Just bought a 2.2.... a little worried, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:18 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2.2.... a little worried, please help

I just bought a 97 2.2 CL, Automatic with 80,000 on it.
Ok, I know the transmissions are supposed to shift harshly on Hondas, but after test driving a 97 Accord EX 4 cyl. to compare to the CL I just bought, I noticed that my tranny shifts about twice or even 3 times as harsh in all the gears on my CL. Also, when I put the shifter into Drive, and give it gas, it takes a second for the gears to engage after I give it gas, (takes long enough to make me worry a bit) but I know one thing, it does not slip in any gear. Are all 97 CL's like this? Are these transmission known to go?
I'm about to change the fluid, drain and fill is 2.75 quarts???

My biggest concern is the ticking noise from the motor. I hear it from the top (valves?) on the passenger side and it's louder than the 97 Accord that I checked out for comparison. Any known problems with this motor or will a simple valve adjustment take care of this? If I wait a 6 months to a year until I get the valves adjusted, will this cause any damage to them?

Besides that, I love the car. It looks great, handling is awesome, and all the luxury features for a very very good price.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 PM
10th Gear

I have the same type, a '97 2.2CL automatic, but with only 40K miles on it. Mine exhibits the same things you mentioned: delays before engaging the transmission, semi-harsh shifts, and valve ticking. Despite this it runs great, although it feels a bit rough around the edges compared to most fours I've sampled. What I like best about this car is how good it looks, inside and out, plus how quiet it is on the freeway.

I've picked up a few pointers since I got my little redhead two months ago:

1) Always use Honda Premium automatic transmission fluid. Apparently there's a special chemical in there that's absolutely necessary, something other AT fluids don't have. Some owners have reported smoother and less harsh shifts after changing the fluid.

2) Don't worry about the transmission engagement delay. That's just the way it's designed. Kinda goofy if you ask me, but there it is. What I usually do is blip the throttle a little bit, right after I put it in gear, that cuts the delay time.

3) Honda doesn't make the best automatics around, and that's putting it mildly. Consider installing a tranny cooler to give it a fighting chance. I got a Hayden 1677 from www.bulkparts.com for around $40.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the valve ticking. It could be just fine, although it wouldn't hurt to have a competent mechanic take a look. Since I'm hearing the same clatter with only half the mileage on the car, it may not be due to wear.

Happy cruising, and welcome to the club.

- Max
Old 08-03-2002, 02:41 AM
8th Gear

Hey Max,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that the noises are probobly normal. Weird that Acura would allow this in a "luxury car."
So basically, the 2.2's are not known to have any auto transmission problems or engine head problems? Are the 2.2's also known for that power window regulator problem people are experiencing on this board?
Old 08-03-2002, 03:16 AM
Instructor

i have a 97 3.0cl and my car does exactly the same things as you guys mentioned. the pause before it goes... it happens to me only as i turn and give it some gas, or when i floor it. but the flooring is expected, most honda's are like that. the harsh shifting has always been a problem in my car also, i've grown accustomed to it though.. cuz whenever i drive anyone elses car, it feels too... womanly... you don't feel the shifting. i dunno... maybe i'm just weird like that.. haha, or wish i had a stick so badly. if my tranny goes wrong... hopefully not, i am going to spend a lot of time looking into changing it to a stick.. has anyone ever done it before?? oh.. i have indiglo gauges for a 2.2. didn't fit my car. i'm selling them for $40 shipped. i got them for $50. they turn blue or green and different shades depending on how much you turnt he dial. PM me or just e-mail me if youw ant them
Old 08-03-2002, 04:25 AM
im back biaaatch!

I wouldnt know about the tranny...i have a 5 speed, but my valves ticked at 65k when i got it and i did a valve adjustment and the noise is gone, so have acura adjust the valves, its worth it.

brian
Old 08-03-2002, 05:21 AM
Advanced

Try this, I works for the automatic Legend guys who have problems w/ hard shifting.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...t=tranny+flush

Good Luck
Esti
Old 08-03-2002, 08:09 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for all the info guys. I"m calm now, I guess it was just the valves and the trans. is O.K.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:16 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Esti
Try this, I works for the automatic Legend guys who have problems w/ hard shifting.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...t=tranny+flush

Good Luck
Esti
Thanks for the info and the link.

I think I'll give it a try!