Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok Spacer install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok Spacer install.

I installed this gasket set in about 2 hours. I have had issues with rough idle and hesitation when the engine gets hot. I read alot about the egr port getting clogged and carbon build up. So I figured to order this kit and take care of this all at once.
I followed the instruction sheet included and it really was not hard at all. The engine runs much better and response is like a new engine. Probably the best money spent on maintenance in a long time. I am gonna check my fuel economy after my next fill up. Thinking it can only get better.
Added a few pics of the install

Lower intake with clogged egr passage.

Lower intake cleaned up with new ThermoBlok spacer

Upper intake with clogged egr port

Upper intake installed with new bolts porperly torqed.

Throttle body surface cleaned up for new gasket.
Throttle body was also cleaned out nicely and cleaned the inside of the upper intake with generous amounts of carb cleaner. Sorry didnt take pics of that.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Is the thermoblock spacer the same thing as a heat shield gasket for the 4 cylinders? It's a thick plastic spacer to help reduce the heat of the intake manifold?
Old 04-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Is the thermoblock spacer the same thing as a heat shield gasket for the 4 cylinders? It's a thick plastic spacer to help reduce the heat of the intake manifold?
yes it is... its not plastic, in this case but has the same purpose.. i installed one last summer
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
1998 CL 3.0

So it did help your rough idle when the engine gets hot? I have the same thing happen and have been contemplating getting these when I get some money.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by salogCL

yes it is... its not plastic, in this case but has the same purpose.. i installed one last summer
What is this one made of? I have the plastic Hondata heatshield on my GSR motor and it doesn't make any noticeable difference for me.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Polaris573
So it did help your rough idle when the engine gets hot? I have the same thing happen and have been contemplating getting these when I get some money.
So far the idle is smooth, havent had any real warm days since I installed the spacers but I think the combination with cleaning the egr port and throttle body made the difference.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Instructor

eh its some rubberized polymer. ive seen those plastic ones, and they dont do much in terms of heat. the O.E ones seem to do a bit better, but i mean eventually everythign in the engine bay will heat up

but to give an example. i could put my hand on the IM and not burn myself when the engine is hot, before i installed it i wouldnt have tried it
Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Advanced

but to give an example. i could put my hand on the IM and not burn myself when the engine is hot, before i installed it i wouldnt have tried it
Funny I tried the same thing yesterday. Put my had on the upper im and it was warm but not where it would burn my hand.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced

eh its some rubberized polymer. ive seen those plastic ones, and they dont do much in terms of heat. the O.E ones seem to do a bit better, but i mean eventually everythign in the engine bay will heat up
Copied from there web site. http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html

Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok spacers are thermal insulating replacements for your stock intake manifold and throttlebody gaskets. Made from a heat blocking phenol resin laminate, ThermoBlok spacers increase power from your engine by keeping the intake cooler.