H22a ...or... F20b?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f20 bore is 2mm less than the h22a sleeves, so i can bore them out to the size of the h22a's or larger.

So you're saying that if i don't mind spending the money, the H22 can be better for boosting than the f20b, while the f20b is just a better booster if you're not looking at redoing the internals? -Sorry im confused still, thanks for helping dav ;D
Old 11-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Just had a thought dav, if i go the h22 route, which after reading your stuff im seriously thinking is the better route for end results... If im going to redo the internals can i go get a junkyard USDM one and get the same power? Or will i still be lower than getting a JDM and redoing the internals?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
If you're boosting the H22 is better either way. Although the F20b has iron sleeves, you'll be unable to run big boost on it because of its high compression ratio. If you're going boost, F23 or H22 is your better bet than the F20b.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Gotcha, so out of all my research i end up back at an h22 for boosting lol. Would a USDM h22 work just as well since im reworking the internals?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:20 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I've been playing this game since 03. First off running the # right you are looking at a 20k-25k build if you are doing it right. My bottom end alone is running me close to 5k. Head ran me 6k. Parts, labor... believe me it ads up. I have also experimented into combinations and being unique. I myself was looking into a stroker build. A very long story short stroker turbo settups have a very short life so forget about your f20 and iron sleeves. Darton wet 45+ will take a beating of 90mm trim turbo. if you combine and try to make better you will be shortning the life span of the engine 100% ex g2x. In the end you need to decide how much power are you looking to make which will determine F or H series. Gl
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Not nearly enough boosted f's, I have a plan later in life to make one!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Instructor

Power wise 230+whp I still don't fully understand good and bad whp, I want a car that is quick response, and can handle the average stock car and average I/H/E car out there, unless its a car specifically meant for racing, mainly to shut up every ricer i see... every day... i hate them... for some reason im leaning heavily onto the f20b idk why lol.

If my desire would be met with just 200whp please let me know? Turbo is my final goal but if i can meet my desire to beat the average ricer without a turbo on either the f20b or the h22a without a turbo i can hold off on the extra spending,i wouldn't mind having a new engine in before boot camp :p
Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oi, i'm done wasting my time. racing ricers, fuck, we all thought you were serious.

street racing is for fags, go watch some more fast and furious.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Street Racing FTL
Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Chill down Dav, I am serious don't go jumping to an conclusions on that. This is a build i am going to to do but that is my desire since i spend most of my time surrounded by them on the roads. Would i take it to a track? Yes. Would i use it to shut them up? Yes. None of you can say you don't use your modded engines on the street when one of them is being overly obnoxious? -If you can i give you credit man, i couldn't... but im impulsive.

That little tantrum out of the way what do i need for that whp? 200-250?

Btw Dav we hold sanctioned, legal, races in this area some are sponsored by the police force, some of them them are sponsored by the racers themselves. Idk how they swing it but heres one of the fliers.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Drifting

street racing is a waste of time. i dont race any ricer i see. cause im not stupid enough to jump down to their level
Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Euro925
street racing is a waste of time. i dont race any ricer i see. cause im not stupid enough to jump down to their level
cuz u know their civic would stomp u?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Then you've got credit man im impulsive and easy to anger :p hopefully that will decrease with age.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I raced when I was your age, of course I was driving a car with 300+ HP
Old 11-23-2009, 03:38 PM
One custom CL

Ok. 200 - 250whp. Real easy. Boosting your F series would give you the best bang for a buck on a forced induction setup. Spending 20k or even 10k on a H isn't worth it especially for 250whp. Dave should know the a.r. housing and trim for a small turbo to give you a nice punch. I was always under the impression you were going for 500hp setup. Stick with the F. It has some real potential with the numbers you are looking for. Good luck
Old 11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks bro, i havent figured out the whp things quit yet, i've been putting off finding a good resource to read up on it. I always thought 200-250 was something high, good to know its obtainable with a turbo.

Thanks yall. For the small turbo do i need to buy a kit or is there only a few things needed? I'll do some google reading tonight on it.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
for 250hp, buy ur freaking f20b or h22, get full bolt ons, a 75-100 shot, and a tune and call it a damn day.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shadoh
Chill down Dav, I am serious don't go jumping to an conclusions on that. This is a build i am going to to do but that is my desire since i spend most of my time surrounded by them on the roads. Would i take it to a track? Yes. Would i use it to shut them up? Yes. None of you can say you don't use your modded engines on the street when one of them is being overly obnoxious? -If you can i give you credit man, i couldn't... but im impulsive.

That little tantrum out of the way what do i need for that whp? 200-250?

Btw Dav we hold sanctioned, legal, races in this area some are sponsored by the police force, some of them them are sponsored by the racers themselves. Idk how they swing it but heres one of the fliers.

[IMG]http://www.sunshinedragstrip.com/Events/Street%20heat/Web%20Pages/FLYER%20-%20STREET%20HEAT.JPG[IMG]
no i don't race stupid kids and btw the only difference i can see btween the ricers and you is gonna be the lack of altezza's.

you have ALOT to learn and i'm sure some people on here will help, but really if you can just sit and read the forums and need to be spoon fed, then good luck learning a damn thing.

Last edited by davzilla; 11-23-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
cuz u know their civic would stomp u?
that too. so will all the other cars out there. including a damn geo metro
Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Dav for someone telling me I have a lot to learn, when your being extremely judgemental as well as slightly rude. I'm willing to say you have a lot of learning ahead of you too-different subjects than me but still a need. I haven't even spoken rudely to you once I've been thanking you all for helping and teaching me.

Spoonfed? Sorry if I'm researching and trying to learn things the proper way before sinking money into a build which I don't understand, did I use terms that you deem juvenille? Seems like, did I offend you? I'm not sure.... if I pissed any of you off I'm sorry I enjoy this forum and its wealth of knowledge. But I don't enjoy people becoming rude for no apparent reason. If you don't want to help me learn about the engines and what a proper build needs then that's fine? A shame not to continue to have your help? But id rather a silent thread than a flaming thread.

I fail to see the spoonfeeding though, I researched a lot of information and posted it all up with what I thought was how it worked and asked for help and comments. People gave input which was great input and very insightful as I have never denied I know next to nothing on this topic.

Why are you so quick to anger dav?

So ill apologize if I've somehow angered people with my brash wording, I enjoy this site and its people. Don't want anything in the way of that.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Dav for someone telling me I have a lot to learn, when your being extremely judgemental as well as slightly rude. I'm willing to say you have a lot of learning ahead of you too-different subjects than me but still a need. I haven't even spoken rudely to you once I've been thanking you all for helping and teaching me.

Spoonfed? Sorry if I'm researching and trying to learn things the proper way before sinking money into a build which I don't understand, did I use terms that you deem juvenille? Seems like, did I offend you? I'm not sure.... if I pissed any of you off I'm sorry I enjoy this forum and its wealth of knowledge. But I don't enjoy people becoming rude for no apparent reason. If you don't want to help me learn about the engines and what a proper build needs then that's fine? A shame not to continue to have your help? But id rather a silent thread than a flaming thread.

I fail to see the spoonfeeding though, I researched a lot of information and posted it all up with what I thought was how it worked and asked for help and comments. People gave input which was great input and very insightful as I have never denied I know next to nothing on this topic.

So ill apologize if I've somehow angered people with my brash wording, I enjoy this site and its people. Don't want anything in the way of that.
Don't worry about him dude. Some people have short fuses or bad days and come on AZine. I have learned a crap load about swaps just reading on all the info you posted in this thread. Don't let 1 person get to you.

Dav, I could see why you don't like road racing but seriously, I'm sure most of the teenagers on here including myself do an occasional road race and just not post about it. Probably most of the people on the forum in general too. No need to totaly bash on Shadoh here.

Last edited by GhettoNinja06; 11-23-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

LMAO you think i'm mad? hardly. i have alot to learn? wrong again.

if you had done any research at all you would have learned a while ago that you've picked the wrong platform to accomplish your goals.

then we would have all been saved from another annoying thread that will never go anywhere. there are literally hundreds of threads like this and they all end up the same.

you wanna go beat some ricers? go get something awd or rwd that's factory turbo.

hell go buy a civic and toss the f20b in that. why? cause that's what ricers do. you aren't old enough to figure this out yet, but when you sink to the level of the people you don't like you might as well be them.

some peoples children
Old 11-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
BTW, he already mentioned he's racing legaly so I don't know what you're getting all worked up about Dav.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Dav, I could see why you don't like road racing but seriously, I'm sure most of the teenagers on here including myself do an occasional road race and just not post about it. Probably most of the people on the forum in general too. No need to totaly bash on Shadoh here.
fuck that, i have teh same opinion (or lack there of) for anyone who does that shit. Why? cause it fucks up shit for eveyone else who isn't an idiot. EVERYONE SUFFERS FOR THE IGNORANCE OF FEW.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
BTW, he already mentioned he's racing legaly so I don't know what you're getting all worked up about Dav.
actually, he said they have legal racing, he might track his car and he wants to "shut them up" on the streets. sounds like a street ricer to me.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks bro, i havent figured out the whp things quit yet, i've been putting off finding a good resource to read up on it. I always thought 200-250 was something high, good to know its obtainable with a turbo.

What isn't obtainable with a turbo?

Last edited by Gnate; 11-23-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Well.. i have f20b swap on my CL...i really like this engine... But seriously, i think the H22 is a better option.. first, the parts are so hard to find. Second, the lack of torque is horrible...
BUT... still, the engine is pretty amasing. I wouldn't change it for nothing... well.. maybe for a k24 with a 6speed tranny but i'm dreaming...

One day i'll go turbo... one day...

The swap is pretty easy... your CL is a 5thgen Accord... you use the same engine support, same drive shaft,... almost a plug and play swap... just need the ECU and the engine...
The real problem is the wiring.. a $!#^& puzzle...

Last edited by Kiwi///girL; 11-23-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Instructor

Thank ninja,

Thanks Kiwi im glad to hear first hand experience on the engine and swap.

Dav you might not have a lot to learn on these topics, hell you don't have much to learn if any. But as far as common communication goes, i think you missed a few classes.

How is racing legally, a street ricer? I learned some good stuff from what you've said, but i've had to ignore most of this page from you... This thread as i've mentioned before is an information dump so i can figure out what i could do, need to do, etc... My swap wont be done until after boot camp (unless i get lucky) So i have no idea where you get off claiming this will be another useless go no where thread? Since this thread has already filled its mission, and then some. Honestly man im trying to be civil, while you're continuing to be a dick. If you're so bothered by this thread, or what ever it is that causes you to be such a dick on this thread... don't come onto this thread... problem solved. So take my thanks, and move on.

Or drop it, and move on when i post a question either ignore it, or answer it. But don't go an be a dick that solves nothing.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

BTW, if you guys think i'm going over board about this, just wait till they have laws like they do here where you live. Street racing got so bad up here they have special police division to deal with it. As it is now you can get charged with streetracing/careless/stuntdriving, even if you are the only car on the street/hwy. car gets impounded on the spot, license suspended for a week plus fines. that's the first offence too. like doing 110km/h in a 60km/h zone out in the country with nobody for miles, that's considered street racing now.

so no, i'm not overreacting.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Instructor

With those laws i can see where you're coming from now bro, what all caused that though? Illegal street races got so bad they cracked down like that? Wow... that is really bad.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
h23 vtech is best h22 head with h23 block atype s valve train and type s pistons out of a jdm s prelude bb6 youl be in the 230-240 hp range with a good build
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/T3chnici.../2/RWSLsLtz2qw

similar h series n/a build feal free to hit him up hese from talli florida real nice guy who builds headers n does tuning and builds h series engine all day btw u know they have a engine and tranny mount swap kit for the cl-s engine for first gens some one made for accord 5th gens
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

With those laws i can see where you're coming from now bro, what all caused that though? Illegal street races got so bad they cracked down like that? Wow... that is really bad.
yeah actually it wasn't so much the racing they had problems with (kidding), it was the fatalities of people not even involved.

there was an incident about a month ago, BMW doing 200km/h+ in the city limits, literally drove through a minivan as it crested a hill. t-boned them splitting the van into 3 pieces killing the family in the van iirc. the guy in the BMW took a cab to hospital.

you said nothing about legal racing at first and we all know the kids that piss you off are not the ones that will be at the track to race. that's why i'm making such a big deal over this. you think i'm being a dick, and that's fine. i've been into imports since before the was even a game to be had.

i think i made my point
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Cleptosis i'll keep that guy on youtube, he's got some sick stuff thanks for the find bro.

Dav i can see your point now, defiantly see it, don't agree with your methods. but can't argue with your reasoning. I never brought up that it was legal racing.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

The laws are horrible in quebec too about street racing... but its not because you want a 300whp car that mean you'll just street race everywhere... I like my swap because its a nice swap, i can deffinetly kick some H22 ass, yeah i like reving my engine next to a yo-phat-chill kids on is rice civic, but that do not mean i am racing with him...

In quebec, if you're just driving, calm and relax, next to your car friend on a highway, exemple, you can have a ticket for street racing, that happened to someone i'd know.

Anyway...
For the Type S engine, i think its a good swap... but here in quebec, this engine is @$%&?* expensive... i've found one for 1000$CND but was not able to test it, the crank was all stuck in rust or what ever... had water on it for like 2 years.. and still 1000$... and anyway... i think you're better to swap a H22 first, test it, look if you like it, if you're ''feeling'' the engine too... if yes, mod it like hell and have fun!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM
One custom CL

Question

Originally Posted by Kiwi///girL
The laws are horrible in quebec too about street racing... but its not because you want a 300whp car that mean you'll just street race everywhere... I like my swap because its a nice swap, i can deffinetly kick some H22 ass, yeah i like reving my engine next to a yo-phat-chill kids on is rice civic, but that do not mean i am racing with him...

In quebec, if you're just driving, calm and relax, next to your car friend on a highway, exemple, you can have a ticket for street racing, that happened to someone i'd know.

Anyway...
For the Type S engine, i think its a good swap... but here in quebec, this engine is @$%&?* expensive... i've found one for 1000$CND but was not able to test it, the crank was all stuck in rust or what ever... had water on it for like 2 years.. and still 1000$... and anyway... i think you're better to swap a H22 first, test it, look if you like it, if you're ''feeling'' the engine too... if yes, mod it like hell and have fun!
How do you kick H22 ass if you have a smaller version of one. Smaller displacement and less tq. Please don't tell me its lighter in weight.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Hell no lol! I'll never say that..
Yeah, my F20b is a smaller H22, but i have a T2T4 tranny, shorter then the H22 M2B4 or what ever else, so that's why my car can be a challenge for a stock H22... (without the same tranny as mine or the M2B4)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahh you guys really hate civics dontcha??
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
I don't think you would have much trouble reaching 220whp with an all motor H22. Turbos are fun, but you have to take a ride in a solid all motor set up. The linear power and the sound of 9k RPM shifts makes for an exciting ride. You certainly won't have the power potential that you find in a turbo motor, but for the power levels you're shooting for, all motor is a pretty good option.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blazinsi don't you think it would be more money to get an h22 to hit 220whp fully built rather than boosting an f22?

and shadoh i hope you actually get on of these swaps dont bail out! lol

Quick Reply: H22a ...or... F20b?