Replacing DOOR PANEL (after fixing the window regulator)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 PM
You know him right?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacing DOOR PANEL (after fixing the window regulator)

So after much research...and driving home through Hurricane Ernesto's beautiful weather with my driver's side window completely open...I managed to replace the window regulator...now this thread isn't about replacing the regulator (I used the DIY and it was a great help).....I put the regulator in and the window worked just fine so I decided to replace the rest of the door and get on with my life...

however, to my surprise after I finished putting the panel on, the went to close the window and the motor was working OVERTIME...struggling like crazy...i got the window to close so I could actually use my car, but now I'm afraid of using the window because it sounds like the motor is working so hard it will burn out. My guess is that the window is binding with the door panel, but I'm not sure where or how...most likely near the front....did anyone else have any similar problems after replacing their door panel?? or does anyone have any tips on replacing the door panel?

thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The wiper strips (inside and outside) on the upper side of the door and door panel press against the window. I would suggest removing and inspecting the door panel to be sure it's in place correctly. Also clean the strips carefully and apply a little silicon oil to lubricate. You might also inspect your regulator installation. Is it possible that window is not correctly centered in the track guides? Window was removed to install regulator, so theres some potential for this problem also.

good luck
Old 09-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts
PUT YOUR WINDOW ALL THE WAY DOWN FIRST!

Then, slide the top in along the groove where the window lies. Then, carefully bend the panel forward, (make sure you have all the clips snapped back in correctly), and then snap the clips back in. I usually finish the process with a few backhands

The trick is to roll down the window, and get the top in, without the top trim piece trying to seperate, from then on, it's easy
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 AM
You know him right?

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
PUT YOUR WINDOW ALL THE WAY DOWN FIRST!

Then, slide the top in along the groove where the window lies. Then, carefully bend the panel forward, (make sure you have all the clips snapped back in correctly), and then snap the clips back in. I usually finish the process with a few backhands

The trick is to roll down the window, and get the top in, without the top trim piece trying to seperate, from then on, it's easy
The window was all the way down (from the install)....I slid the front of the door panel into position and then the back part just fell into place. All of the clips/screws lined up perfectly too. I was so happy at the end until I put the window up.

TEXAS: I was worried about the alignment of the window myself when i was installing the regulator and the bolts.

IS there a proper/best way to tighten those 6 bolts (4 for the regulator, 2 for the window)...I tightened them when the window was in the down position but there was still a bit of play when all 6 bolts are loose. ANY IDEAS???
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
damn i hope i dont have the same problem as you... i got to take my door panel off to fix my door latch (i cant open my door from the inside or outside!). I pretty much gotta DUKES OF HAZARD my shit to get in!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpCL23
damn i hope i dont have the same problem as you... i got to take my door panel off to fix my door latch (i cant open my door from the inside or outside!). I pretty much gotta DUKES OF HAZARD my shit to get in!

shit you do that anyways.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:03 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpCL23
drop your window... get inside the car and working from where your light is, start to pop off the panel (first remove all the screws)...keep in mind you wont get that much tabs off but you have to get enuff to get the side where light is up.... you might break a tab or 2, but thats your only option.. thats what i did when my lock mech froze...
Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,453 Likes on 3,049 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridnrg
shit you do that anyways.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
You know him right?

okay so its all fixed finally...I looked closely at the door panel and the top chrome piece was bent a bit so it was pressing against the window causing it to go up and down VERY slowly..thanks for the replies