CF hood post?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003 | 02:01 PM
Advanced

CF hood post?

Is it just my imagination or was there a long post a short while ago about a company building CF hoods for the first gen if they got about 10 people or so.

Reason I ask is cause I got into a little fender bender and my hood will most likely need replacing and I figure if insurance comes through, why not just order a CF hood for the CL.

Only problem is, I've searched every single forum and can't find that post but i'm almost certain i was reading it on acura-cl.com not too long ago.

Can anyone help out...much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2003 | 05:26 PM
10th Gear

yah. it was through BodyKitsNorthWest. I called them to see whats up and they still havent even started making them yet. The guy said sometime in the fall. You can always get one through Street Concept @714-265-4123. The name is Claira and she works for Aero Distrobution. It has a fiberglass underlayment and the holes are NOT pre-drilled. You choose wether its what you want or not, $380. not shipped.
Old 01-09-2003 | 02:26 AM
Burning Brakes

they had hoods on ebay a while back.

dcsquirm88 got one and has it on already.
Old 01-09-2003 | 07:37 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

ERIC M is 100% correct!
Old 01-09-2003 | 03:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by turbotk
they had hoods on ebay a while back.

dcsquirm88 got one and has it on already.
I remember seeing pics of a white first gen w/ a cf hood on here before...but that thing looked really bad with some nasty gaps showing.

If that's the same company, i'd rather just go OEM.

Thanks though.
Old 01-09-2003 | 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by EricM
yah. it was through BodyKitsNorthWest. I called them to see whats up and they still havent even started making them yet. The guy said sometime in the fall. You can always get one through Street Concept @714-265-4123. The name is Claira and she works for Aero Distrobution. It has a fiberglass underlayment and the holes are NOT pre-drilled. You choose wether its what you want or not, $380. not shipped.
Called them. The hoods are $290 plus shipping which is $120 for me.

But the guy himself doesn't know how much the hood weighs and says he makes them for looks not lighter weight. Says anyone who makes CF hoods has a fiberglass underlayment....is this true?

And as far as the holes not being pre-drilled, are you talking about the washer nozzle holes or some other holes that are related to fitment?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2003 | 05:47 PM
10th Gear

Talking about the holes that hold the hood on your car. They are not pre-drilled wich really sucks. A good quality hood would have the holes pre drilled with some sort of metal backstraping for support. Just think of it this way- Your going to put four bolts into some cheap fiberglass hood and that is whats going to hold it on your car. No metal bolt into fiberglass with no insert is going to hold very well. you might as well just place the $400 on your roof and drive down the highway at 100mph. Dont waste your money.
Old 01-09-2003 | 06:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by EricM
Talking about the holes that hold the hood on your car. They are not pre-drilled wich really sucks. A good quality hood would have the holes pre drilled with some sort of metal backstraping for support. Just think of it this way- Your going to put four bolts into some cheap fiberglass hood and that is whats going to hold it on your car. No metal bolt into fiberglass with no insert is going to hold very well. you might as well just place the $400 on your roof and drive down the highway at 100mph. Dont waste your money.
Thanks for you info...helps alot.

Well, I got a reply from Trix Motorsports in AZ.

They have one for the CL for $434 plus $100shipping.

There's though, is 100% CF w/ no fiberglass underlayment and also comes with pre-drilled holes. The only thing not included would be the hood pins because i can choose to install the hood at different parts and the pins cost an additional $30 usually. (Could I use my stock hood pins? do I have stock hood pins?)

So i'm looking at approx. $600 for everything, giving me a true CF hood that weighs about 50% less than OEM.

Any opinions? You think the guy would budge on the price?
Are any others interested...maybe we could get a cheaper price w/ a group buy.

Their contact information is:
(480)966-TRIX (8749)
http://www.trixracing.com
ebayracing@yahoo.com

if anyone is interested.

Thanks again
Old 01-09-2003 | 07:06 PM
10th Gear

That sounds a little better, although when I checked out the web site for a 1997 acura cl carbon fiber hood, I got a reply that no data was found for that entry? maybe they have them for the second gen or they just dont have the first gen listed on the site? I will try to give them a call. If it is legit, I would be interested in getting one. Anyone else?
Old 01-09-2003 | 08:25 PM
10th Gear

I just spoke with NICK from TRIX and he does have a hood for the CL, as long as it is a 2000 or newer! I dont know who you talked to but Nick is the phone sales mgr. I dont think that your first gen cl will look OK with a second gen hood on it. You can keep searching but beleive me, YOU WONT FIND ONE. Until a new company starts making them, your out of luck. Your only choice right now is the cheapo fiberglass junk that I spoke about earlier. Your better off fixin what you got