Got jacked by a cop...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got jacked by a cop...

i got pulled over by a cop for my tint on the front windows, exhaust (tenzo), and he gave me a verbal warning about my car being too low (luckily he didn't see that i didn't have a front license plate). anyone who lives in california know the exhaust laws and laws for lowering? is there any way to get around this? i really don't want to get rid of my exhaust or my lowering. suggestions needed badly!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 12:46 AM
tlac356

dude, if the cops are going to bust you for exaust, you might as well run open header
Old 02-12-2002, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by clac225
dude, if the cops are going to bust you for exaust, you might as well run open header
If you run open headers on a CL you wont have any back pressure and the car will be as slow as a turtle. You might have better top end speed but it will take you an hour to get there.

Don't know the laws in Cali but in Florida the laws about dropping are simply that your headlights can't be lower than a certain height and exhaust can't be louder than a certain dB.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

don't know if this will help, but when I had my accord, I got pulled over on the grapevine for my GREDDY exhaust. the CHP officer said my exhaust was illegal and it was a 200 dollar fine plus a fix-it to be signed off by CHP. Anyways, I went to the dealer and they gave me a GREDDY certificate that showed not only was it legal in California, but it was certified and approved by the CHP as a legal replacement for an oem muffler. The only problem was that to contest the ticket I would have to drive back down to LA and take a day off from work, so I just said f*ck it and paid the fine. I had the Oakland CHP sign off on the fix-it part after I showed them the GREDDY certificate.

So I guess the thing for you is...if it's sold in California, it's probably legal and you just need to get a copy of it's registration with the state. I can't remember the 3-letter certifying body at the moment. Anyways, the place you bought it could probably get you some papers. Also - usually if aftermarket exhaust is ilegal in this state, it's not for emission reasons (since theoretically it's cat back) but for surpassing some db level they use a a standard. So a police officer has to prove in court that your exhaust (if certified) violates this db level, and they usually can't.

Some of this may have changed in recent years though...
Old 02-13-2002, 09:56 AM
What can I get ya?

I just read that, still very true.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:34 PM
Racer

In California I think the law is the center of your headlight has to be at least 21 inches from the ground. I read that is a issue of Turbo that was sitting in the waiting room of my dealer.