Damn Honda dealers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Honda dealers

I mistakenly bought my CL from a honda dealer. I should have bought one from an Acura dealership nearby, but that is neither here nor there.

My brakes locked up a couple of weeks ago. The Honda men said it was the rear brakes getting too hot and just "sticking". I'm like, OHHH K. So they changed my rear brakes, first quoting 159, but forcing me to pay 280 ( that's with 80 knocked off, admission of guilt I say ). Today, they locked again, but I started to drive. I felt a bit of a drag, but thought maybe it was the road. I really didn't feel much drag, so I continued for a little while. I saw smoked coming out and what looked like flames. I went off the road into a ditch to let them cool. I was screaming obscenities so loud people on the highway could hear me, IN THEIR CARS. A cop comes over to help to give me a lift to a nearby mall to call a tow truck.

To make a long story short, I'm pissed. My drain plug is on the pan without a washer. It was last done at Pat Peck Honda in Gulfport MS. I had to replace all tires the after I bought it because they were dry rotted. They wanted me to pay to replace them at the dealer, so I bought them at sears ( big mistake ) The guy who sold me the car told me they'd check the brakes, but FORGOT to put it on the "we owe you".

Tomorrow I'm going to a local place I trust, hoping to get the drain plug off and inspect the rear brakes. Are there any ideas of how I should proceed with "kicking names and taking ass"? Should I be worried about the rear brakes? Should I demand they replace my rear brakes again and should I contact the BBB? I'm thinking about reporting pat peck honda to the BBB and then honda corporate and then take pat peck honda and maybe corporate to small claims court for the price of any subsequent work seeing as how it was a danger to obviously drive.

After my last service, they called to check up and I told them I'd never buy another car again from their shitty dealership. I'm just hoping someone has an idea to get me back on the road safely.

Also, my problem is the parking brake assembly. It somehow engaged without me engaging it. pat peck should have seen that was the problem. Is that fairly easy to fix myself, or should I have my local guy do it? Any help would be appreciated.

On a quasi related topic, has anyone ever drilled their own disks? I'm thinking of trying it on my rear brakes. I did a search, but nothing came up. I'm guessing it would subvert the disks integrity if I tried it...any idears?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Banned

before u go all wild on them, try the nice guy approach first.......and if that doesnt work...kick em squa' in the nuts
Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 PM
CL's need steroids

Call the Honda corporate Office. Corporate does not like hearing about unhappy customers at dealerships. Had a similar problem with my mom's Cadillac dealer who screwed up and didn't want to fix it for free. One call to corporate and the dealer called apologized picked the car up and gave her a loaner car. Its a privledge for these dealerships to do service and is where they make most of their money. Service has to be certified by the corporate offices and like I said when you have corporate offices hearing about small local idiot's ruining there corporate product reputattion ("Honda") they tend to get pissed. Try it ...you have nothing to loose. Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Racer

It sounds as though the cable from the hand brake to the rear brakes are tight. That can be adjusted faily easily by removing the center console (only the hand brake portion, no need for the shifter portion) and then the adjustment nut for the cable should be easily accessible for adjustment.

Hope this helps you and yeah you should do as the others have said call the Honda Corporate office.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:09 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
call the honda corporate office and also deal w/ sears. They should warranty those tires!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:10 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Re: Damn Honda dealers

Originally posted by phrocker

On a quasi related topic, has anyone ever drilled their own disks? I'm thinking of trying it on my rear brakes. I did a search, but nothing came up. I'm guessing it would subvert the disks integrity if I tried it...any idears?

do not even THINK about doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Racer

Here are the instructions from the Mitchell On-Demand Manual for adjusting the parking brake (rear brakes):

1. Raise and support rear of vehicle. Ensure rear brake caliper lever contacts brake caliper pin. Pull parking brake lever up one notch. Here is pic for your convenience...

2. Remove end panel from rear of parking brake lever cover. Tighten equalizer nut until rear wheels drag slightly when turned. (In your case it'll be loosening them) Release brake lever. Rear wheels should rotate freely. Rear wheels should lock when lever is pulled up with a force of 44lbs. applied to parking brake lever (about 7-11 clicks).
Old 08-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Racer

Holy crap, all of you are just awesome. Thank you so much.

I called the honda corporate who referred me to Acura to put in a complaint.

I'm going to check the cable. I was told by my mechanic that the calipers looked really rusted, so when I try to adjust the the parking brake, I might check them out and replace them...assuming I don't get anywhere with honda/acura corporate. Thanks again.