Did my black housing headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 04:52 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Did my black housing headlight

I got an extra headlight from someone on H-A.net for $15 and ripped it apart and painted the housing black. It looks awesome but my scanner is broken but im going to try and borrow someones digital camera to post some pics. It was very easy to do but im not sure if i should paint the silver part on the plastic lens (the part next to the corner)black or leave it the silver color Any suggestions? Oh does anyone live in the Orlando or Ocala area that wants to take a pic or two and post them for me
Old 10-30-2001, 05:06 PM
I use a condom?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound cool man. i'd like to see some pics though.
Old 10-31-2001, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

hurry and get the pics up. I 've been waiting to dod this for the longest. I just cant find extra headlights anywhere for cheap. Anyways was it hard to rip out the headlight? did u have to use a blade? what did u reseal them with????
Old 10-31-2001, 12:30 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

It wasnt hard at all. I had the extra light so i just warmed it up in the oven for awhile and than spent the next hour carefully prying it apart with a putty knife and flat head screw driver (only one deep gash from the putty knife). Take your time, I was in a hurry at first and cracked alittle piece, no big deal but i slowed down and had no problems. Than I took two screws out to remove the silver part from the lens, popped the corner lens out, masked off the corner reflector, put three coats of primer on the housing, than two coats of high temp flat black. Let it dry over night, then heated up the lens again to make the glue sticky, screwed the black part pack in, put a bead of silicon in the lens, and put it back together. Than i put a bead around the whole lens (doesnt look great but you dont see it unless you open the hood) to make sure they dont fog. It isnt hard as long as you take your time. The hard part is going to be removing the bumper this weekend to get the lights out and do the housing on the drivers side light and then put them back in. Do you think the dealership would take them out for me if i told them they were fogging (which they are) and than i could reseal them and have them put them back on? Im sorry i dont have pics yet, im trying If you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 10-31-2001, 02:23 AM
A-CL CrAckHeAD

I'm in Orlando, if you want to get digital pic's of your install, let me know... maybe we can meet up this weekend (if I don't go to Slam Fest in Tampa)??:P
Old 10-31-2001, 09:51 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

thanks Im borrowing some kids digi cam on campus today so i should have pics up around 2. All i have is the one housing done (not installed), i plan to take the lights out this weekend and put the new housings in the car. It would be great if we could meet up some time though. where are you in o town? Im at UCF
Old 10-31-2001, 01:54 PM
speed freak

damn i wanted to do that too...just headlight housing is very expensive new.... 240 a headlight....
Old 11-01-2001, 12:04 AM
A-CL CrAckHeAD

I work @ Lockheed Martin (off Rouse & L. Underhill) But I live in Winter Park. Maybe we can meet up this weekend? I don't think I am going to Slam Fest so I should be in town. Lemme know, i would love to see your ride!
Old 11-01-2001, 06:30 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Originally posted by -=DjPharmacy=-
I work @ Lockheed Martin (off Rouse & L. Underhill) But I live in Winter Park. Maybe we can meet up this weekend? I don't think I am going to Slam Fest so I should be in town. Lemme know, i would love to see your ride!
I dont have much done to my car because im lacking money with this whole college thing and buy your own food but i would like to meet up still. Im not sure if i can though because my girlfriend wanted me to come see her.
I had a vague idea where winter park is (almost went to Rollins) I know there are a couple people around the area so maybe we can get some kind of meet together. I know everyones favorite mod , AutoxCLS lives around orlando.
Sorry i dont have the pics of the one housing yet, I met some girl and she ended up taking most of the day up but i should have them after class today
Old 11-01-2001, 09:36 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever you get pics please post them. Curious, what is slam fest and where do they have it at?
Old 11-01-2001, 11:45 PM
A-CL CrAckHeAD

maybe we can get some kind of meet together. I know everyones favorite mod , AutoxCLS lives around orlando
That would be cool... Just let me know when you get some time then

what is slam fest and where do they have it at?
Slam Fest is a yearly show that they have in Tampa at the Fairgrounds... It used to be here in Orlando like 4 years ago, but it got too big. A car club called Mini Madness used to run it, but I'm not too sure if they still do. Lowrider magazine and a few other mag's support it now too. They have hydro competitions and all kinds of different classes for competition. I didnt go to the last one, but everyone had a good time from what i heard. It goes on this Saturday and Sunday.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:01 PM
LA`s Top CL

i recently crashed my car so imma have brand new headlights to install into my car do u have ne suggestions on wat todo so it doesnt fog up because my body shop said if i mess it up its gonna cost me a hand full to buy new headlamps again.....
Old 11-16-2002, 01:50 PM
-iii-(

Get silicone sealant and use plenty of it and put it in C-clamps. Then test it by putting it in your bathroom, close the door, and turn the shower on hot for a few minutes, see if they fog up. Make sure you put something over the holes in back so you get an accurate portrayal of the seal.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:57 PM
AWD Torque Monster

do urself a favor and take the bumper off urself. its a whole 4 bolts all u got to do is unclip the fender liner and undercarriage liners and then take out both bumper lights. u will find the 4 bolts behind them. then the whole bumper just slides up and pull off!!!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 12:53 AM
-iii-(

i did it all myself, my bro helped me steady it while i put the bolts back in though so get someone to help ya with that.