instructions on how to put in a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instructions on how to put in a CAI

so i just received dennis' CAI but he didn't include any instructions. can someone help me on how to put it on?

thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 09:01 AM
A-CL Totaled Member

You got a 2.2/2.3 or a 3.0?
Old 12-06-2003, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

3.0 sorry
Old 12-06-2003, 09:19 AM
A-CL Totaled Member

Ok I have a 2.3 but its the same concept. Remove all of your stock air box. Not sure if the 3.0 requires bumper removal or not (looks like you would need to), 2.3 you can remove the fender liner. CAI connects with sleeve and clamps to throttle body. Breather hose from valve cover connects to the hole on the intake. The other hose, I believe is a coolant line, you just loop back to the bottom of the throttle body. The tube should have a rubber mount which screws into one of the holes from the air box. This is a picture borrowed from dustbuster (dont think he'll mind) http://images2.fotki.com/v21/photos/...3230009-vi.jpg shoing the mount point. Also, disconnect your battery for at least ten minutes to reset the ECU.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:03 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: instructions on how to put in a CAI

Originally posted by Chinisimo
so i just received dennis' CAI but he didn't include any instructions. can someone help me on how to put it on?

thanks
You don't need to remove the bumper. You can access the resonator by removing the clips that hold the plastic wheel well. Parts #11, #13, & #16 (there may be several of each to remove):

Remove all of the plastic tubing that runs from the throttle body to the air box.

Remove everything in the pic below EXCEPT for #11, #12, & #13 (disconnect #13 from the stock plastic intake tubing--#5). Also, undo clamp #16 and pull the hose away from part #5.

Then remove the tubing that runs below the airbox, down to the resonator. Remove the resonator (through the bottom of the plastic wheel well liner). You'll be removing everything in the pic below:

Then install the CAI, connecting it to the throttle body with the large clamps. The bottom end of the CAI should go down through the hole as picture below:

Then mount the air filter by putting it through the bottom where you "peeled" back the plastic wheel well liner. Reconnect the screw and plastic clips that hold the plastic wheel well liner in place. Attach the 2 hoses that go onto the CAI, up near the throttle body.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks rick. on the lower section of the cai, looks like there's a tap for it to be screw onto something, but the part w/ the hole looks like it has been broken off. what do i do than?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:04 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Are you referring to a bracket?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Suzuka Master

ok, i just put it in and i have a few questions. mainly things don't line up 100%.

here's the pic were the vacuum hose on the front has is the same size as the hole on the CAI. so i just electrical taped it for now. how do i fix this? it is going to be ok for now?

here's is the mounting "tab/bracket" on the straight pipe that won't align with the exsisting holes from the old air box. so now it's just sticking up in the air

i put the air filter in and here you see the broken bracket i was talking about. am i pointing that pipe at the right direction?

here's the whole setup. so basically the whole cai is hold up by the braces on the throttle body.

oh, here's are the clears from dajuice.

so if you guys can answer my questions, i'll appreciate it
Old 12-07-2003, 11:53 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Ahhhhh! Now I know what you're talking about.

As far the "breather" hose up near the throttle body (what you referred to as the "vaccum hose") Tape isn't the best, but it should be fine for now. Is the breather hose too small or too large? If it's too large, you can really compress the clamp to be tighter (or you can wrap some tape around the the "nipple" on the CAI, then put the breather hose over top then clamp it).

If the breather hose is too small, try cutting a very small slit in it, then force it on, over the nipple. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

As far as the upper mounting bracket, loosen the clamps at the throttle body, twist the CAI (towards the firewall) so that the bracket will fit more flush to the sheet metal (just move the wire out of the way) so you can drill a hole and put in a bolt. You may need to adjust the lower part of the CAI (loosen the clamps and remount it as needed).

There's not much you can do about the lower bracket (the broken one).

I only have one bracket holding my CAI in place, and it's fine.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Sorry man, I forgot the damn instructions!!!

I looked in my bag and here they are - my bad man. Damn, was in that much of a hurry? I wonder if I included the instructions to pony11373?

Thanks Rick for giving him the schematics, I just printed out a post we wrote for his instructions.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:04 PM
-S namyaC-

Damn Chinisimo! It's dirty as hell up under yo hood man - clean that junk up. You been driving out in the dirt?
Old 12-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

dennis,

what did you do about the breather hose? it's the same size as the nipple. not bigger, not smaller. just the same size. i'm wondering if i can buy a small piece of hose and connect them together. what size hose would i need?

i'm always afraid to clean the engine bay. had a bad experience. so i'm really nervous on how to clean it w/o messing up things like alternator, electrical stuff, now that i have a CAI, it's even worst. any tips on how to clean the engine bay?

btw, that's the bahamian dirt. dirty island people :P
Old 12-07-2003, 08:37 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Use "Simple Green to clean your engine and engine bay. Just avoid spraying directly on any electrical components.

I cleaned my engine bay the first week I had the car, and other than a simple "dusting", I've never had to do it again! :P