next on my mod list?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
next on my mod list?

i was wondering on what to do next on my engine. I have all the major bolt-ons already and was wondering if there is anything u guys would do in addition to the mods i have. I can always buy NOS but i am kinda saving for an h22a possibly swapping in around next year when i pay the car off. Meanwhile i need more speed but running out of mods. There are still a few mods out there like ignition and hi flow cat. If anyone has a upgraded ignition let me know if its worth the money and if i will feel a difference. Alsohow do high flow cats help? I dont want to gutt my car or get a high flow one because im thinking that it will trip the second O2 sensor and just send more fuel into the engine which is not always good. WHat u guys think??? Thanks
Old 08-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

You could try several things:

Fuel pressure regulator
VAFC
Lightened Flywheel

The ignition is definately noticeable. I love mine but theres some that say honda ignitions are good to 300+ hp.

The O2 sensor in the cat doesnt add/remove fuel. It can easily be disabled if you want to go that direction.

I would stick to something you can retain if you do go to a swap later on.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Do you have any pics of you konigs? I want to get them but i want to see the black opal finish on a black car. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:22 AM
Burning Brakes

dennis. i do not have any pics yet but the konigs looks good in black opal. It kinda looks chrome in a way but not as shiny. That was the only reason i got konigs because they have the black opal. It doesnt really look black at all. I wanted the gun metal look originally but i saw the black opals and i loved them. I say get them only in blacl opals.

niedejb: thanks for the imput. Do u really see a difference with the high flow cat?? I know u got a few horses out the FPR. Ignition will wait because i dont have that much HP to upgrade the ignition. So i guesss high flow cat is next on the list. Were u satisfied with the results with your cat? noticeable gains? How bout sound?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

How much did you get the konigs for? And where did you get them?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:33 AM
Burning Brakes

1600 with tires. I had a friend that wirked at discount tire. Got yokohama paradas with them at the time. I think u can find them cheaper now. I got them last year when the first came out. try www.whalentire.com They have good deals on them.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:53 AM
Cause stock sux.

Go for a light weight fly wheel. It will help alot.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:53 AM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Originally posted by ilike2cheez

niedejb: thanks for the imput. Do u really see a difference with the high flow cat?? I know u got a few horses out the FPR. Ignition will wait because i dont have that much HP to upgrade the ignition. So i guesss high flow cat is next on the list. Were u satisfied with the results with your cat? noticeable gains? How bout sound?
For a $100 its a great bang for the buck. Install is OK, wouldnt call it fun.

Much better throttle response and top speed performance, a touch louder (nothing outrageous), smells a little too. Comperable to my header upgrade.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:59 AM
The Human Radar Detector

Definently upgrade the ignition, flywheel, and cat. converter.
You could also always lighten up the internals and get a new cam. Lightened Pistons, connecting arms, springs,etc. should help you extract a little hp, and make your engine more rev friendly. But since your saving for an H22A I guess your not gonna wanna do this.

Just a little fyi. I have a buddy who had a 99 Civic Ex. His stock dyno was 96hp but after some seriously lightened internals and a new cam hes pushing 128. So always keep this in mind youve already lightened the pulleys you can free even more hp with lighter internals
Old 08-07-2002, 11:35 AM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by jttoombs
Just a little fyi. I have a buddy who had a 99 Civic Ex. His stock dyno was 96hp but after some seriously lightened internals and a new cam hes pushing 128. So always keep this in mind youve already lightened the pulleys you can free even more hp with lighter internals

My JetSki has 150 hp.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:48 AM
The Human Radar Detector

Yeah but is that to 150 hp to the,the, the, well uhh, water
Old 08-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks for the imput guys. I was considering cams but its hard to find a good application for the F23a1. Most are for H series and B series. Some even have cams for the D series.
A lighten fly wheel i know would help but how hard is it putting it in an automatic tranny? Im prob going to get a cat soon. Dont feel like taking the tranny apart from the engine now. It might cuase problems now. You never know. Any ideas how much lighten internals cost? the guy with the civic what kinda cams did he get? Must be pretty agressive cams.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:32 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
VTEC Controler?? No?? Just a thought but u'd prob be better off with NOS
Old 08-07-2002, 12:48 PM
The Human Radar Detector

I thikn he bought the gude bullfrog cams. He got titanium pistons, connecting rods, and springs. People laugh at the kid when he says his car is modded because you cant see anything but he spent a good bit, and its really fast only civic Ive ever lost to.
Cams are kinda cheap respectively dont buy factory regrinds though they break.
Piston Heads are $500 and up for the quality stuff, I think thats for all 4 Im not sure.
Connecting Rods $300 and up for the quality stuff, again Im not sure if this is for the four rods.
I have no idea how much valves and springs cost .

I think one alternative would be to get a port and polish done, getting the next size available for pistons, then do the internals to match the new bore. You could put down some good old all motor hp that way. Check out gude performance by doing a search for gude and bullfrog. Their product are slighlty above average meaning theres better stuff out their but it is better than stock. But looking at this site can give you a good idea of what things cost and how much hp can be expected.

If I didnt have to pay for college I would take this route, but alas I joined a fraternity and decided to go for five years instead of four.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:52 PM
The Human Radar Detector

Just checked the site gude.com and check out this package for a 94-2000 4cyl Vtec accord.
INCLUDES:
Ported and polished - high compression cylinder head, racing valve grind, ported intake manifold,high velocity throttle body, and cam.
Sounds interesting
Old 08-07-2002, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

i seen the site. I dont have that much money to do all that. I rather get a h22a swap. Thanks for ur help tho. gude/bullfrog cams are decent but do not give good gains. They are regrinds from what i hear. They idle good but do not give good power gains compared to others. Its actually a waste of money for their cams. With that money u can get better stuff. Now if only skunk or crane makes cams that ll be something else. Thanks for ur help jttoombs.

V-afc will not "make" that much power on a normal aspirated engine with out major mods. It modifies fuel and v tec to fine tune the car if u have major mods which i dont. if i put it on my car i might see 5 hp. Thats not good enough to spend 300 on the V afc and another 150 for install and dyno tunning.. Thats 450 total. For that amount i might consider trying the bull frog cams
Old 08-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

BTW i am thinking of getting the cat from Random Tech. Any other brands that are good? I dont want engine lights and have to be legal in Texas. thanks