door lock problem, need your guys help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002 | 04:27 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
door lock problem, need your guys help!

Whenever i try to open my drivers door it just locks itself. I can't even get in from the outside. Whenever I pull on the handle the car immediately locks. I have to get out the passenger door. Any thoughts guys? I was thinking maybe there is a short or something.
Old 08-25-2002 | 05:54 PM
Seminole Fan

I think I might know what the problem is:

But you need to find a way to get the door open to fix it.

Soemthing similar happened to me once. I couldn't opne the door from the inside, but I could the outside. Whenever I would pull on the handle on the inside the door would lock on me. I finally figured out that one of the screws holding the locking mechanism in place had come loose and was the cause. So, if you can figure out a way to get the door open check those screws.
Old 08-25-2002 | 06:03 PM
The Human Radar Detector

I just took my door panels off its a pain in the ass getting off and even more to get back on. Id save this one for the auto shop.
Old 08-25-2002 | 10:23 PM
i like chicken

unplug the computer underneath your passenger seat and plug it back in.
Old 08-25-2002 | 10:28 PM
StOHC Automatic Club

Originally posted by DirtyHarryFSU
I think I might know what the problem is:

But you need to find a way to get the door open to fix it.

Soemthing similar happened to me once. I couldn't opne the door from the inside, but I could the outside. Whenever I would pull on the handle on the inside the door would lock on me. I finally figured out that one of the screws holding the locking mechanism in place had come loose and was the cause. So, if you can figure out a way to get the door open check those screws.
The same exact thing happened to my 98. Im gonna go with that as well.
Old 08-26-2002 | 10:18 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by rmstoico
unplug the computer underneath your passenger seat and plug it back in.

the one that the heater is plug into?
Old 08-26-2002 | 10:18 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by jttoombs
I just took my door panels off its a pain in the ass getting off and even more to get back on. Id save this one for the auto shop.

how much a pain in the ass is it really? I'm fuckin broke and would rather do it myself.
Old 08-26-2002 | 10:29 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

I've had mine off 5 or 6 times so far.

It's helpful to have someone to give you a hand, but otherwise, I found it pretty easy. It's been a while, but there are several screws and clips that you need to remove, plus you'll need to disconnect the plugs for the power mirror, door locks, etc. Just pry up the switches, and disconnect the plugs. There may even be a thread explaining exactly what to do.
Old 08-26-2002 | 12:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by dustbuster4
I've had mine off 5 or 6 times so far.

It's helpful to have someone to give you a hand, but otherwise, I found it pretty easy. It's been a while, but there are several screws and clips that you need to remove, plus you'll need to disconnect the plugs for the power mirror, door locks, etc. Just pry up the switches, and disconnect the plugs. There may even be a thread explaining exactly what to do.

sounds pretty good and simple. All the wires are plug and play pretty much right?
Old 08-26-2002 | 12:51 PM
My Home Planet

I copied this from a previous post for removing the door panels.

"Start by taking the sail panel off (the little black piece oppisite the mirror that looks like a sail) it just pops off. Then take the handle off by removing the philips screw behind a little cover... then it slides forward to "unlock" from the door. The lock button and control rod can then be removed. There are screws in the arm rest/door pull under caps as well, theres one on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side... one of which is underneath the window switch. I'm pretty sure thats it for screws, then the panel just pops off (sometimes takes a little force) just get a couple fingers behind it tward the front of the panel and start pulling it off. Then it lifts up and off... all thats left to do is unplug the connections on the back, and the panel is off. On the driver side be careful when you pull it away from the door, because the wire for the security light is pretty short, and if you pull too hard the light assembly comes apart... "