H22a ...or... F20b?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by f22vtec
blazinsi don't you think it would be more money to get an h22 to hit 220whp fully built rather than boosting an f22?

and shadoh i hope you actually get on of these swaps dont bail out! lol
Its really not that expensive. I made almost 200 with only bolt-ons and a clutch and flywheel, 220 is definitely within reach with a good tune and type-s cams. With what i'm setting up now, Jeff Evans himself told me i'd make 260-270 with a super safe tune.

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
I don't think you would have much trouble reaching 220whp with an all motor H22. Turbos are fun, but you have to take a ride in a solid all motor set up. The linear power and the sound of 9k RPM shifts makes for an exciting ride. You certainly won't have the power potential that you find in a turbo motor, but for the power levels you're shooting for, all motor is a pretty good option.
You are absolutely right! All motor linear power is so much fun, and safe and useful for a daily driver. If you do it right you can have a quick, reliable car that's a lot of fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, i love boost as a power adder, but i hate the headaches that come along with having a boosted car
Old 11-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ + with 2 cars that have the same whp, but one is na and the other boosted, the na will always win
Old 11-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh i honestly had no idea NA was like that lol.

@f22 I am getting one for sure, just before or after boot camp is up in the air. If i get this cleaning gig it might be before.

If i can reach my goals with NA and not have to worry about boosting i'll go that route, since it is a DD lol. I'll have to do some google reading on horsepower breakdowns idk why i thought 220-250 was some uber thing.

Thanks everyone Seriously you have all saved me a lot of headache.

Happy thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Euro925
^ + with 2 cars that have the same whp, but one is na and the other boosted, the na will always win
That's a good point. My all motor B18C makes 197 whp and I have lined up against a few turbo B and D series engines making around 230 whp. My ET's were almost a half second faster in the quarter mile.

The nice thing about a turbo set up is that there's more potential for less money. If you aren't happy with 250 whp then you can just make some adjustments, maybe swap a couple parts and you now have 300 whp.

But like DaInFaMMuS1 said, a solid H22 N/A set up can be extremely reliable, make good power and you might even get better gas mileage. I consistanly get 36 mpg in the city with mine.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd get better gas mileage if i wasnt so amused by vtec and mashing the gas all the time :/
Old 11-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
But like DaInFaMMuS1 said, a solid H22 N/A set up can be extremely reliable, make good power and you might even get better gas mileage. I consistanly get 36 mpg in the city with mine.

I think that gas mileage just sold me. 36? Thats insane man! What exactly do you have in your NA h22?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadoh
idk why i thought 220-250 was some uber thing.
Yeah I was like when I read that...
Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 AM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
I'd get better gas mileage if i wasnt so amused by vtec and mashing the gas all the time :/
What's the fun in not revving a fun to drive engine. I blew one engine like that and bent 5 valves on another. Damn I gave up my stroker just to rev past 8k.
My mpg was great but then it was also terrible. I got 32highway calm and 5street crazy.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gnate
Yeah I was like when I read that...

Lol i wish i was kidding Gnate, i've never cared about cars until a few months ago, now im like a crack addict. Just love reading up on them, and talkin about them, you know the grind :p I just still don't know much.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

I think that gas mileage just sold me. 36? Thats insane man! What exactly do you have in your NA h22?
he has a b18c not an H22. H22/23a will get around 28 to 34 from what i've experienced. I once made it between NY and Philly on a quarter tank, but i just cruised and barely grazed vtec lol. On a trip between the 2 cities where i raced a few times, i still made it in a little more than 1/2 a tank.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Lol i wish i was kidding Gnate, i've never cared about cars until a few months ago, now im like a crack addict. Just love reading up on them, and talkin about them, you know the grind :p I just still don't know much.
Keep reading and searching

Old 11-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Custom User Title

^ +1

I'm still waiting to see when this thread turns into a non-search machine and the swap is never complete. I'm that it doesn't.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

If it's OK with everyone, I would like to say a few things. If it's not Ok with everyone[or anyone] or if your easily offended, well then, sorry. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if I do, too bad! No one is forcing you to read it. (Plus, this is a free country and I know my amendment rights.)

1. I have read this whole posting from start to finish, and NOT ONCE did anyone commend (Shadoh) on his great choice and willingness to fight by joining a branch of the U.S. Armed forces.

* -From a multi-tour, Purple Heart/Bronze Star/multiple ArCom awarded retired veteran of the 101st Airborne, I want to personally THANK YOU for having more balls than the other 99% of the population. Most of which are weak, liberal, politically correct, living in a bubble wanna be's who could never make the cut (thank God,) and are too dumb or too weak to be trusted anyway.

2. Although your knowledge on the subject of automobiles & mechanics is obviously small, It was good to see a honest and real necessity for informative help from others who might have the information you seek to better make a wise & cost effective decision on your 'personal' build.

3. although I have only been a member of this site for about 6-8 months, I have read quite a few posts, and this post made by you [Shadoh] is very comprehensive and full of good, useful facts & knowledge. I personally am going to subscribe to it, and do hope that youwill not be deterred by the nay-sayers(or Canadians) and do follow through with putting all you learn associated with your build into a collective and send it through the proper channels to have it become a FAQ or How-to, or whatever it would be considered.

4. Good for you on having the balls to want to be different. I don't care if you wind up with a f20b or an h22. It's YOUR build, and only YOU can make it unique or just 'another import'. Your unique-ness is only limited by your intelligence and imagination as well as your want to "prove the hater's wrong" as they would say.

5. Some of the 'users' on here (as well as many other Forums) just take things too seriously. Or, like we saw in this thread, they jump to conclusions and start throwing insults and mis-guided anger at good people who were just trying to learn. I am not sure what causes individuals to do this, but whether it be arrogance, jealousy, anger, lack of self esteem, and/or over compensation for a lacking in specific bodily areas[men] it's unnecessary and unneeded in any environment. Especially an internet environment where one cannot defend oneself properly.

6. To 'DavZilla', You want to talk about punk racer's, and import ricer's, and how street racing is dumb and how one idiot either ruins it for everyone or makes all parties look bad. Well sir, I say you should take your own advice. Please THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. Always. The pen is absolutely mightier than the sword. A word, or any word, can cause a multitude of problems. Please, get a pen.... grab a post-it note, and for the good of the world please write on it, "Remember to think, THEN SPEAK!" Always think about those words before you say anything, to anyone, ever again. It's not a joke or a threat, just a good idea and a good way to keep oneself from getting into precarious situations in the future. (Heck, I do it myself. I have a Post-it on my laptop and my car dashboard. I think most people could use my idea to an advantage.)

-That's all i have to say. Shadoh, best of luck with your build (I will keep track best I can), and Godspeed on your journey through Basic and AIT. My best advice for getting through the first year or so of the military is, "Remember to think.... THEN SPEAK." Happy (belated) thanksgiving to everyone and Happy Holidays to all.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Custom User Title

Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StealthCL
I personally am going to subscribe to it, and do hope that you will not be deterred by the nay-sayers(or Canadians)
Ahahaha! WIN!

That reminds me of Dicorp. What is it with you Canadians eh?
Haha jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkj kjkjk!!11!1!ONE!!1
Old 11-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

If it's OK with everyone, I would like to say a few things. If it's not Ok with everyone[or anyone] or if your easily offended, well then, sorry. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if I do, too bad! No one is forcing you to read it. (Plus, this is a free country and I know my amendment rights.)

1. I have read this whole posting from start to finish, and NOT ONCE did anyone commend (Shadoh) on his great choice and willingness to fight by joining a branch of the U.S. Armed forces.

* -From a multi-tour, Purple Heart/Bronze Star/multiple ArCom awarded retired veteran of the 101st Airborne, I want to personally THANK YOU for having more balls than the other 99% of the population. Most of which are weak, liberal, politically correct, living in a bubble wanna be's who could never make the cut (thank God,) and are too dumb or too weak to be trusted anyway.

2. Although your knowledge on the subject of automobiles & mechanics is obviously small, It was good to see a honest and real necessity for informative help from others who might have the information you seek to better make a wise & cost effective decision on your 'personal' build.

3. although I have only been a member of this site for about 6-8 months, I have read quite a few posts, and this post made by you [Shadoh] is very comprehensive and full of good, useful facts & knowledge. I personally am going to subscribe to it, and do hope that youwill not be deterred by the nay-sayers(or Canadians) and do follow through with putting all you learn associated with your build into a collective and send it through the proper channels to have it become a FAQ or How-to, or whatever it would be considered.

4. Good for you on having the balls to want to be different. I don't care if you wind up with a f20b or an h22. It's YOUR build, and only YOU can make it unique or just 'another import'. Your unique-ness is only limited by your intelligence and imagination as well as your want to "prove the hater's wrong" as they would say.

5. Some of the 'users' on here (as well as many other Forums) just take things too seriously. Or, like we saw in this thread, they jump to conclusions and start throwing insults and mis-guided anger at good people who were just trying to learn. I am not sure what causes individuals to do this, but whether it be arrogance, jealousy, anger, lack of self esteem, and/or over compensation for a lacking in specific bodily areas[men] it's unnecessary and unneeded in any environment. Especially an internet environment where one cannot defend oneself properly.

6. To 'DavZilla', You want to talk about punk racer's, and import ricer's, and how street racing is dumb and how one idiot either ruins it for everyone or makes all parties look bad. Well sir, I say you should take your own advice. Please THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. Always. The pen is absolutely mightier than the sword. A word, or any word, can cause a multitude of problems. Please, get a pen.... grab a post-it note, and for the good of the world please write on it, "Remember to think, THEN SPEAK!" Always think about those words before you say anything, to anyone, ever again. It's not a joke or a threat, just a good idea and a good way to keep oneself from getting into precarious situations in the future. (Heck, I do it myself. I have a Post-it on my laptop and my car dashboard. I think most people could use my idea to an advantage.)

-That's all i have to say. Shadoh, best of luck with your build (I will keep track best I can), and Godspeed on your journey through Basic and AIT. My best advice for getting through the first year or so of the military is, "Remember to think.... THEN SPEAK." Happy (belated) thanksgiving to everyone and Happy Holidays to all.
sounds likeeee....

LOL

but u do make a valid point in thanking him for his military duty and wanting to be different. The attack on canadians...idk bout that lol.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Shadoh i noticed u live in Tampa. I am back and forth to Tampa every 2 to 3 weeks, so if u need help on the swap, choosing something out, or anything just PM me. Also, my cousin's shop is in Ft. Lauderdale also, and they do great work. (look in the current projects thread for the 99 civic they converted to RWD as an example)
Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW!!! Some things never change!!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

just another reason i thank God i'm Canadian.

agree with the first part, but everything he resourced, i mean cut and pasted, was from a thread from 3+ years ago on another forum. if it was a revalation, you might wanna look around the internet some more, it's kinda big.

yeah don't take the advice of people who are trying to help you.

blah blah blah, freeedom of speach asshole, you said it yourself.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Mom why is there two?

Back on the subject with all this wonderful knowledge and info what are you swaying towards?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
k...so, what i miss about Canadians?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
And this is why threads go nowhere
Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Mom why is there two?

I'm down for getting back on track!!!!! J swap that thing!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ethenol
win
Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Euro925
win
Indeed.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ethenol
He'd have to change his whole subframe for that lol. Thus the 4 cylinder swaps. But hey, if u got the $$$...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

you guys keep mentionig this sub frame swap, but the front sub frame on my 97 3.0 has the bracket for the 2.2/2.3 front motor mount on it already. why wouldn't the opposite be true for the 2.2/2.3's?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Mom why is there two?

I'm pretty sure the subs are the same I might be mistaken. If you can weld you can swap anything. Motor mounts are easily made.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Mom why is there two?

Plus if they can put a J in a piece of crap civic. Anything is possible! ppppppppppppppffffffffffffffftttttttttttt......... ...... A civic seriously