Hesitation starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 AM
A-CL Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation starting

My 98 3.0 had a heck of a time starting after I parked it at a store for about 15 mins.
It would start every time but would die right away.
After about 5 mins and a few tries, I was able to start it, hit the gas and keep the engine running, rough at first and then it was okay. the gas tank was less than 1/4 full.

This has happened twice. I have heard of some thing along the lines of a gas vapor lock.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Flap.

well our cars just dont start as well with less gas in em..

so fill up sooner
Old 04-19-2004, 12:22 PM
A-CL Member

Really???
Is the fuel pump not capable of giving it enough pressure at low levels?
Old 04-19-2004, 02:37 PM
3.0 CL

Originally posted by Hobo
well our cars just dont start as well with less gas in em..

so fill up sooner
I thought I noticed that on my CL too but thought it was just me. Thanks for mentioning it, Hobo; I feel better knowing this.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

when the gas is low, it doesn't start up as easily. i had to hold the key on for a couple of extra seconds.

but if it happens even if you have lots of gas, it might be an ignition problem
Old 04-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

ok, this issue has come up quite a few times and the answer is this:

The reason for this crap when the gas is low is because of the bad design of the fuel pump on our cars. Something about how it is setup causes difficulty getting fuel to the engine when there is 1/4 tank or less. I dont know specifics but just about everyone i know has the same problem.

You been edumacated
Old 04-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by nicholbr
ok, this issue has come up quite a few times and the answer is this:

The reason for this crap when the gas is low is because of the bad design of the fuel pump on our cars. Something about how it is setup causes difficulty getting fuel to the engine when there is 1/4 tank or less. I dont know specifics but just about everyone i know has the same problem.

You been edumacated
Cold weather makes this worst also. If anything try shaking the car a little. LOL sounds so ghetto for a near lux coupe.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

at lower levels the tank doesent have alot of pressure. could be the fuel cap gasket isnt what it should be. i know that if u leave the cap off our cars for long the car will die.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
its not like its a serious problem, normal for me
Old 04-20-2004, 04:13 PM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

Re: Hesitation starting

Originally posted by AlexMN
My 98 3.0 had a heck of a time starting after I parked it at a store for about 15 mins.
It would start every time but would die right away.
After about 5 mins and a few tries, I was able to start it, hit the gas and keep the engine running, rough at first and then it was okay. the gas tank was less than 1/4 full.

This has happened twice. I have heard of some thing along the lines of a gas vapor lock.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I had the same exact problem with my 97 3.0CL - it now has 132K miles. I had been having this issue for 3-5K miles or so. I finally brought it to the Acura dealer, thinking that some of the recalls might be causing the dying/misfiring engine problem - specifically the ignition switch recall and some others. They did all the recall items and it still failed multiple times at startup after driving and trying to restart 15 mins after parking. We just sat there and went .

So about two weeks after the dealer visit, the original starter died at 130K miles. Replaced the starter at dealer and haven't had the problem since. . It's been about 2K miles now, and I haven't had the problem once.

Our trusted family mechanic/retoration expert (40+ years experience, so/so knowledge on newer cars) who does all the routine maintenance thinks that the heat from the engine was somehow preventing/heating up the dying starter and causing the problem.

Solution - get ready to replace your starter as nothing else we did (including changing the fuel filter) helped.

Let me know if you have ?s. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:42 PM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

I am also pretty sure it wasn't due to low gas in the tank as it happened several times to me just after filling up.

Also, I hazard to guess that it is probably not related to vapor lock because if it was, it would've happened before I hit the 125K mark (never did as I was sometimes driving it in 100-110 degree weather without any issues), and it would've happened again over the last 2-3K miles since I got the starter fixed.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Autobot

oh u had a unique problem then....

I think these guys are having the typical CL problem...

At low fuel, the car struggles to start, but indeed it does start...only when the needle hits the 1/4 mark and below.

After the fill up, it starts in less than a second....but now I start my car differently...after reading something on these forums, forgot where.

I let the computer start up everything until i hear a silent click, gotta listen for it (usually 3-5 seconds), then I start it....it was said that there could be a slight chance of it messing something up, but highly unlikely....i'm a paranoid person
Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 PM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

Originally posted by DanMan1464
oh u had a unique problem then....

I think these guys are having the typical CL problem...

At low fuel, the car struggles to start, but indeed it does start...only when the needle hits the 1/4 mark and below.

After the fill up, it starts in less than a second....but now I start my car differently...after reading something on these forums, forgot where.

I let the computer start up everything until i hear a silent click, gotta listen for it (usually 3-5 seconds), then I start it....it was said that there could be a slight chance of it messing something up, but highly unlikely....i'm a paranoid person
I know what you're referring to - and yes, to solve it, just turn the key to the full power position but just before it begins to turn the starter, let it sit 3 or so secs and then try to start. Ir will always fire up this way.

But (I think) the problem he has is that the car does start, so to speak, but the engine runs very rough and feels like it is misfiring and won't hold idle unless you manually give it gas and hold it down for a minute or two. Even though one can't flood the carb (since there is none to flood), it feels like the engine is being bogged down or in older cars, like the carb has too much gas in it - in general, it won't run smoothly, like only some cylinders are firing and not in the right order. Very odd feeling.