Keyless Entry Question....I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 04:34 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Keyless Entry Question....I need help!

Hey guys,

Ok, this question dosnt have to do with Acura but i trust u guys and i donno who elce to turn to and ask for advice and info....

heres the deal,

My dad lost his keyless entry remote to his BMW....the dealer wants $300 for a new one. Is there any way we can buy a remote off ebay for cheap and then somehow program it to work for my dads car? Say we bought a remote with computer chip still inside, could we get the chip to program to my dads car...he really dosnt want to spend $300....

Any advice or info or places to turn to for cheap parts like that woud be great! Thanks soo much!

~CJ~
Old 07-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you buy one off e-bay, make sure it's for the right car/year/body style. You then have to go to the dealership to have them look up your cars remote keyless entry code (through V.I.N number) and they have to program it.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Pro

I might be conusing BMW with Lexus, we own both and have gone through the key buying process wiht both. The BMW one piece key is laser cut and it is laser cut according to your VIN #. Some auvtions offer to cut your key for you, others want you to get it done yourself, ok so go to the dealer and have them cut it... NOPE doesnt work. If you go to the dealer they will want to still charege you up the ass to have it cut becasue they have a 3rd party company cut the keys for you. I would be wary of the ebay keys. I know that some people have bought tehm and have had no problems, but we bought one for our M3 and it never worked. Sometimes it is better to go to the dealer, get raped by their prices, and then walk out with a warrantied working key.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:46 PM
roomate has a CL too

yeah have you seen gone in 60 seconds? like the mercedes the BMW keys are laser cut... as said above and might be difficult to get one on ebay even if they offer it already cut for you. Don't you think it is weird? You give them your vin and then they get the key cut for your car and ship it to your house... they could make 2. and go to your house and drive your car away.

I'd say suck it up and go to the dealer
Old 07-31-2003, 08:47 AM

no no no...this isnt a 2003 BMW with the key and remote in one...its a 95...theres the key (which he has) but the little remote got lost...

Think of it this way...its just like our cars...ive got the key but if i lost my keyless entry remote, and i wanted to buy a used one off ebay...could i reprogram it to work for my car?? Thats what my dad needs to do for his BMW....he just needs the remote...no key....soo would it work to reprogram a remote form someone elces bmw??
Old 07-31-2003, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
$300 you can get a bad ass aftermarket alarm system with auto start and everything.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:11 AM

yea i know...but all he wants is the remote....hes not willing to pay $300 for just the remote...

All i want to know is if its possible to say buy a used remote (that looks like his old one) and have someone program it to work for his car....can this be done a nd can the used remote be from a different style BMW? My dads got a 740il...its either a 93,94,or 95'...i dont remember...

does this sound and look right??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425355378
Old 07-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Old Man

That remote looks like an Alpine 8070 alarm remote. If your dad's remote is the same it should work. If it's the same as the 8070 remote then you would need to program your car to accept the new remote. The Alpines had what's call code rom (it's a tiny chip in the remote). I don't remember how to program it. You might want to contact Alpine to find out if they can help.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:46 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently bought one off ebay for my mom's Avalon. They lady she bought the cart from lost the second keypad and she wanted both. They one off ebay was not an actual toyota keypad, even though it looked identical, it did not have the toyota symbol on it. My mom takes it to the dealer to have it programmed, the manager says he can't do it cause it is not a toyota keypad (initially they wanted $140 just for the keypad). My mom told him that this is what came with the car when she bought it and it never worked. The manager was really cool and gave her a real toyota keypad and programmed it for FREE.