listen to this one...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
listen to this one...

so i needed to drop the wify off at the airport for her trip to NY for 9 days to visit family. i usually book tickets very early in the morning to avoid rush hour traffic. ...so every thing is going smoothly until i reach PIA (pittsburgh interational airport). now i am going to departures and passing thru. suddenly a suv starts flickering behind me with their lights/siren. this mofo took realistically 5 whole minutes to actually get out of his car and come to my door and do the regular routine. he stated i was going about 25-30 miles thru departures and my tint is too dark. truthfully i may have been going about 20 and stayed all the way on the left side. let me remind you there is absolutely nobody in departures (except him obviously) this early and plus it is still dark outside. now setting the speeding aside, how can this guy even judge my tint. he said my back window was fine (%5) and sides were too dark (20%). i told him u can't judge my window tint in the dark and especially from sitting inside an suv looking down at my car as i have black/black interior. he fined me 108.00 for speeding and another 75.00 for my tint. absolutely ludicrous and my wify almost missed her flight if we hadn't asked security to let her in the 1st class security checks. u guys think i should fight this just for the principal, u can see right thru my tint looking straight thru. also get this, he didn't use any kind of radar gun, on the ticket, just as marked "other exessive speeding".
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
pics of wifey?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
fight it
Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Jhatt from Ludhianna

Fight It
Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by klepto
pics of wifey?
bump^^^ or

Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Racer

definitely fight it. you can get it written off if they dont get you on radar.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 972.2
definitely fight it. you can get it written off if they dont get you on radar.
And the tint laws in PA are garbage. There's no official light percentage on the books. If you know how to fight it, you might get that thrown out too.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by young03
bump^^^ or

dont know but thats very disrespectful
and fight it. did he measure your tints with the device?
ask him if he has proof of your tints. tell the judge it was darm. you have a dark interior. you do have tints but they are legal. he speculated that they were illegal and ticketed you on that. if he didnt use a machine then ur off for the tints
the speeding i say get reduced. dont know how to fight that.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Guitarded

pics of wifey?
Haha.

Fight that for sure, that dude sounded like a dick.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Instructor

thanks for the advice guys. i will keep it in mind at the hearing.

....also klepto, i wonder of your 12,279 posts, how many ass remarks are like that one.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Advanced

I have a similar story, Back in college 4 of my buddies from home would drive from IL to CO for a 4 day ski trip. While driving through KS at 3:30/4:00am on a Monday, a Cop pulls us over. I was riding shotgun and I know for a fact that we weren't speeding. So we were all wondering what the hell is this guy doing. Turns out, it is illegal to "pass" with your fog lights on. No idea what that means, but we got off with a warning b/c we were out of towners. Sounds like the cop was bored and was looking for trouble.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
W WHIP.

Hmm, was it a state cop or north fayette? I think NF has cops out there? Maybe they're moon? Well regardless, fight it. If its not state police they should be lenient on you, and even if they're state which im assuming they are cause all they do is hang out there they might not even show up. I've been down there before as well and i have 2 layers of 25% on the back then 30 and 25 on the sides, but it was real late at night and they didnt really care. They were all kinda just chillin there. Which ack is yours? Is it black with tinted tails and that ebay chrome inserts on the grill?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
pics of wifey?
Glad to see you're still around binny I take it you got your license back? We're getting a meet together this spring you should def come, sorry to hear about the cop but fight that. Was it a state or county?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Glad to see you're still around binny I take it you got your license back? We're getting a meet together this spring you should def come, sorry to hear about the cop but fight that. Was it a state or county?
sup man, ya i have my license now, just been busy lately mainly with work. haven't had a lot of time to be on CL forum. I'll definately come out if you guys have a meeting this spring. i looked at that citation again and it says PIA district??? so he must work for PIA? maybe he just won't show at the hearing i hope.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
W WHIP.

If its a yellow ticket with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on the left then Traffic Citation / Summons and the little logo thing with the horses in the middle of the top its a State cop. The Airport security cant give you a ticket for speeding, or tint for that matter. (that I know of) The PIA District and # is probably just the location of where you were pulled over and caught doing whatever at.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by ZeroCL
If its a yellow ticket with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on the left then Traffic Citation / Summons and the little logo thing with the horses in the middle of the top its a State cop. The Airport security cant give you a ticket for speeding, or tint for that matter. (that I know of) The PIA District and # is probably just the location of where you were pulled over and caught doing whatever at.
This guy is an expert in legal matters
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
fight that shit..

i remember one night last summer i got booked at the airport ripping it around (completely empty) and i got booked by this blacked out yukon with a tank of a man behind the wheel with "FEDERAL" printed on his jacket which was also blacked out. He was the real deal and wasn't happy AT ALL. He just fucked with me for like 15 minutes then sent us off but recommended that we go drink in a field and stay out of trouble

thank god he was cool or else i would of gotten x 1,000 000
Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Racer

contrary to popular belief, if the cop doesnt show, that doesnt mean it gets dropped. but since you werent on radar, and the fact that he didnt measure your tint with an instrument, he cant really give you a ticket. i mean sure he can but if you make up some b/s story to the judge(alter it, they still will write up a report), it has no effect.

i live in kitsap county washington. this is the smallest county in the state, and just so happens to be where they train every cop for the state, which means theyre on the road.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by matt21484
I have a similar story, Back in college 4 of my buddies from home would drive from IL to CO for a 4 day ski trip. While driving through KS at 3:30/4:00am on a Monday, a Cop pulls us over. I was riding shotgun and I know for a fact that we weren't speeding. So we were all wondering what the hell is this guy doing. Turns out, it is illegal to "pass" with your fog lights on. No idea what that means, but we got off with a warning b/c we were out of towners. Sounds like the cop was bored and was looking for trouble.
By law, the only traffic violations that apply to you, are the ones from your state. So, if in your state, driving with fogs and passing isn't against the law, then every cop in the other states can't ticket you for it if it's in their traffic law book. Just so you know for future reference. It's handy to pick up the traffic law book from your DMV and read it. They add laws to it every 6 months. And honestly, they had hundreds. Most of which you won't ever be aware of. I learned this at a defensive driving course btw.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 AM
2600lb CL

contrary to popular belief, if the cop doesnt show, that doesnt mean it gets dropped. but since you werent on radar, and the fact that he didnt measure your tint with an instrument, he cant really give you a ticket. i mean sure he can but if you make up some b/s story to the judge(alter it, they still will write up a report), it has no effect.

i live in kitsap county washington. this is the smallest county in the state, and just so happens to be where they train every cop for the state, which means theyre on the road.
Maybe it's different in every state. In CA, if the cop doesn't show, it gets dropped. Or maybe just by coincidence 100% of the tickets that my friends fought were dropped when the cop didn't show. So I guess it could be either. I assume this would be something hard to look up in google to get a definite answer.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocoa
By law, the only traffic violations that apply to you, are the ones from your state. So, if in your state, driving with fogs and passing isn't against the law, then every cop in the other states can't ticket you for it if it's in their traffic law book. Just so you know for future reference. It's handy to pick up the traffic law book from your DMV and read it. They add laws to it every 6 months. And honestly, they had hundreds. Most of which you won't ever be aware of. I learned this at a defensive driving course btw.
defensive driving course? someone must have had some pretty bad tickets. idk though, when i got my negligent the judge clearly stated, "your ticket will not be dropped if the officer who pulled you over does not show". maybe its just washington, definitely google for a good answer.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
2600lb CL

defensive driving course? someone must have had some pretty bad tickets. idk though, when i got my negligent the judge clearly stated, "your ticket will not be dropped if the officer who pulled you over does not show". maybe its just washington, definitely google for a good answer.
I've done the course twice already.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM
W WHIP.

This guy is an expert in legal matters
Yeah yeah, i just know what the tickets look like. haha, i have enough of them.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Yeah yeah, i just know what the tickets look like. haha, i have enough of them.
Quit speeding dumbass!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Drifting

cops are dicks, especially for shit like tint,exhaust. definitely fight it. im just waiting to get pulled over for my almost falling off muffler
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Dicorp
cops are dicks, especially for shit like tint,exhaust. definitely fight it. im just waiting to get pulled over for my almost falling off muffler
Old 01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
6spder

thats gay!

I'm gonna have to jump on the fight it bandwagon..

here in IL, if the cop doesn't show its most likely gonna get dropped. thats what i've seen always happen, b/c u can then question the ticket and the cop isn't their to back himself up, so the judge can let you off or reduce the fines or w/e if you sound convincing. also he can also continue the trail so that the cop can show up and they can get his side of the sotry.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Def fight that shit. I think PA cops are the worst. Even worse than jersey, and i HATE jersey cops.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Racer

if he was following you he doesnt need his radar. he can use his speedo. but i would fight the tint shit for sure. just explain the time of day yada yada.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If its a yellow ticket with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on the left then Traffic Citation / Summons and the little logo thing with the horses in the middle of the top its a State cop.
Not necessarily...I got a ticket a few months ago from a Monroeville Twp Cop and it was the same yellow ticket as I've gotten in the past from State Troopers (yellow, Commonwealth of PA on the left, PA Seal in the center on top).

Back to the subject though, it's a pretty BS ticket, I'd plead not guilty (as I always do) and request a hearing. I'm pretty sure the speed limit at PIA is 15 MPH so chances are you were speeding (especially getting off 60). It's pretty much your word against his on the speeding part (especially if there's no proof) so you shouldn't have any problems with that part of it.

As far as the tint goes, pretty much anything is illegal in PA, especially when you factor in the factory tint. Unfortunately, the only way to actually prove that the tint on your car is in fact legal is to have them check it, or remove it before your hearing. Either way...good luck.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
W WHIP.

Oh alright, I figured the state cops had specific tickets, guess not.

Tint laws in PA = Nonexistent.
Pretty much the cops can pull you over for anything.
Its lame, especially if the cops want to be dicks about it.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:55 PM
6spder

Originally Posted by Nutshell
if he was following you he doesnt need his radar. he can use his speedo. but i would fight the tint shit for sure. just explain the time of day yada yada.
He can use his speedo. But then I want PROOF that AT THE TIME his speedo was working properly. Our Speedo's are off, its common. Hey atleast its a reasonable aguement. No radar, he can't prove shit. get a lawyer if needed
Old 01-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Tint laws in PA = Nonexistent.
True, but the cops get away with it. Here's what the law states:

Originally Posted by The Vehicle Code, Vehicle Characteristics, Chapter 45, Subchapter B, 4524(e)
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--
  1. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
  2. This subsection does not apply to:
    1. A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows of the type and specification that were installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or to any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.
    2. A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials which comply with all applicable Federal regulations and for which a currently valid certificate of exemption for medical reasons has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.
  3. A certificate of exemption shall be issued by the department for a vehicle which is:
    1. Registered in this Commonwealth on the effective date of this subsection and is equipped with a sun screening device or other material prohibited under paragraph (1) on the effective date.
    2. Equipped with tinted windows, sun screening devices or other materials for a physical condition that makes it necessary to equip the motor vehicle with sun screening material which would be of a light transmittance or luminous reflectance in violation of this section.
      (A) A certificate of exemption for medical reasons shall be issued only if the owner or registrant of the vehicle, or a person residing in the household of the owner or registrant who regularly drives or is driven in the vehicle, suffers from a physical condition determined by the department, in consultation with the Medical Advisory Board, to justify the exemption.
      (B) Any person requesting an exemption for medical reasons shall have his physical condition certified to the department by a licensed physician or optometrist.
  4. A certificate of exemption issued under this subsection shall be carried in the vehicle and displayed on request of a police officer.
  5. Upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle to any person who does not qualify under paragraph (2)(ii), the exemption shall be null and void. Prior to the sale or transfer of an exempt vehicle, it shall be the sole responsibility of the owner or seller of a formerly exempt vehicle to remove all sun screening or other materials from the vehicle. At the time of the sale or transfer of a formerly exempt vehicle, the owner shall remove and destroy the certificate of exemption for physical reasons and provide the purchaser with a notarized statement setting forth the name and address of the owner or seller, the vehicle identification number, year and model, and the business entity and process used to remove the sun screening or other material.
At least that's what I could find - I don't think PA puts all their laws on the web (which is complete bullshit).
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 AM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

man i got bout 5 tickets for my tints by troopers in pa within the last 2 months. they are dicks. i still havent and will not take off my tint unless they are gonna pay for it.. i got 15% all around and when my car is off u can see what i got inside but when i turn it on i got 2 gauges on my a-pillar and a in dsh tv so its a little easier to see inside..
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by SupraManAG
dont know but thats very disrespectful
and fight it. did he measure your tints with the device?
ask him if he has proof of your tints. tell the judge it was darm. you have a dark interior. you do have tints but they are legal. he speculated that they were illegal and ticketed you on that. if he didnt use a machine then ur off for the tints
the speeding i say get reduced. dont know how to fight that.
i was playin with him
Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 AM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dicorp
Chris was right
but what i usually do is open the sunroof to allow more light in i have gotten away a few times by doin that. they still stopped me but they wanted to see if my shit was up to date. just my
Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM
its JDM yo!!!!!!!!

man i got bout 5 tickets for my tints by troopers in pa within the last 2 months. they are dicks. i still havent and will not take off my tint unless they are gonna pay for it.. i got 15% all around and when my car is off u cant see what i got inside but when i turn it on i got 2 gauges on my a-pillar and a in dsh tv so its a little easier to see inside..
Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

man i got bout 5 tickets for my tints by troopers in pa within the last 2 months. they are dicks. i still havent and will not take off my tint unless they are gonna pay for it.. i got 15% all around and when my car is off u can see what i got inside but when i turn it on i got 2 gauges on my a-pillar and a in dsh tv so its a little easier to see inside..
That's how they make their money
Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Chris was right
but what i usually do is open the sunroof to allow more light in i have gotten away a few times by doin that. they still stopped me but they wanted to see if my shit was up to date. just my
well i was quoted almost 300$ for a new muffler, not even sporty. this included labour, a hanger or 2 and the muffler itself. pretty fucking expensive.

but on the subject of tint, i beleive ontario's legal limit is 35%, but i'd wanna go 15% if i ever did