll check that out.
def. dont use that liquid copper bullshit that u can pick up from per boys or advance... the shit will ruin ur engine if it gets in ur coolant system-> (thermostat etc.)
Old 04-15-2007 | 06:34 PM
...nO phOtOshOp...

the redline will lower ur coolant around 20-30 deg. which of course will help the engine stay cooler n run smoothier... along w/ rust n corrosion protection good in-expensive choice
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:04 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

the redline will lower ur coolant around 20-30 deg. which of course will help the engine stay cooler n run smoothier... along w/ rust n corrosion protection good in-expensive choice
Where would I be able to pick some up?
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:09 PM
Pro

The only thing I would need to do is bleed the system, everything else is o.k. I'll try that...
and exactly how would someone go about doing that?
To Bleed Air From The Coolant System:
(Beginning with a cold engine)

1. Loosen (but do not completely remove) the air bleed bolt that is located on the top of the thermostat housing (follow the upper radiator hose from the radiator to where the hose connects to the thermostat housing - the bleed bolt is located a few inches inward, behind the thermostat).
2. While keeping an eye on the bleeder bolt to look for bubbles as the coolant starts to run out, fill the radiator to the bottom of the radiator filler neck with coolant. Tighten the bleed bolt as soon as the coolant is running out in a steady stream without any bubbles.
3. With the radiator cap off, start the engine and let it run until the engine warms up (the radiator fan has come on at least twice). Then, if necessary, add more coolant to bring the level up to the bottom of the filler neck. Put the radiator cap back on and tighten it completely. Allow the engine to continue to run until the radiator fan comes on, then look things over to make sure the bleed bolt or anywhere else is not leaking.
Old 04-15-2007 | 07:55 PM
...nO phOtOshOp...

Where would I be able to pick some up?
http://www.autobarn.net/wawebyre.html
or
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ter&category0=
Old 04-16-2007 | 09:05 AM
Racer

if you would take a guess what would your 1/4 mile et be? Put a mod list and try to get a pic up
Old 04-16-2007 | 12:55 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

if you would take a guess what would your 1/4 mile et be? Put a mod list and try to get a pic up
Well I honestly couldn't give an accurate et., but I'm hoping to be sitting comfortably in the 13's. I got a digital so I should have some pics up by this evening.

T3/T4 Hybrid Precision Turbo
ECU Tuned w/ Neptune on 7lbs.
Fidanza 8.5lb Flywheel ***
ACT Stage 2 Clutch ***
Greddy BOV
DSM 450cc Injectors
Turbonetics Delta Wastegate
Turbunetics Evolution Wastegate (upgrade )***
South Florida Performance Turbo/Exhaust manifold
3" Downpipe & 3" Exhaust w/ A'PEXi N1 <<< Sounds deep
3" Piping under the hood
The intercooler doesn't have a name on it but it's freakin huge
PSPEC Short Shifter ***
Greddy turbo timer ***
Autometer Boost & Oil pressure gauges ***

*** Parts currently collecting dust on my garage floor

The setup doesn't run correctly right now & some of these things I still have to put on, but that would require me not being lazy... and i'm just too damn good at that.
I boost a lil in first but after that nothing in any gear unless I'm cruising in 4th and ease into boost, it goes a lil then too but then cuts out like the rest of the gears.
I don't know if this is true or not but I was told that 94'-97' accord tranny gear ratio's are shorter than the 97'-99' CL's (2.2 only, I didn't discuss the 3.0's), so I think that might have something to do w/ this kit not working right because it was tuned for that lighter, shorter geared accord.
I'm throwing it on the dyno w/ in the next week or so to get all these kinks worked out and see the true #'s.
I'll keep you guys updated. Thanx for all the helpfull info.
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

nice mod list. the accord ex and 2.2cl have the same gear ratios. but there is a possibility that DX/LX/SE have different gear ratios. 3.0's are totally different stories all together.

cant wait to see some pictures.
Old 04-16-2007 | 04:32 PM
Racer

and I thought I was the next cocoa I guess some1 beat me 2 it. No worries come this summer I am snagging that turbo. Why are you only pushing 7 lbs can you push anymore. can't wait for those pics.
Old 04-17-2007 | 01:26 AM
Pro

Well I honestly couldn't give an accurate et., but I'm hoping to be sitting comfortably in the 13's. I got a digital so I should have some pics up by this evening.

T3/T4 Hybrid Precision Turbo
ECU Tuned w/ Neptune on 7lbs.
Fidanza 8.5lb Flywheel ***
ACT Stage 2 Clutch ***
Greddy BOV
DSM 450cc Injectors
Turbonetics Delta Wastegate
Turbunetics Evolution Wastegate (upgrade )***
South Florida Performance Turbo/Exhaust manifold
3" Downpipe & 3" Exhaust w/ A'PEXi N1 <<< Sounds deep
3" Piping under the hood
The intercooler doesn't have a name on it but it's freakin huge
PSPEC Short Shifter ***
Greddy turbo timer ***
Autometer Boost & Oil pressure gauges ***

*** Parts currently collecting dust on my garage floor

The setup doesn't run correctly right now & some of these things I still have to put on, but that would require me not being lazy... and i'm just too damn good at that.
I boost a lil in first but after that nothing in any gear unless I'm cruising in 4th and ease into boost, it goes a lil then too but then cuts out like the rest of the gears.
I don't know if this is true or not but I was told that 94'-97' accord tranny gear ratio's are shorter than the 97'-99' CL's (2.2 only, I didn't discuss the 3.0's), so I think that might have something to do w/ this kit not working right because it was tuned for that lighter, shorter geared accord.
I'm throwing it on the dyno w/ in the next week or so to get all these kinks worked out and see the true #'s.
I'll keep you guys updated. Thanx for all the helpfull info.
Sounds like a nice set-up but I don't really understand why you aren't building any boost. Do you know the specs of the turbo (compressor wheel trim, turbine a/r)? If it's rated for 575hp then it's possible that it's too big for the F22b1 and you're not building any boost until the very end of your powerband. The 3" intercooler piping is also pretty big and will add to the lag.
As for the guages being on the garage floor, does that mean you have no way of monitoring how much boost you're actually running?
Old 04-17-2007 | 06:37 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Sounds like a nice set-up but I don't really understand why you aren't building any boost. Do you know the specs of the turbo (compressor wheel trim, turbine a/r)? If it's rated for 575hp then it's possible that it's too big for the F22b1 and you're not building any boost until the very end of your powerband. The 3" intercooler piping is also pretty big and will add to the lag.
As for the guages being on the garage floor, does that mean you have no way of monitoring how much boost you're actually running?
I don't know what I was thinkin' when I said 3" for the intercooler piping, it's really 2 1/5".
And about the guages, until today they were on the garage floor, but when I didn't have them on before it really didn't matter because I was barely boosting in 1st and only 1st gear at 1/2 throttle, I couldn't even push the pedal to the floor to even get a taste of real boost.
You guys have no idea how much this sucks.
AND ABOUT THE PICS, SORRY BUT I'M HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES W/ THE DAMN DIGITAL. I PROMISE I'LL GET THEM UP SOON.
I put the Evolution on today along w/ the guages cause I'm goin on the dyno tomorrow at Central Florida Turbo so they can tune this beast. Cross your fingers and pray to the Honda gods for me fellas.
I won't get the clutch and flywheel on untill after it's dyno'd so the #'s won't be exact to what I will really have in a couple weeks, but close.

I'll probably start a new thread for all the pics & dyno #'s.
Old 04-17-2007 | 06:50 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

and I thought I was the next cocoa I guess some1 beat me 2 it. No worries come this summer I am snagging that turbo. Why are you only pushing 7 lbs can you push anymore. can't wait for those pics.
Who or what is cocoa?
I bought the setup w/ the ECU already tuned (w/ Neptune) on 7lbs, I might be able to push a lil' more but I don't want to chance it.
I think going from 145 hp to 200+ or maybe even 300+hp will satisfy me for some time.
& this crap gets expensive, so right now 7 lbs. works for me untill I can buy pistons, rings, & rods. Then I'll probably up it to anywhere from 12-15lbs max.
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Cocoa is a user on here that swapped a J35 3.5L odyssey block, and a CL-S head with 6 speed tranny into his 3.0 CL

Search for threads cocoa has started or 3.5CL
Old 04-17-2007 | 11:01 PM
...nO phOtOshOp...

Who or what is cocoa?
r u fcukin kidin me! cocoa tell em whats up
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:17 AM
Sounders FC

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Cocoa is a user on here that swapped a J35 3.5L odyssey block, and a CL-S head with 6 speed tranny into his 3.0 CL

Search for threads cocoa has started or 3.5CL
Cocoa is also the dried and partially fermented fatty seed of the cacao tree from which chocolate is made.
Old 04-18-2007 | 01:12 AM
kl-de

^lol this guys car is interesting but seems to have lots of problems, we need pics

r u fcukin kidin me! cocoa tell em whats up
its ok man calm down
Old 04-18-2007 | 11:52 AM
...nO phOtOshOp...

Originally Posted by abouelmm
^lol this guys car is interesting but seems to have lots of problems, we need pics

its ok man calm down

im good now....

Originally Posted by Danil ACE
Cocoa is also the dried and partially fermented fatty seed of the cacao tree from which chocolate is made.
but thats amaz-za-zing.... >chocalate
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:18 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Ummmmmm... H E L P !
could someone explain to me exactly WTF I do to get these pics up.
???[IMG]xxx[/IMG]??? How does this work?
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:31 PM
...nO phOtOshOp...

Ummmmmm... H E L P !
could someone explain to me exactly WTF I do to get these pics up.
???[IMG]xxx[/IMG]??? How does this work?
[IMG] url address of pic[/IMG] thats it
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:36 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

[IMG] url address of pic[/IMG] thats it
how do I get the pics url address?
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:50 PM
Safety Car

you make an account at photobucket.com and upload them there, then after you upload them, it will show a URL under the image, and just copy that here.
Old 04-18-2007 | 01:09 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

I still need to cut about 2 1/2" out of the front bumber support to raise the intercooler. But you can't say that doesn't look gangsta!

the dump tube is getting welded & mounted today so no more dirty turbo
Old 04-18-2007 | 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

fucking sweet man. wow that FMIC is ridicoulously huge. lol
Old 04-18-2007 | 05:53 PM
i like acura

you have stock internals right?

Quick Reply: Slim Fans & After Market Radiators