d98clturbo: swapping shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004 | 05:01 PM
roomate has a CL too

d98clturbo: swapping shifters

I'm currently in the middle of swapping the prelude shifter into the CL. I was able to get the shift assembly off of the CL and it is sitting in my kitchen... one thing i noticed that was different is that I'll need a bolt to connect the right shift cable to the shifter. The CL shifter has a welded on threaded tube/bolt sticking out, but the prelude one has a braket on each side... like a washer bolted to each side of the stick so the shift cable would go inbetween the "washers" and stick a bolt that I don't have through to hold it in place... where the CL had the threaded "knob" already there. Another thing... how did you manage to "special tool" hammer down the little tabs in the front and back of the shifter? I started doing it and have had little progress... I'm assuming you hammered them outward... so they folded up on themselves. And not inward towards to shifter.

yeah, thats about it for now... broke a clip off the panel underneath the steering wheel too booooooooooooooo.

k thanks for your advice and input.

EDIT:
Actually something like this... the pspec has the bolt already there.. im going to have to go get one, or someone has to drive me to the store haha. Well to save me the trouble if you already know what size bolt and what length did you get?

The pspec has the 2 washer like brackets attached to the sides of the shifter while the CL one has the threaded knob already there.

Old 02-15-2004 | 05:08 PM
roomate has a CL too

EDIT:
And this is a pic of the tabs... I jacked these from the pspec website if you didn't notice. benfing them forwards and backwards. both away from the shifter.

Old 02-15-2004 | 05:27 PM
roomate has a CL too

has anyone else done this mod besides d98clturbo?

was just wondering... I could be the second??? (on this board)
Old 02-15-2004 | 07:41 PM
roomate has a CL too

went to pep boys and autozone... no one carries the prelude shifter assembly bearings... so I was refered to some other place an auto supply store. I was able to shift great and everything I put the 8mm hex screw that I took out of the dash, I put in as a makeshift bolt and and just kinda held it when shifting. so the car is left a mess until tomorrow when the auto supply store opens. If they don't have them then I don't know who will... d98clturbo let me know when you check the board please
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:31 PM
Old Timer

sorry have been real busy..
1st thing...you want to hammer the tabs away from the shifter...the shifter cable actually bolts up to where the brackets are....you have to use the screw that comes with the lude shifter...if you cant find that nut & bolt i am pretty sure that you can use any nut & bolt that will fit..
let me know if you need more help...
good to see someone else doing the shifter swap
Old 02-16-2004 | 04:21 AM
roomate has a CL too

shit.... didn't come with the nut and bolt or the bearing...

thanks for responding... good to know that there is someone else that I can turn to for more knowledge and know how... a great find... come on... add this mod to the "must read for n00bs thread"
Old 02-16-2004 | 04:42 PM
roomate has a CL too

Ok.... so no fuckers carry this part... not even the dealer. I called them up and they want 6.99 for the bushing... WTF? it is a special order part. I think im going to have to come up with something makeshift or find something at da home depot.

anyway thanks to all that looked in here and read my ramblings about stupid shit...

NOTE: if anyone is going to do this make sure you have the bushing and the nut and bolt that goes with the shifter or ur going to have to custom fabricate something or special order it from the honda.

I'll post some pics of my dash apart and the shifter in later today.
Old 02-16-2004 | 07:49 PM
roomate has a CL too

Well I went to home depot and picked up a 5mm bolt and a nut for it and put it through the prelude washer type things... that will hold it but the shifter is loose. It still needs the bearing. but oh well. I'll order it at some later date at least it is drivable without having to hold a makeshift screw in place so I can shift.

bottom of dash out.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ju5...&.dnm=59f4.jpg

you can see that the little metal tab just in front of she shifter is hammered down... one problem I feel when shifting is that when im in second gear the e-brake gets in the way since the shifter is now lower. I'll have to get a new e-brake any one have any suggestions?

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ju5...&.dnm=5711.jpg
Old 02-16-2004 | 08:27 PM
roomate has a CL too

ummm fixed links.

pic 1

pic 2
Old 02-16-2004 | 10:19 PM
Pass the dutchie!

Originally posted by ju5tchi11in
ummm fixed links.

pic 1

pic 2
ahh what a familiar site
Old 02-17-2004 | 10:46 PM
TEAM BLUR So. CAL

Re: d98clturbo: swapping shifters

Originally posted by ju5tchi11in
I'm currently in the middle of swapping the prelude shifter into the CL. I was able to get the shift assembly off of the CL and it is sitting in my kitchen... one thing i noticed that was different is that I'll need a bolt to connect the right shift cable to the shifter. The CL shifter has a welded on threaded tube/bolt sticking out, but the prelude one has a braket on each side... like a washer bolted to each side of the stick so the shift cable would go inbetween the "washers" and stick a bolt that I don't have through to hold it in place... where the CL had the threaded "knob" already there. Another thing... how did you manage to "special tool" hammer down the little tabs in the front and back of the shifter? I started doing it and have had little progress... I'm assuming you hammered them outward... so they folded up on themselves. And not inward towards to shifter.

yeah, thats about it for now... broke a clip off the panel underneath the steering wheel too booooooooooooooo.

k thanks for your advice and input.

EDIT:
Actually something like this... the pspec has the bolt already there.. im going to have to go get one, or someone has to drive me to the store haha. Well to save me the trouble if you already know what size bolt and what length did you get?

The pspec has the 2 washer like brackets attached to the sides of the shifter while the CL one has the threaded knob already there.

when i install my pspec, i just used a hammer and a flathead to hammer off the tabs.
Old 02-17-2004 | 11:39 PM
roomate has a CL too

thanks I got it in and everything just no bearing.