ONE dim headlight?? HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:59 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONE dim headlight?? HELP?

Hi CL owners, and Happy Holidays, this is my first time posting so please bare with me.

I have a 1999 2.3 CL with a spoiler... recently i noticed that only my spoiler light works, but not my third brake light... checking further, it doesn't have another plug, so i spliced it in (and being i saw it posted i guessed it would work out fine!) BUT! heres the problem:

-My passenger side low beams are DIMMED [as dim as my high beams are for regular driving]
-and my driver side is fine... both lights are stock, so i thought it would be a 'soon to go' bulb, and i went and replaced it...
-BUT !! same problem... I'm fairly sure its not the low beam bulb.
-To make matters more complicating, when i turn on my high beams, my whole passenger side is dark, whereas my driver side is bright.
-I tried unplugging my spliced spolier/third brake light, but that didn't help.
-checked the fuses, and they seemed fine.

I was wondering if anyone else might've had this problem?? I know that the lights are originally dim, but in comparsion btwn my driver and passenger, its very very dim.

Any suggestions?

(ps, everything else electronically seems fine... battery is a year old, car is a 70k.)

help!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:55 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
take it to the dealer
Old 12-23-2003, 11:40 PM
'07 November = STI

Re: ONE dim headlight?? HELP?

Originally posted by bluebearsw
Hi CL owners, and Happy Holidays, this is my first time posting so please bare with me.

I have a 1999 2.3 CL with a spoiler... recently i noticed that only my spoiler light works, but not my third brake light... checking further, it doesn't have another plug, so i spliced it in (and being i saw it posted i guessed it would work out fine!) BUT! heres the problem:

-My passenger side low beams are DIMMED [as dim as my high beams are for regular driving]
-and my driver side is fine... both lights are stock, so i thought it would be a 'soon to go' bulb, and i went and replaced it...
-BUT !! same problem... I'm fairly sure its not the low beam bulb.
-To make matters more complicating, when i turn on my high beams, my whole passenger side is dark, whereas my driver side is bright.
-I tried unplugging my spliced spolier/third brake light, but that didn't help.
-checked the fuses, and they seemed fine.

I was wondering if anyone else might've had this problem?? I know that the lights are originally dim, but in comparsion btwn my driver and passenger, its very very dim.

Any suggestions?

(ps, everything else electronically seems fine... battery is a year old, car is a 70k.)

help!
i think by law, your not supposed to have 4 brake lights.. so in your case.. i think u should leave the spoiler brake light as the 3rd light.. (forget about the other one..) and im not to sure about the whole high beam thing... .. basically no matter what light u have on.. the passenger side is dimmer then the drivers side right? (i think thats the problem...) ill look into it.. but im not too sure... there are a lot of lighting pro's on this board.. hopefully they'll give u the answer
Old 12-24-2003, 10:51 PM
7th Gear

cool, thanks a lot guys... i think i'll prolly disable one of the brake lights, but that comes last... I'm planning on trying to replace the high beam light, hopefully thats what's pulling the power and might be the reason that the high beams are totally dark.. ill get back to everyone after i try it out,

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2003, 02:30 PM
its paid for

as for the 4 brake lights in the back, just contact you local stat patrol and ask them, I've had all 4 and never had a problem. As for the headlight, see if the ground is good. This happened to me on my teg and it was due to a frieh connector (where the bulb and the wire come togther) I put a new connector on and it worked great.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:45 PM
7th Gear

hmm.. sounds interesting, thanks for the help, but howd u get a new connector? you cut your original off and tagged on a new one? yea my ground seems faulty, so ill prolly have to check that out too.

thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 03:49 PM
its paid for

yeah i bought a new connector at an auto parts store and just cut the old one off and put the new one on. worked great.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2003, 04:45 PM
7th Gear

OK, got it fixed.. here was my problem (along with teh connector (THANX) my wire was becoming faulty... the reason being is that it was orginally cut by the previous owner and maybe water or high humidity caused teh wire to short... but not really bec AUSe it was still carrying a connection... SO, a waterproof wire was run to my driver side headlamp for collateral i guess.. and it worked out fine.. both my fuses burnt in the process but easy to find (engine bay) so NOW i have two working headlights! ah HA thanks all for the help. =)
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
'07 November = STI

yay!! it works! good job