Finally..................

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 07:13 AM
Gas, Grass, or Ass.......

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally..................

Just bought a used 98 CLP. Was driving a 91 RX7 Convertible with over 150 thou on it. Have wanted a CL eversince I saw my first one so I'm a very happy dude. My mazda was slightly modified, cat-back, K&N air intake, and a bumpin sound system.

The first thing I did to my CL was replace all the audio eq. Went with Alpine (CDA7995) head unit, one JL250/1 for the sub, a JL300/4 for the front and rear, THX 10 sub (soon to be replaced with a Boston 10, this was the only left over component from the Mazda) Boston Rally RM9's up front, and Boston Pro 6X9's in the rear. I think I have the the sound system I want, but am wondering about some esthetic/performance stuff.

Would like to lower the car and change rims and tires, I've looked around the forum quite a bit and have decided on going up to 17 rims and and dropping the car at least 1.5" looking for suggestions on what springs/shocks and also tire sizes and options. Also if there are any forum members in the Northern VA area some shop recommendations to have the work done would be appreciated.

Thanks
Truce
Old 06-14-2002, 08:02 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

The Eibach Pro-Kit will drop you about 1.4". The Eibach Sportlines will drop you a little more (about 1.7").

With 17s, you'll want to look for some with a 45 series and either 215 or 225 width.

I'm not familiar with the shops over in NOVA, how about installing them yourself?

BTW: You may want to change shocks at the same time. Try the Tokico "Blues", KYB AGXs, or the Koni "Yellows".

Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:28 AM
You know him right?

dust pretty much said it all...I have 17's and I just bought Neuspeed Sports (1.75/F and 1.5/R) along with the KYB AGX adjustable shocks. You might need to get a camber kit with a drop around 1.5", so the Ingalls are probably the best from what I've read.

As far as esthetics, I would definately get a set of clear bumper lenses, tints, spoiler (IMO), to start...thats what I've done (well, what I am going to do)!!!!
Old 06-16-2002, 05:10 PM

Putting my shopping list together!!

Thanks fella's.

Putting my list together now. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Eibach Pro-Kit, Camber Kit, and KYB AGX Shocks

New rims and tires are where I get stuck. I want the widest combination I can go with without them rubbing. Any suggestions on exactly what would work size wise. I've looked around a ton of websites, there seem to be allot of rim/tire combo specials, I'm just not sure what's what as far as sizes. Oh yeah and what's the deal with "offset" and do I need to be concerned about it? ?

I'd love to do all the work myself, only problem is I live in an apartment. If I even pop the hood to check the oil theres a chance I may get a note on my door! ! !

Truce
Old 06-16-2002, 06:34 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

You shouldn't need a camber kit for the Eibach Pro-Kit (I didn't).

This is the tire/rim set-up that I have (no rubbing): Rims = 18" x 7.5", 42mm offset

Tires = Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 P225/40R18 Z

Old 06-16-2002, 10:43 PM
You know him right?

Dust is pretty quick at responding...buts he's right again...good chance you won't need a camber kit with the prokit...You will most likely only need a camber kit if you decide to go lower. (I am lowering my car first, hoping that the alignment guy has some magic up his sleeves, and if not, then I'll buy a camber kit) In otherwords, buy the camber kit only if you need it.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:19 PM

Patiently waiting on my parts to get here. After reading just about every post on this forum, I decided to buy a bit more then I originally planned!!!!! The last thing I'd like to do (at least for now) is replace the muffler, any recommendations? I want something that will give a bit of performance, but want it more for sound then anything. I don't want it to be as loud as my Chopper, but I want it to sound a bit more intimidating then it does. Here's what I'm waiting on:

Nexus Speedy 18X7.5's Silver
Kumho ECSTA Supra's 225/40ZR18's
KYB AGX's
Eiback Pro-Kit
Weapon r CAI (I plan on installing this myself, screw the neighbors)
Muffler???????????????

Thanks for all the help!!! I'll post pictures once everything is done.

Truce
Old 10-18-2002, 01:00 AM
Golf Addict!!!

Did you ever get all those things installed? Where are the pics?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:26 AM
Still trolling

Yeah, you shouldn't need a camber kit with a Prokit. And if you decide to go with the sportlines, or any other spring for a >1.5" drop, get the new adjustable ball joints for the front end. If you get the other kind of camber kit, your gonna hit the inner upper fender well. THe reaplcment ball joints are only about 50 more, but not rubbing/hitting anything. I am getting my new ball joints installed today or tomorrow (got the drop and wheels on Wednsday).
Old 10-18-2002, 07:46 AM

Everything has been installed plus a few other things. I would post pictures but all of the pictures I have are much larger then 1byte or whatever the err message says. I think everything I have is listed in my signature.

I did need Camber Kits installed, both rear wheels and driver side front. After the drop the car wouldn't re-align back to factory specs. Looked like a old VW Bug before Camber Kits were installed. Everything has worked out fine, the car handles 100% better, no rubbing anywhere and I've puposely taken it over some of the roughest roads in the area. I've even done it with a full car load still no rubbing, and that's pretty amazing given the roads in the DC area. After about 5000 miles I have no unusual tire wear.

I'll never understand exactly why I need Camber Kits, especially since there are plenty of people with the same drop, same size wheels and tires?????????? It's been a mystery, but trust me I saw the car before and after. The work was done by a professional shop in Leesburg, VA by a trusted friend of a friend.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:59 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
whats a chopper rigid 230?
Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 AM

My bike. Rigid Frame, 230 rear tire. Has nothing to do with my CL.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
Im an idiot, i didnt even notice the "HD" Sorry bout that
Old 10-18-2002, 10:43 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Originally posted by rebeltruce
Everything has been installed plus a few other things. I would post pictures but all of the pictures I have are much larger then 1byte or whatever the err message says. I think everything I have is listed in my signature.
If you want, send the pics to me and I'll post them: hoover6479@msn.com

BTW: Several of us are going to 75-80 Sunday morning to run. Wanna come? Check out the thread over in the "Sanctioned Racing" forum.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:29 AM

I'm gonna try and be there between 10:30 and 11. Gotta witness the record breaking run.