Fuck...help quick...rear ended old lady...barely any damage but she wants to report

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 07:28 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Fuck...help quick...rear ended old lady...barely any damage but she wants to report

So I made a dumbfuck move and took my eyes off the road when making a right yeilding to traffic and nudged into the rear of a late model civic going less than 1mph driven by an old lady. I got about 2 inches of scuff above my licence plate which probably will fuckin buff out easy, and she barely got 1 inch of scuffing on the bottom of her bumper near the muffler along with miraculously a small hole puncture about half the size of a dime. Only problem is, MY FUCKIN INSURANCE POLICY WAS CANCELLED JULY 26TH, cuz they were sending the bills to the wrong address and I totally lost track! She was pretty damn adament about reporting it even though it's bullshit damage, and took down my insurance and licence info anyways. Elder white lady in her 60's, I'd say. I asked her very politely if we could handle this outside of insurance since it's fuckin bullshit damage and not worth the rate increase and I'd be more than willing to handle the 150 or so worth of damage out of pocket. So I gave her my phone number and she gave me hers, but she said 'she still wanted to call insurance and make sure everything was ok.'

Ok, so now what the fuck do I do? I mean if she calls up her insurance and they find out I'm not covered, what's the worst that could happen to me?

Help asap would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW this is like my first accident in 3 years and my second in over 13 years of driving
Old 08-12-2008 | 07:44 PM
where is....

does she know that police don't even file reports that arent that bad?
my bro got in an accident in my cl and they didnt even file a report, the cop came down and hes like this isnt that bad so you don't need a report. he basicly did a little bs paper with driver licence numbers and registration.
Old 08-12-2008 | 07:48 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

yeah honestly i dont even know why she would want to report since it wasn't even more than 200 dollars (if that) worth of damage....I mean I know she doesnt have a 200 dollar deductible so it would be out of pocket anyways and plus her rates would go up even though she wasnt at-fault. but seriously, what's the worse that could happen to me at this point? I tried to renew but progressive offices are closed and it states that you can't renew insurance if you've had an accident during the grace period

I just dont want my license revoked or some bullshit over something this small...
Old 08-12-2008 | 07:50 PM
Bagel Bomber

Originally Posted by AznX TL
does she know that police don't even file reports that arent that bad?
my bro got in an accident in my cl and they didnt even file a report, the cop came down and hes like this isnt that bad so you don't need a report. he basicly did a little bs paper with driver licence numbers and registration.
Not around here...The police write up a report for every accident they are called to, no matter the damage, just for this very reason.

Its her car, you messed it up. You dropped the ball on the insurance, did you think it was paying itself? Tough love here man.....

In her defence, i guess, i wouldn't deal with it outside of insurance. Whats to say you dont change your story and never pay up ect... she doesn't know you, nor does she have anything to hold you to your word.

Let her insurance charge you, just know, shes also going to be making a few car payments with the extra $$
Old 08-12-2008 | 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

They will come after you, get your ins back right now, they should grandfather you
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

They definitely will come after you for not having insurance. For accidentally not having insurance for 30 days they doubled my dad's insurance. I can only imagine what they'll do for not having it while in an accident. Def some sort of license suspension or something im thinking. Sorry to hear that bro. I'd try to meet up with her again and pay her the 200 or more up front to have her make sure she doesn't go through insurance and possibly BEG her or something and state your issue.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:08 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

I made the overdue payment via their automated phone service and then talked to a customer rep and they asked me a series of fuckin questions including the

'have you or any other person with a vehicle on this policy been involved in damage or accident between july 26th and today?'

me: 'no.'

ok so my policy is reinstated as of 6:00pm...now the question is...did it do me any good. i guess we'll fuckin see. this sucks so bad, I honestly had no clue my insurance wasn't up to date

damnit, so you really think i should call her and just give her cash now? This really effin sucks....I think it's too late and its already been about 40 minutes and she said she was gonna report it. damnit damnit damnit.....
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:12 PM
where is....

call her?
just ask her to report it tomorrow or something.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:14 PM
Bagel Bomber

you can report it tomorrow, but when they ask the time it happened......?!?!?
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:16 PM
where is....

i also mean time it happened also happens to be tomorrow
but don't get caught, locked up for insurance fraud ftl.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Lying to the insurance, bad idea... just pay the woman
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:23 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

well its already too late about the insurance thing...just call me barry bonds

but yeah, my big eff up...shoulda been up more on my bills...my friend here locally that used to work at state farm said that worst that can happen is her insurance will give her 2 options for an accident of such small damage:

cover the damage under her policy

or have it covered under mine, at which point it'll be between me and progressive

either way it's gonna be more headache for her as I really doubt her deductible is under 200 bucks...which is why I was pleading to just pay out of pocket if she's really that anal about a pinhole in her stock civic....

but cops dont get involved in oregon in accidents under like 2000 dollars of damage

so I guess we shall see. If she calls me I'll pay her asap cash, as I'm definitely a man of my word....

I guess it's just the waiting game : /

thanks guys
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:24 PM
W WHIP.

edit, you posted before i could put my in. good luck with everything.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:37 PM
Bagel Bomber

If you do pay, watch yourself. Again, whats to stop her from taking your cash and then still presuing it via insurance. I would if you were stupid enough to not have me sign something relenquishing my rights to seek compensation for same damage through insurance. Use your head with this. I wouldn't have lie on the phone.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:52 PM
Drifting

that sucks dude. i hope it all works out for you
Old 08-12-2008 | 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I was gonna say, it's gonna be under her deductable, just pay for it
Old 08-12-2008 | 09:23 PM
07 tl-s in

only advice I got is like mach said if you pay outta pocket have her sign an agreement to cover your ass.good luck,hope all works out.
Old 08-13-2008 | 01:46 AM
¿baCon?

tell her you'll pay her with "your body". old women love that.,

sorry just trying to bring some humor to ya.

cheer up, dont worry to much, my brother was in a hit run (he ran) got caught, no ins, suspended license etc.... he got like 5 months probation thats it.
Old 08-13-2008 | 09:11 AM
Teh HORN!@!!!

Did she file a police report? Plus, I doubt its gonna be $150 to fix it. Remember, to seamlessly fix the problem they have to bondo the section of the bumper and paint the entire thing over. Now add in their material environmental removal crap and it'll add up to $500 real quick.

I can see where she is coming from, because I had the back bumper of my cl hit and let the guy "pay for it outside of ins" and regretted it. The painter sucked balls and the paint started chipping a few months after it was done. He did a horrible job and when i called him back to repaint it he somehow never answered his phone.

On your side maybe you will get lucky. Since there is no police report ask the woman if its ok to say the accident happened after the day you reinstated your ins. This way you can at least get it fixed the correct way. If she says no then id tell her to go fuck herself and let her ins go after yours then.
Old 08-13-2008 | 10:41 PM
Instructor

Damn bro i really dont have any legal adivce for you. I think the best thing you could do is call her and hurry up nd wait.
Old 08-14-2008 | 02:02 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

thanks much guys!

Actually I'm pretty much in the clear. She called up her insurance today and pretty much said they didn't do shit, since the damage is so small. And she said they told her they won't get dmv involved, so I'm pretty much in the clear. She told me they didn't even take any information, and wouldn't even suggest her any shops. So basically they didn't do shit. Interesting.

So she told me on friday she's going to take it to an independent shop in tigard and get a quote. I told her I now wanted to handle this through my insurance instead of out-of-pocket, and oddly enough her story changed, and now she really encouraged me to pay out of pocket. I told her I'll wait for the quote total and we'll go from there, since my insurance deductible for at-fault is like 300. And I know this bullshit will probably be much more. So now it's just the waiting game, she said she was gonna get the quote this friday.

Just happy my driving record isn't in jeopardy at this point. thanks dudes
Old 08-14-2008 | 02:09 AM
For Life

im sure she will drop it soon after realizing she'll be without a car for a few days. my chick hit another girl at school last year parked in handicap. it was a chevy on 22"s
Old 08-14-2008 | 02:12 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

^^ damn lol

im not sure if she's gonna drop it, I believe she's retired and thus has nothing better to do, but she does run a daycare and seems pretty busy. We shall see...you're right though, if she was smart she'd drop it, as technically I could push her to go through her insurance and not pay out of pocket which would mean more hasstle for her. Hopefully she'll come to her senses....I had similar damage on my last accord that wasn't my fault and decided to let the dude off the hook too since it was just too petty to go after...
Old 08-14-2008 | 02:21 AM
Burning Brakes

oh noes, the flawless paint is ruined.

that sucks dude, looks like everything might turn out ok.
Old 08-14-2008 | 09:04 AM
Drifting

congrats dude, glad everything is gonna be okay
Old 08-15-2008 | 02:12 AM
¿baCon?

Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
im sure she will drop it soon after realizing she'll be without a car for a few days. my chick hit another girl at school last year parked in handicap. it was a chevy on 22"s

was yo girl drivin your CL when she hit that chevy??

just wonderin, if I had your CL i dont think i'd let myself drive it.

by far my fav 1st gen.
Old 08-15-2008 | 11:28 AM
Instructor

glad to hear that your going to be ok with the police.