How does the factory alarm do vs. an aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the factory alarm do vs. an aftermarket?

I'm interested in knowing if after you add a shock sensor to the factory alarm, how does it do versus an aftermarket alarm? Also, on the 96+ civics I know that the alarm brain is part of the factory radio. Is that the case here? If not, how much of a pain is it to put in an aftermarket alarm and take out the old one? If the factory alarm doesn't cut it, then I have no problem putting in a new one, but if it does alright then I'll leave it.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:19 PM
AWD Torque Monster

the factory alarm is a joke and the brain isnt int he radio. unless ur car is modded then there is no reason to upgrade ur alarm. the cl is not a popular car to steal. only get a better one if ur worried about it getting broken into not stolen.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Advanced

How hard is it to remove the old one? I can wire the new one no problem. I've done that stuff before, but I don't want to screw with the alarm that's in it unless I know what I'm doing. Can I just unplug the brain?

Where is the brain for the factory one? If it's in a convenient location I can just use the wires that go into it to wire the new one. That would be nice. Doors, lights, etc.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:23 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory alarm is fine if you add a shock sensor. It detects the doors/trunk/hood opening and disables the starter.

If someone wants your car bad enough, they will take it alarm or not. But ny adding a shock sensor, and the fact that we have door LED's and one in th radio, no one will screw with it
Old 12-10-2002, 11:23 PM
Pro

hey sswany do u think u could teach me to hook up a shock sensor? I got one, tried to hook it up, but it didn't work
I have a 97 3.0 CL, and the alarm box thing is under the passenger seat.

email me @ remixnzza@hotmail.com
or AIM me SN: remixnzza

thX! I really need help on it =\
Old 12-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Advanced

I'll do it when I'm home for break. You're going to have to give me like a week or a week and half. I'll be out the state for a few days, and then I'll be home. LOL. I haven't even seen the car yet. My family bought it for me, but I haven't seen it. I've just been reading all this stuff and know what I'm up against.

I'll for sure help you when I do it. Just give me a little bit.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Instructor

I think I have heard the factory alarm once in like 2 years. Its a joke. It was so low I thought it was another cars alarm parked not too far from mine.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Well maybe we can throw a relay on there and put on a siren. But for the cost of putting a shock sensor, the parts, and the siren and the relays, I'm pretty sure you could buy a decent new alarm.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro

alright thx

chris do u think u could help me out rite now? cuz i alrdy have it all hooked up to my car, but its just not working.

my contact info is up top ^^^
Old 12-11-2002, 03:21 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

so low? -- i'm pretty sure the factory alarm is louder than most aftermarket.. at least all of the ones i've heard--
and the shock sensor isnt that expensive infact, you can get one for $13 including shipping at http://www.efunctional.com/cs-97g.html
to help install use
http://public.fotki.com/novawhitetyp...ensor_install/

as for why you would want something other than factory alarm
the only reason i would want something other than factory alarm is 2-way page system/and or remote start.. and remote start you can add on without a whole new system
so the only reason i'd really want to change the factory system is

if i wanted 2-way page :-/

IMO :P
Old 12-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Instructor

seriously if they want it they can take it. buy good alarms do slow them down. my friends car had a blown motor and could not run and someone stole it. ( cops said probably used tow truck). adding extra sirens and back up batteries or sirens with built in batteries are good.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:34 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

i've seen a couple cool ideas like
if the alarm goes off.. it cuts off something.. i forgot what-- so that the car won't start until the key is in the ignition and turned.. so no hotwiring..

i saw one CRAZY thing on ebay a while ago

whenever your alarm goes off.. it would send a 2-way TEXT page to your cell phone.. or pager.. and you could send it a message back to turn off.. block starting engine.. continue to alarm.. and so you could go check out your car and see if some pisshead is breakin into it

there's a lot of different things
Old 12-11-2002, 05:46 PM
Advanced

The coolest thing I've seen is a smoke defense system that when the alarm goes off, it can fill the inside of your car with smoke in about 5 seconds. It's like a fog machine. The smoke is harmelss and it doesn't hurt anyone and it doesn't hurt the car, it just draws attention and makes it so you can't see anything.

I don't even know where you can buy them though. REally hard to find.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro

OMG GUYZ I GOT IT TO WORK!! =)

i messed u splicing the first few times, finally got it work! its great

i mounted the shock sensor right under passenger seat, should i move it? it seems okay there for now
Old 12-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is mounted behind the glove box on the structural cross member. THis is better to pick up impacts from all over the vehicle.

BTW, this is the loudest alarm siren. The alarm is made by Alpine (as most of the "extra" electronics are on Hondas). If yours isn't screaming, it's broke.