Please Help!!! Cruise Control?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 10:54 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please Help!!! Cruise Control?????

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME OUT TO READ/REPLY!!

Hey guys I need some help. My cruise control stopped working. It has been this way for a while now and I jus been too lazy to get around to it. The little green light on the button itself doesn't light up; neither does the light in the instrument cluster when the 'set accel' button is pressed.

When my head lights (or parking lights) are on; the lights on either the button or cluster work and the car does not keep constant speed when set accel button is pressed.

When my head lights are totally in the off position; the light on the button still does not work but the light in the instrument cluster will turn on and constant speed will be kept when the 'set accel' button is pressed.

Whats going on here? Why the hell does the lights have an affect on my cruse control?? I was thinking it was something i did when i installed my indiglo's cuz i hooked the indiglos up to the stock dimmer switch. But i've had this problem with the cruise about a month before i even got my indiglos.

Please help ASAP guys; I'm goin on a trip in about a week and I'm gonna be in despirate need of cruse control if i'm gonna keep myself outta trouble.

Thanx again; and please help once again.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i have no idea but have u check ur fuses? one in engine compartment and one by the driver kick panel.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:15 AM

I tried that but when i looked at the panels for what each fuse is for; i didn't see anything that relates to cruse control in either of the two fuse boxes.

Please help me out here guys...
Old 05-23-2002, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

check all fuses and make shure they all are good. SOmetimes there are multifunctional. For example my clock blew out and turned out to be "back up radio fuse"
Old 05-23-2002, 07:11 PM
Lurker

97AcuraCL...

I'm in the same boat as you....somewhere between installing my CAI in february and now my Cruise Control stopped working. The CC light comes on, but i can't set a constant speed at all....what happened to our Cruise Controls!!!
Old 05-23-2002, 10:58 PM

i know someone on this board knows; just too lazy to read my whole post. but i wont give up on this topic till i get some info i can actually use; someone please help ASAP
Old 05-24-2002, 01:39 AM
Daaaamn Gina

this happened to me. this is what happened with mine:

the plastic spool type thing that catches the cable for the cruise control was broken. i had to get a whole new throttle body assembly.

all the lights would come on and stuff, it just wouldn't set.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

hmm maybe u guys disconnected someting while installing ur intakes. I have an AEM also . i need to check and see if my criuse works. I barely use it so i need to check it out. Never thought about that,
Old 05-24-2002, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Pull it out

Try pulling out the cruise control. Put a small flat screw driver in the small opening at the bottom and pry it out. Put some tissue over the blade of the screw driver so you don't scrape. You could see if anything is disconnected behind there or cut. Or it may not reveal anything at all...just a thought.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This might sound crazy, but my cruise control stopped working because of a burned out tail light. Check all three rear lights and check the running/brake lights as well.

The indicator on the dash didn't say I had a burned bulb, but I did.

Works now!
Old 05-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Below are the electrical wiring diagrams for your cruise control from the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. You should be able to identify the bnad component or problem from these.

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl1a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl2a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl3a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl4a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl5a.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-25-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by raiacl
this happened to me. this is what happened with mine:

the plastic spool type thing that catches the cable for the cruise control was broken. i had to get a whole new throttle body assembly.

all the lights would come on and stuff, it just wouldn't set.
WEll i dont have an intake so i know it has nothing to do with that. And the cruise WILL set so long as the headlights are off. When the headlights are on; it will NOT set. (but all the lights would work *one on button, and one in cluster)
Old 05-25-2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by RhoXS
Below are the electrical wiring diagrams for your cruise control from the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. You should be able to identify the bnad component or problem from these.

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl1a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl2a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl3a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl4a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Dnload\New Folder\CruiseControl5a.jpg[/IMG]
yea um buddy; the pictures need to be online; i can't view em' from ur computer :-p~ Thanx for the help though.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Well 97AcuraCL, I tried to give you some help but your sarcasm about the jpg's not posting right is just too overwhelming. A suggestion on how I should have done it differently might have been much more productive.

Although I also saved the same pictures in a single pdf file, I think I will avoid trying to post it as I want to avoid more sarcasm if it does not post right. I suggest next time you be a little more gracious when someone puts out some effort to scan five pages and help you.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:20 AM

Well 97AcuraCL, I tried to give you some help but your sarcasm about the jpg's not posting right is just too overwhelming. A suggestion on how I should have done it differently might have been much more productive.

Although I also saved the same pictures in a single pdf file, I think I will avoid trying to post it as I want to avoid more sarcasm if it does not post right. I suggest next time you be a little more gracious when someone puts out some effort to scan five pages and help you.
dude ya took it totally wrong. it was just a little humorus sarcasm. I do appreciate the help. really i do. sorry again for the sarcasm bro.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:30 AM
Advanced

Try this PDF file. It should be easily readable.

I simply referenced the path to the file below. If this does not work then attaching a file is not intuitively obvious.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:04 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Here are the 13 pages of the 1997-98 Acura 3.0CL Service Manual. I hope they help. [Click on "Get Original Uploaded Photo" for a larger pic.]

BTW: I need to delete these pics in about a week. I'm running low on available storage on my Fotki site. Print them if you want them.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:47 PM

hey guys thanx for alll your help i know u didn't have to do that. and dust i printed all of the things out so u can delete if u'd like to now. i do apprecaite thing is i'm not very technically minded and therefore dont know if i can tackle this on my own. I might have to make a trip to the dealer. just the thing is with my indiglos installed i dont know if they'd be willing to even touch the car. Its warantee is long gone but i dont know if they'd be willing to touch it even though i'd be willing to pay (sicne it seems i dont have a choice)

anyway; thanx again guys. precaite the help and RhoXS; i apologzie once again for my rudeness. ur okie in my book and ocne again i appreciate ur help.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Take a look at the electrical wiring on page 34-2. Notice that the "Cruise Control Indicator Light" in the cluster is connected directly to the dimming circuit. This module causes the instrument lights to dim when the headlights are on. This is the only connection with the headlights that I can see.

Although it is a royal pain to pull the instrument cluster, try removing this bulb and see what happens. If the symptoms you describe change, then you have found the area to focus on.

I do not know how the cruise control is effected by this indicating circuit but, based on your description of the problem, this is the only suspicious area I can see. If the cruise control electronic module requires that this circuit be intact, then just a bad bulb or poor electrical connection in the bulb socket might be the problem.

Hope this provides some help.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:09 AM

Take a look at the electrical wiring on page 34-2. Notice that the "Cruise Control Indicator Light" in the cluster is connected directly to the dimming circuit. This module causes the instrument lights to dim when the headlights are on. This is the only connection with the headlights that I can see.

Although it is a royal pain to pull the instrument cluster, try removing this bulb and see what happens. If the symptoms you describe change, then you have found the area to focus on.

I do not know how the cruise control is effected by this indicating circuit but, based on your description of the problem, this is the only suspicious area I can see. If the cruise control electronic module requires that this circuit be intact, then just a bad bulb or poor electrical connection in the bulb socket might be the problem.

Hope this provides some help.
so you're saying to remove the bulb that lights up the 'cruise control light? '

thanx again bud; preciate it
Old 05-28-2002, 02:43 AM
Advanced

I am referring to the bulb in the instrument cluster, the one behind the green light in the upper right. I do not know if this will accomplish anything but it is the ONLY tie in to the headlight switch that I can see.

You said that the cruise control works when the headlights are off. It would be interesting to see if 1) it still works with the headlights off or 2) does not work at all when you remove the bulb. I suspect the latter.

The bulb is illuminated via the dimming module. The dimming module does its thing when the headlight switch is turned on. The bulb is "grounded" via the cruise control electronic module. This makes me want to guess that the cruise control electronics does an integrity check on this circuit and does not allow the cruise control to work if this circuit is not intact. In other words, the Japanese in their never ending quest to protect the driver against himself, may have decided if the light does not work then it is dangerous to use the cruise control.

If removing the bulb causes the cruise control to not work at all, then I think there is a high probability that you proved that the problem is in this circuit. If this occurs then make sure there is good contact between the bulb socket and the circuit board it mounts to. I would then replace the bulb just for good measure with a known good new one. It is also possible that the dimming module itself could be faulty (most likely).

Again, I have to emphasize that I am just guessing about this circuit but it is the only obvious tie in to the headlights. The troubleshooting I described above is a pain in the ass because you have to remove the instrument cluster to get to this bulb. However, If I had the symptoms you described (it works only with the headlights off), I would try this before I would pay the dealer to fix it.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:43 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by 97AcuraCL
hey guys thanx for alll your help i know u didn't have to do that. and dust i printed all of the things out so u can delete if u'd like to now.
You're welcome, and good luck!

They're now deleted!
Old 07-02-2002, 11:33 AM

I brought this back from the dead; because I haven't gotten this problem fixed yet. I'm not brave enough to venture into the electrical system (making sense of the diagrams you guys ahve provided me <--> not a techie when it comes to this electrical stuff) I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that this problem is definitly in the computer. I didn't know the car's computer had anything to do with teh cruise. But I was told to take it to the dealer and ahv the dealer do a diagnostic check on the computer and they'd be able to program/fix it right there. Does anyone know if this could be a possibility? And in addition to that; does anyone know how mcuh this could possibly cost???

thanx again guys...
Old 06-22-2005, 03:51 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yea, installing my headers and re-setting the ECU...now the CC wont hold a speed. Both lights come on, but when I press the set button, nothing holds speed...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered

wow what an old thread.

btw, my cruise control doesnt work either, or my steering wheel radio controls, or my horn
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

did you disconnect any vaccume lines..or connectors?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:23 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
for my headers? nope, just the 02 sensor
Old 06-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

I highly doubt it is the ECU, but you should check for codes anyway. And definately check the vacume system for leaks.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Registered

the only thing i have disconnected is the pcv line for the seafoam, but plugged it back when i was done. other than that, i checked all my fuses, and not one is blown. i dont know what it could be
Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Hi there all,

I just stumbled across this forum looking for a solution to my cruise control problem. Sounds similar to others. When I press the dash button to enable the CC, the light on the button illuminates, and when I set the CC from the steering wheel control the dash indicator illuminates, but that's all ... no CC functionality at all. This is on a 2001 CL-S and the dealer indicated that they could do an investigation, but that would be ~$250-300 and that would just be to tell me how much I'd have to pay to get it fixed ... a little steep for me :-( Any other ideas?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

Question on Your cruise control Problem

Your post on here is a few years back but i was wondeing did you ever get this problem resolved? Have the same problem on my CL.
Thanks
Originally Posted by Limmerz
97AcuraCL...

I'm in the same boat as you....somewhere between installing my CAI in february and now my Cruise Control stopped working. The CC light comes on, but i can't set a constant speed at all....what happened to our Cruise Controls!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Same problem here....
It seems to have started after i did the whole LED conversion on the tails....
have had the "check brake bulb" light on, so i am assuming as one stated earlier in this thread, that the cruise control really doesn't work if all of the tail lights are not working all the way...
I put in 2 10ohm resistors in paralell for the turns, and didnt want to have to for the brake lights bec the resisitors get too hot, and im on the brakes a lot more than turn signals...

trying to think of another way...

hope this helped
Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
9th Gear

I'm reviving this really old post, but i'm having cruise control issues as well.

I recently had my timing belt etc.. changed, and ever since my cruise control wont engage, all the lights come on as they should but it does not work

anyone have anything on this?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM
9th Gear

BTW: i've checked all the fuses. its all good.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Racer

after youve checked all the fuses, reset your ecu. just disconnect the battery on the negative terminal and let it set for like 5 minutes. if that doesnt fly, take it apart. see if the little chain/loop dealy is snapped(not model specific, i havent taken apart the cc on this car). annnnd if that doesnt work, im really at a loss for suggestions. maybe check your throttle body, or see if you can pull some codes.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 AM
666 Speed

They might have not connected the cc box back from changing he tbelt..

j series or F series?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Is the vacuum line hooked up to the CC thingy?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
Sounds like the CC isn't hooked up
Old 05-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Sounds like the CC isn't hooked up
didnt consider that, that sounds a lot more likely than anything.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by artbran
They might have not connected the cc box back from changing he tbelt..

j series or F series?

Its a 1999 CL3.0

I believe its the J30A1 engine. Is it very hard to check the connection. I'm not much of an expert in this

Quick Reply: Please Help!!! Cruise Control?????