Looking for more info on Legend Caliper swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 03:09 PM
6spder

Looking for more info on Legend Caliper swap.

as it turns out, i have 3 sets of typeII caliper's laying around.

seeing as i need to rotors all around, i think one of them sets is gonna get put on the CL.

I'm trying to find more info on this swap, and can't for some reason. can someone point me towards info please!

my main question is, which rotors do i need to order, and do i use Legend pads with the calipers?
Old 12-14-2008 | 03:18 PM
Drifting

use 92-96 Prelude VTEC rotors and Legend Pads
Old 12-14-2008 | 03:52 PM
6spder

thanx dude, guess i get a brake upgrade tomorrow. too bad i'm only getting crappy oem replacement parts. i can't afford performance parts for the CL. but hey, its a improvement atleast.

I guess i could throw in my spare EBC yellow pads but i think i'll just end up ruining them.
Old 12-14-2008 | 06:49 PM
6spder

is there a DIY on this subject? i don't understand why the search feature doesn't work right. hmmm
Old 12-14-2008 | 07:33 PM
Custom User Title

jfkhan did one
Old 12-14-2008 | 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Let us know how it works out - I need new rotors up front so this would be a perfect time to attempt this.
Old 12-14-2008 | 10:23 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
Let us know how it works out - I need new rotors up front so this would be a perfect time to attempt this.
will do. exactly why i'm doing it. all my rotors got ruined while i wasnt driving the car since march

Originally Posted by Gnate
jfkhan did one
reason i asked was bc i was gonna take a few pics, is all.
Old 12-15-2008 | 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

The rotor info is in the n00b guide, and you could have found the answers by searching for future reference
Old 12-15-2008 | 11:55 AM
almost done...

u might also need a different calpiber bracket for the cl. i forgot which ones u need but if u have a 3.0 i believe it should bolt right up. but im not completely sure. otherwise u gotta grab them off another car. i think the brackets come off ludes as well. id have to read up on it again.
Old 12-15-2008 | 02:45 PM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-diy-faq-74/dual-piston-caliper-upgrade-diy-685351/

here you go alperovich...good luck.....all info is there with pics.....good luck and pm me if you need any help....
Old 12-15-2008 | 03:27 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
The rotor info is in the n00b guide, and you could have found the answers by searching for future reference
i get a error msg when i try to search anything on this site. i did read thru the noob guide but it oonly said prelude not the specific model.

Originally Posted by suremang
u might also need a different calpiber bracket for the cl. i forgot which ones u need but if u have a 3.0 i believe it should bolt right up. but im not completely sure. otherwise u gotta grab them off another car. i think the brackets come off ludes as well. id have to read up on it again.
i used the Legend t28 brackets, they fit perfect.

Originally Posted by jfkhan
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685351

here you go alperovich...good luck.....all info is there with pics.....good luck and pm me if you need any help....
thanks, i guess i took all those pictures for nothing?

guess not, i looked thru the DIY, its okay, maybe i'll write one up using my pics. anyways, time to go and finish the otherside, its getting dark.
Old 12-15-2008 | 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

It's in there now
Old 12-15-2008 | 05:12 PM
6spder

/\ nice1.

here's it all installed up.

i did screw one thing up and that's follow the R and L markings on the typeII caliper's. for installation on the CL, they are reversed. I'm gonna have to take them off tomorrow morning and swap and rebleed everything. oh well, i need to install rear rotors anyways.

and ofcourse the Real Legend which gave up its caliper's (althou i had removed them long ago to take the pads for my other Legend)

That said, i really can't give a real answer on how they feel, the caliper's still need to be rebleed as the pedal still falls to the floor.

as far as how difficult of a job, its pretty much as straight forward of a swap as replacing OEM components. good stuff!
Old 12-15-2008 | 05:14 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Looks nice! What happened to the poor Legend?
Old 12-15-2008 | 05:22 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Looks nice! What happened to the poor Legend?
i put my baby into a wall in KY this summer coming back from the National Acura Legend Meet (NALM'08) in Chattanooga, TN.

doesn't look too bad but the front suspension is toast (mainly drivers side) enkie wheel destroyed, the body and frame split along the driver's front frame rail and the whole frame twisted, driver door doesn't close straight, sunroof and trunk lid don't either. my seat bolts don't line up any more either, and it ripped the bolts out when i hit the wall.

I miss her, but i got a new coupe, i can't wait to mess with, she should be rolling in the spring

Last edited by Alperovich; 12-15-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2008 | 07:41 PM
6spder

UPDATE!!:

Soo, i decided to stick around outside in the cold and dark, and swap caliper's and re-bleed everything.

i have to say, initial response is WOW. front end grabs like no business. wow. its really good. what an improvement.

HIGHLY recommend the swap for anyone, its simple and easy to do. GOOD LUCK finding a set of these caliper's. I know alot of Legend owner's that would love get their hands a set of the typeII caliper's too. IMHO they made much more of a difference on the CL then they do on a Legend, the TypeI caliper's on a LEgend would also fit a CL but they are single piston, rotor would be the same, NSX caliper's would fit too.
Old 12-15-2008 | 08:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alperovich
UPDATE!!:

Soo, i decided to stick around outside in the cold and dark, and swap caliper's and re-bleed everything.

i have to say, initial response is WOW. front end grabs like no business. wow. its really good. what an improvement.

HIGHLY recommend the swap for anyone, its simple and easy to do. GOOD LUCK finding a set of these caliper's. I know alot of Legend owner's that would love get their hands a set of the typeII caliper's too. IMHO they made much more of a difference on the CL then they do on a Legend, the TypeI caliper's on a LEgend would also fit a CL but they are single piston, rotor would be the same, NSX caliper's would fit too.
i want to put these on my prelude. should be a direct swap. they're actually pretty fairly priced, at 130$ a piece for the caliper locally. but my main problem is rotor warpage, no lack of braking.
Old 12-15-2008 | 08:37 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by Dicorp
i want to put these on my prelude. should be a direct swap. they're actually pretty fairly priced, at 130$ a piece for the caliper locally. but my main problem is rotor warpage, no lack of braking.
that's not too bad. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a set to use, and both my Legend's have typeII caliper's already.

it wasn't that i had lack of brake, infact i found it pretty good last year when the rotor's were in good shape with new pads but after the car sat around all year, they were ruined and had very poor performance, lots of fade and it was shredding my pads, now its MUCH better, all i gotta do now is the rear rotors. didn't have time for it today but it should be warmer on Wednesday, i'll take care of it then.
Old 12-16-2008 | 12:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE!!:

That's exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for the update, I'll be attempting this in the spring time.
Old 12-16-2008 | 02:30 AM
Drifting

that's not too bad. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a set to use, and both my Legend's have typeII caliper's already.

it wasn't that i had lack of brake, infact i found it pretty good last year when the rotor's were in good shape with new pads but after the car sat around all year, they were ruined and had very poor performance, lots of fade and it was shredding my pads, now its MUCH better, all i gotta do now is the rear rotors. didn't have time for it today but it should be warmer on Wednesday, i'll take care of it then.
what do you recommend for autox/street use as far as rotors go? i've gone through 2 sets of premium regular rotors in more than a year. this is nuts.
i really need a rotor that will last for 2 years or so.
Old 12-16-2008 | 06:22 AM
6spder

Originally Posted by Dicorp
what do you recommend for autox/street use as far as rotors go? i've gone through 2 sets of premium regular rotors in more than a year. this is nuts.
i really need a rotor that will last for 2 years or so.
my brembo blanks lasted me 3+ years 30+k. they were new when i got my coupe, autoxed 2 seasons.

pads wise, i've been running EBC yellow's and they are amazing set of pads, track and street.
Old 12-16-2008 | 06:24 AM
6spder

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
That's exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for the update, I'll be attempting this in the spring time.
NP, let me know when you are doing it, if you get stuck or w/e. i took a bunch of pics of the process, which i was gonna put a DIY together but seeing as oneis already written, i might hold off. so if u need help LMK.
Old 12-16-2008 | 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

NP, let me know when you are doing it, if you get stuck or w/e. i took a bunch of pics of the process, which i was gonna put a DIY together but seeing as oneis already written, i might hold off. so if u need help LMK.
If one already exists, you can add your pics and stuff to it, or PM me with the changes and I can add them for you.
Old 12-16-2008 | 08:32 AM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

Hi aplerovich....congrate on the install.....if you would have read the DIY you would have avoided the bleeding issue....in my DIY I had specifically mentioned to watch out for the "R" and the "L" markings and to switich these....ah well if everthing is working well then good....and definately the best upgrade ever for your 2.3 CL's......good job.

would highly recommend all you cats to get do this upgrade................

Later
Javed
Old 12-16-2008 | 08:37 AM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

also use the recommeded site to purchase all the stuff..............trust me I had invested a considerable amount of time researching to find the cheapest deal and for the core returns, they will take your single piston calipers just call them and confirm this.....

Later Cats........
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:47 AM
6spder

Originally Posted by jfkhan
Hi aplerovich....congrate on the install.....if you would have read the DIY you would have avoided the bleeding issue....in my DIY I had specifically mentioned to watch out for the "R" and the "L" markings and to switich these....ah well if everthing is working well then good....and definately the best upgrade ever for your 2.3 CL's......good job.

would highly recommend all you cats to get do this upgrade................

Later
Javed
yea, i reliezed it after one wheel was done, and the 2nd was almost finished, when i noticed the bleeder screw. no biggie, i got it swapped out quickly and they are fucking awesome right now.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
If one already exists, you can add your pics and stuff to it, or PM me with the changes and I can add them for you.
will do, i'll get back to on it when its ready then.
Old 12-16-2008 | 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I can't wait to put these on with my SS braided brake lines
Old 12-16-2008 | 12:24 PM
Cruisin'

do i use Legend pads with the calipers?
I've done this same swap using legend brackets & pads with the 3.0 rotors. I wonder though, if using 3.0 pads with the 23T brackets would be better.

I say this because if you notice there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the pad and the center of the rotor. I would assume that using a 3.0 pad or the prelude pad would cover this gap and take full advantage of the extra friction surface area that the larger rotor provides (ie. match the pad to the rotor).

I don't know for sure, but maybe someone with the 3.0 who has done the swap can verify.
Old 12-16-2008 | 12:43 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by guapo187
I've done this same swap using legend brackets & pads with the 3.0 rotors. I wonder though, if using 3.0 pads with the 23T brackets would be better.

I say this because if you notice there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the pad and the center of the rotor. I would assume that using a 3.0 pad or the prelude pad would cover this gap and take full advantage of the extra friction surface area that the larger rotor provides (ie. match the pad to the rotor).

I don't know for sure, but maybe someone with the 3.0 who has done the swap can verify.
yea, there is a gap BUT the edge of the pad is to the edge of the rotor, which is the most important part in bigger brakes, yes, more pad/rotor coverage is good however, the farther out the pad grabs are more the force is increased.

just my .02$ i guess