The final word on Dr evil tranny compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The final word on Dr evil tranny compatibility

I swear I made this post earlier, but I think my connection screwed up just as I was posting it. anyways on with the post...

short answer: yes the dr evil tranny will work for 3.0CL, but you have to specifiy when you set up the replacement.

long answer:
ok, so after several days in contact with dr evil and researching several alternatives for transmission replacement/upgrade on my 3.0CL, I learned about dr evil's tranny.

The internals of the two transmissions between the 98-02 V6 accord and the 98-99 3.0CL are almost identical as the tranny's are "from the same family" as stated by a representative of Dr evil. The upgrade would be identical: upgrade on all internals, including torque convertor, addition of LSD differential. Capable of withstanding up to 500 crank HP with no problems.

Transmission build time: 2-3 weeks + shipping and install time

pricing:
$4500 normally.
-$500 for mentioning referal from V6Performance.net
= $4000 net price
+ $500 core deposit
+ shipping and instalation costs.

after you send them back your used transmisison, you would get back the $500 core deposit. So if you were to have a professional transmission shop install the new tranny and uninstall the old one, I would have at least $5000 available for this if you want it all done right.

whether this is worth it to you or not is completely up to you. just thought I would let you all know that it WILL work, but you have to let them know the application.

peace, and good luck.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm a llama :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THat is awesome! Now I wish I had a 3.0 . I would KILL for a 3.0!
Old 03-26-2005, 03:18 AM
Safety Car

why woudl you kill for a 3.0? unless you have an auto 2.x, then I seriously wish I had a manual, but a manual swap is way to much work and the car wouldn't be like it came stock with the manual, so I'm not into it that much.

offtopic though: you live in portland? my sister is going to school there. she manages a spa there too. it's pretty sweet.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:23 AM
Revelation 3:15-17

That's pretty steep for an auto tranny. IMO
Will this tranny be similar to a sequential sport tranny or will it be based on the same ol'
4 spd auto currently on our 3.0's?
Old 03-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Safety Car

it'll be the same ol' 4 speed from teh current 3.0's, but from the impressions fromt eh accord guys that got it, if you were to gate shift it, it shifts just as fast (if not faster) than the SS in the 2nd gen CLS's. you can always request different gearing if you so desire. but the only way to make it chagnet he # of gears would be to either replace or reprogram the factory ECU.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by Motohip
THat is awesome! Now I wish I had a 3.0 . I would KILL for a 3.0!
it's all about the 3.0, v6 baby
Old 03-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
it'll be the same ol' 4 speed from teh current 3.0's, but from the impressions fromt eh accord guys that got it, if you were to gate shift it, it shifts just as fast (if not faster) than the SS in the 2nd gen CLS's. you can always request different gearing if you so desire. but the only way to make it chagnet he # of gears would be to either replace or reprogram the factory ECU.

For a total of about 5k, I'd rather try finding a 03-04' V6 ( 240hp )Accord engine and 6 spd tranny swapped for about the same price or a little more.
Maybe if the tranny Dr. Evil tranny were about $3.5k including installation, then
I'd definately consider buying it. I've read about some members in here swapping
an H22 for about 3.5k which IMO is AWSOME.

What have the guys over at V6.net said about the Dr. Evil tranny?....and have they made any significant performance upgrade after the tranny was installed?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:52 PM

why woudl you kill for a 3.0? unless you have an auto 2.x, then I seriously wish I had a manual, but a manual swap is way to much work and the car wouldn't be like it came stock with the manual, so I'm not into it that much.

offtopic though: you live in portland? my sister is going to school there. she manages a spa there too. it's pretty sweet.

Yaeh, I have an auto. The only good thing about the 2.x is the manual tranny option, but I don't even have that. I really don't care that much if it's auto as long as the motor has enough power.

That's cool about your sister. She go to PSU?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DivineCL
For a total of about 5k, I'd rather try finding a 03-04' V6 ( 240hp )Accord engine and 6 spd tranny swapped for about the same price or a little more.
Maybe if the tranny Dr. Evil tranny were about $3.5k including installation, then
I'd definately consider buying it. I've read about some members in here swapping
an H22 for about 3.5k which IMO is AWSOME.

What have the guys over at V6.net said about the Dr. Evil tranny?....and have they made any significant performance upgrade after the tranny was installed?
well the H22 swap is relatively easy. it's been done many times before and I think all the mounts are identical, or you can just buy the different mount. But I don't think ANYBODY has done that kind of swap before. Not to mention that the exhaust manifold is WELDED on to the engine block for some stupid ass reason, so you'd have to either chop it off or find some way to work that into your current exhaust setup.

considering that the people over at AV6 have done just the manual swap for just $2000 for parts alone at COST, then I'd bet that all the other stuff in there to include the engine and everything it gonna cost somewhere around an additional $3000 + I'm betting around $1500 installation unless you have a major hookup.

you'd probably be beter off swapping in a CLS engine with the MT ecu and using the MT from teh 7th gen accord, but then that might cause some problams also. Now that I think about it that might work too. I'm gonna look into that.

oh yeah, and if you go to the second gen forums here you might see a thread recenly by I think his name is 02AV6 and he's fot the dr evil tranny, swapped in all kinds of shit from the 3.2 CLS engine and has forged bisons, all kinds of shit, and he's probably putting down about 400 whp or so. maybe more.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Motohip
Yaeh, I have an auto. The only good thing about the 2.x is the manual tranny option, but I don't even have that. I really don't care that much if it's auto as long as the motor has enough power.

That's cool about your sister. She go to PSU?
oh that kinda sucks, but at least your car looks nice. I dig the drop.

I don't really know where she goes, lol. It's probably PSU. I think she's like 22 or something, lol I don't even know how old she is. I'm a terrible brother.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

this is probably completely OT, but has anyone looked into the possibility of swapping one of the new honda 6mt's (like for the tsx or rsx, less-likely s2000) into a 2.x, even if its already manual, b/c the gearing would most likely be better and maybe offer better highway mileage?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:21 AM

Well those cars use K-series engines and they are totaly different. TOtaly different. S2000 uses an f-series I think, but that's also TOTALY different.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:40 AM
CL 4 LYFE

imho, if i had a 3.0 id bs an insurance claim and depending if your story is legit, you will have the up-side of this opportunity. when i had my 2.2 auto i hopped a curb and cracked my tranny. i made up a "legit" bs story to the police and the insurance company and they had agreed to fix it. since i was about to get my h22 and 5 speed conversion at the time, i figured that id ask my insurance company if they could give me a check for what a new auto tranny would cost, and i would go my own way in fixing it. they agreed to that, also and gave me a 3k+ check. basically i ended up 3k richer.

i know that sounds fucked up, but you gotta do what you gotta do. in the end, i "won" and "lost" at the same time because i got a few parts for my car, but since i bs'd my insurance company, i had been stuck with bullshit fuck ups with my car. and i suppose thats my karma from that situation..
Old 03-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer = SUCK

I seriously wish I had a manual, but a manual swap is way to much work and the car wouldn't be like it came stock with the manual, so I'm not into it that much.
not true at all. our cars are designed to have a manual in them so its quite easy to do. there are knock outs for the master cylinder on the firewall. there is also a place to attatch the resivoir. mine feels and looks just as good as a stock 5spd.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:01 PM

I heard it's just not the same from someone who's done it. Driven back to back with the same car that came manual. Doesn't have as much torque.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:11 AM

you'd probably be beter off swapping in a CLS engine with the MT ecu and using the MT from teh 7th gen accord, but then that might cause some problams also. Now that I think about it that might work too. I'm gonna look into that.

oh yeah, and if you go to the second gen forums here you might see a thread recenly by I think his name is 02AV6 and he's fot the dr evil tranny, swapped in all kinds of shit from the 3.2 CLS engine and has forged bisons, all kinds of shit, and he's probably putting down about 400 whp or so. maybe more.
I've been waiting to see a first gen CL with a 2nd gen CLS engine and tranny swap. That there would be SICK! This is part of my future plans.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:37 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
just a little to much IMO