got my tint done today... need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow it's worse than what I pictured. In this pic you can see the overlapping you mentioned and if you look carefully at the picture you can also see that he actually missed a spot!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 07:31 PM
*~ i am a girl ~*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay so i finally got ahold of the guy tonite... i told him it looks pretty bad, and he's like "what do you mean??"

...so i mentioned the fact that my back window is done in 4 PIECES... the fact that my side windows are like freakin yellowy-green mirrors... the fact that there's a 1/4 gap in the tint on one side of my back window... and so on!!

he says "well hardly anyone tints the back window in one piece, especially on a car like yours" because you have to have special tools, skills, whatever. he says that he tints EVERY car (even the new ones from the Nissan dealership where he works) exactly like he did mine and has never had a complaint. wtf?!

so finally he's like "okay what do you want me to do about it"

considering that i already wasted a whole day having him screw it up, i said that i think he needs to give me my $$ back and remove everything... so i could take it someplace else and have it done the RIGHT way without getting charged any more for removal.

then i felt bad cuz he's spending so much time on it (even if it IS his fault that it looks icky), so i said "okay, since i know you spent a lot of time on it, how bout you can just give me $75 back (out of $125 total) and you can keep $50." i think this is MORE than generous, right?

his response: "i'll give you $50 back"

what?!?! i'm tryin to be NICE and NOT make him give me ALL my money back & he wants to bargain a lil more?!

ohhh my goodness i sooo hate fighting with people. it makes me feel all bitchy, which is definitely not how i am! but the thing is, we're talkin about my CAR here, and NO ONE MESSES WITH MY CAR BIATCH!! :wink:
Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
fuck that, seriously. You are getting taken. You need to take the car to him and say "this looks acceptable to you". If he says yes then he's a moron. I'd ask for a full refund.

At worse it should be 75 and he removes all the tint. This guy did a shady as job. EVERYONE these days does rear windows in one piece, aside from a VW bug.

That rear window is horrible! I'd also take it to the people that recommended him to you and show it to them and tell them your story.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:45 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
the brake cut out alone is rediculous.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Get your money back and find places in jersey. There are a few here by Rutgers University. Lemme know if you need a recommendation. They do a great job around here, just ask the people whoes seen my car
Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
teh Senior Instigator

stop fucking hitting on her!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:52 PM
i like orange juice

Originally posted by CLpower
stop fucking hitting on her!
thats my job damnit...
Old 04-30-2004, 11:53 PM
The movement has started

Daymn john deer mowers!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:54 PM
i like orange juice

Originally posted by baka_t
Daymn john deer mowers!
Old 04-30-2004, 11:56 PM
The movement has started

You guys are trying to cut eachothers' grass in other words.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:59 PM
i like orange juice

Originally posted by baka_t
You guys are trying to cut eachothers' grass in other words.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Racer

that tint looks nasty.....im just wondering what kind of tint film did he use on it???
Old 05-01-2004, 06:52 AM
*~ i am a girl ~*

Originally posted by npchottboi
Get your money back and find places in jersey. There are a few here by Rutgers University. Lemme know if you need a recommendation. They do a great job around here, just ask the people whoes seen my car
unfortunately i live about 6 hours away from jersey

anyone know of a good place in western PA??
Old 05-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally posted by mesmerize
okay so i finally got ahold of the guy tonite... i told him it looks pretty bad, and he's like "what do you mean??"

...so i mentioned the fact that my back window is done in 4 PIECES... the fact that my side windows are like freakin yellowy-green mirrors... the fact that there's a 1/4 gap in the tint on one side of my back window... and so on!!

he says "well hardly anyone tints the back window in one piece, especially on a car like yours" because you have to have special tools, skills, whatever. he says that he tints EVERY car (even the new ones from the Nissan dealership where he works) exactly like he did mine and has never had a complaint. wtf?!

so finally he's like "okay what do you want me to do about it"

considering that i already wasted a whole day having him screw it up, i said that i think he needs to give me my $$ back and remove everything... so i could take it someplace else and have it done the RIGHT way without getting charged any more for removal.

then i felt bad cuz he's spending so much time on it (even if it IS his fault that it looks icky), so i said "okay, since i know you spent a lot of time on it, how bout you can just give me $75 back (out of $125 total) and you can keep $50." i think this is MORE than generous, right?

his response: "i'll give you $50 back"

what?!?! i'm tryin to be NICE and NOT make him give me ALL my money back & he wants to bargain a lil more?!

ohhh my goodness i sooo hate fighting with people. it makes me feel all bitchy, which is definitely not how i am! but the thing is, we're talkin about my CAR here, and NO ONE MESSES WITH MY CAR BIATCH!! :wink:

Hes trying to rob you. He knows your a girl, and now realizes you have a weakness for being nice. Fuck him, be a complete bitch. Its not like hes treating you nice. I would get it completely redone or all the money back. Might be a little difficult after you already said you didn't want al the money thou. I had a situation with a tint shop were i specifically told them to tint over the third brake light and they didn;t and said i never told them to even thou he wrote it down on his paper. I had em tint anll my windows, and 1 day after i was driving with my friend, and hadnt touched the windows because your not supposed to open em for like a week. Well i hit a bump in the road and the whole window just popped up out of the window and seemed like it was about to eject onto the road. It was bent out and sticking past theroof by like 3 inches. I had to go straight to the dealer and leave it there for 2 days so they could order a new window motor and other shit to fix. It was definatley a huge hassle. I ended up getting him to remove the front 2 window tints for free.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:49 AM
*~ i am a girl ~*

the drama continues...

y'all won't believe this...

the guy just called me again, saying that he "changed his mind" about removing it & refunding part of my money.

now he says that the ONLY thing he's willing to do is to redo my back window -- still in 4 pieces of course... and do it with the same yellowish-green reflective tint he used on the sides... so hey, at least everything will match right?!

i argued with him about it for 10 minutes or so, and he just keeps saying he's not obligated to do ANYTHING, since he sees nothing wrong with it & supposedly "no one else has every complained about it."

so what the hell do i do now?!?! i'm definitely not going along with his offer, since my car looks *ridiculous* the way it is now. black cars need BLACK tint, not this fruity mirrored colored crap, which i never agreed to in the first place.

but technically i can't MAKE him give me what i want, right??

i'm gonna go cry now
Old 05-01-2004, 01:18 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
what an asshole....if he's not gonna give u back any money now. have him at least remove the tint for you and bring it to someone else to do it right.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:20 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
youve gotta have a jacked friend that you know.

go over to his place with a big dude and give him demands.

he'll pop under pressure like tires and potholes
Old 05-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you I would just cut my losses and try to have him remove everything!!! That way when you do get it tinted the right way, the next shop wont charge you for removal of the old tint.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

anyone know of a good place in western PA??
There is a guy right down the street from me that has a 100% money back quarentee and a lifetime quarentee on the tint.

Did all my cars..all he does is Tint..

Just PM me if you want to travel to Pittsburgh... I will set you an appt. if you want or you can give him a call.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:32 AM
1st Gear

Small Claims Court

Where you live there should be a small claims court that you can file a complaint in. There are a couple things that you will need to get your money back though:

1) a receipt or invoice that stated he was going to use solid black tint, or a specific color (or else you can prove he agreed to do the same color all around

2) picutres of other cars with tinted windows. this will prove that your windows were not tinted properly.

if you can produce those two items, you should be able to convince a judge that he has not performed his job as specified. You should be able to get a full refund and possibly have him remove the tint or pay for the removal fee from another tint place (all of that would be court ordered, so he would have to do it or risk other fines and punishment)

Also, I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and have them investigate his business practices.

Or, if you wanted to fuck with him, take your reciept and sit outside his place and talk to everyone going in for window tinting and show them your car. After they see his terrible job they'll leave and after a day he'll give in to all your demands so that he can start screwing people over again.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:52 AM
i like orange juice

Re: Small Claims Court

Originally posted by Megaman5k
Where you live there should be a small claims court that you can file a complaint in. There are a couple things that you will need to get your money back though:

1) a receipt or invoice that stated he was going to use solid black tint, or a specific color (or else you can prove he agreed to do the same color all around

2) picutres of other cars with tinted windows. this will prove that your windows were not tinted properly.

if you can produce those two items, you should be able to convince a judge that he has not performed his job as specified. You should be able to get a full refund and possibly have him remove the tint or pay for the removal fee from another tint place (all of that would be court ordered, so he would have to do it or risk other fines and punishment)

Also, I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and have them investigate his business practices.

Or, if you wanted to fuck with him, take your reciept and sit outside his place and talk to everyone going in for window tinting and show them your car. After they see his terrible job they'll leave and after a day he'll give in to all your demands so that he can start screwing people over again.
good first post..and some good advice... but some people dont wanna hassle for that.... but sitting outside his place sounds like a plan
Old 05-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Racer

http://complaints.bbb.org/Welcome.asp

Three words...... Better Business Bureau

I cant believe nobody has said it yet. Just go to the website above and file a complaint online, its pretty self explanatory. A while back some shop wanted to charge me extra stuff like supplies and BS labor that I know I didnt need or ask for. About 2 weeks after I contacted the BBB I had a my money back and a free oil change for my trouble.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by Repo1234
If I were you I would just cut my losses and try to have him remove everything!!! That way when you do get it tinted the right way, the next shop wont charge you for removal of the old tint.

there is a lot of shadyness in this industry and sometimes you just have to cut your losses, $125 is nothing compared to what i've lossed on various projects.

In all honesty, the way he's treating you, i'd take him to small claims court. You'd definately win w/ those pictures.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by dulux
http://complaints.bbb.org/Welcome.asp

Three words...... Better Business Bureau

I cant believe nobody has said it yet. Just go to the website above and file a complaint online, its pretty self explanatory. A while back some shop wanted to charge me extra stuff like supplies and BS labor that I know I didnt need or ask for. About 2 weeks after I contacted the BBB I had a my money back and a free oil change for my trouble.

he's a tint shop, i doubt he's even on there
Old 05-05-2004, 10:07 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Re: the drama continues...

i argued with him about it for 10 minutes or so, and he just keeps saying he's not obligated to do ANYTHING, since he sees nothing wrong with it & supposedly "no one else has every complained about it."

has he seen his work?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

even if he is not on there, the BBB will lobby and bug the hell out of the guy for free on your behalf with a couple letters and phone calls. Isnt it worth it to file a complaint? Its free and only takes you 3 minutes for his couple hours of aggrovation.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
teh Senior Instigator

I don't think the BBB does anything until after multiple complaints
Old 05-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Drifting

What did you expect for $125. The guy did it for so cheap he had to go and get some ghetto ass Walmart tints.:o
Old 05-05-2004, 01:47 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by Nugs3
What did you expect for $125. The guy did it for so cheap he had to go and get some ghetto ass Walmart tints.:o
125 isn't ghetto cheap. Out here the well known experienced shops charge about 150 or so. My boy just had his maxima done for 90 and it came out clean. Price usually doesn't determine quality of install, but quality of film
Old 05-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Racer

Nah the BBB works on each complaint filed to find a resolution for individual complaints, they are actually better than I expected, but then again they are a government funded agency and thats all they do all day.

Second price has nothing to do with tint jobs, I paid $70 for my tint, got it in perfectly balanced 5% black (no other colors) and my back window in one piece. This is warrantied so if Im not happy I get it done again free.

^ my tint
Old 05-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

girl, bring a guy friend w/ you. one that can talk. make him remove everything and a full refund. he's doing that, you're a girl so he can take advantage of you thing.

don't be nice. dont' be afraid to be a bitch. don't be afraid to make a scene either. i'm sure if you show that job to his custiomers, he'll bulge. he fucked up. he has to face the music. it's not like you know him personally.

get everything back and nothing less.

oh yeah, you forgot to mention the gap he left behind on the passager side.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Advanced

^ Almost everything that I've done for my car, I brought my boyfriend. I'm new to this and so I learn from him and watch how he interacts w/ the people. It also prevents those guys from taking advantage of me. Just keep on bitching. Don't give up until you get a full refund for the fucked up job he did.