Car Alarm randomly go off

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001 | 04:04 PM
10th Gear

Car Alarm randomly go off

HELP!

I just bought a 97 CL 3.0. The Car alarm would go off randomly. Also the keyless trunk entry stopped working. Can anyone help?
Is there a way to reset the alarm? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2001 | 04:07 PM
Intermediate

no idea... but are you planning to mod your cl? just wondering cuz i am from austin also. So is another guy in this forum
Old 03-25-2001 | 04:13 PM
10th Gear

Hey,

Yea, after I worked out all these minor problems. I live in an Apt Complex, I am begining to wonder if any of the garage door opener freqs somehow triggers the "panic" mode of alarm. Its horrible, it randomly goes off, even when its not locked!

Speak of mods...
I probably want to start off with an intake. Would any of these mods void the extended warranty I purchased?
Old 03-27-2001 | 10:59 AM
Instructor

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME.
i have a 97 3.0 also.

What ever you do dont take it to the dealer they will charge you like 1,00,000,000,000,000.

I just opened up my trunk, found the wires leading up to the module.

on the left hand side there will be a black wire casing, cut it off(not the wires, just the casing). And then you have to cut one of the wires that lead to the module. (Its on the trunk part that goes up and down)

I made it so that my trunk still opens by remote, but the alarm doesn't work when its opened.

I am not sure which wire to cut. Try one at a time, and test it by getting in your car hitting the alarm lock button, (wait 15 secs for it to activate) and then open it manually from inside the car (pull the lever)

Not like the alarm will keep anyone out anyway.

------------------
1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium
Custom Mesh Grill, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, Tinted License Plate cover, Hyper White Headlights, Hyper White Side Markers, Hyper White Blinkers, Hyper White Parking Lights, 3A Racing Fog Lights, Clear Bumper Lenses, Indiglo Acura Emblem, Indiglo Gauges, 2 15" neon tubes, Neon License Plate Frame in the trunk.
All very small mods. NO engine NO sound
Old 03-27-2001 | 03:03 PM
Safety Car

It just might be that the alarm was set up wrong. Sometimes when you don't install it correctly, and too much power gets to the alarm unit, it triggers the alarm thinking that someone is trying to disarm it. Do you have any friends that work in electronic places or better yet car places that can take a look first. Or ask the person that you bought it from.

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 03-27-2001 | 08:28 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Guys,

I just droped the car at the dealer.. Luckliy I think its covered under the extended warranty I purchased. The service person told me its most likely a faulty actuator.

On top of this, I found the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear very rough, and coming down from 3rd to 2nd sometimes seems bad also. I am getting the dealer doing a transmission service as well. The shifting is just not smooth, the rental Dodge neon they gave me shifts better. Hopefully this will change after the service.

I guess this is what you go through when you buy a used car. But still the CL is an awesome car. I love the way how "small" it feels when you are driving it. The new CL feels more like a boat compared to the first gen.

Old 03-27-2001 | 09:01 PM
Advanced

Funny you guys mention this. I don't have a problem with it going off randomly but I do have a problem setting it. I can only set the alarm if I lock the doors and then unlock and walk away causing it to arm itself in 30 seconds. Says little about the alarm in the manual, only to switch from audible to silent.

------------------
~Jay
Old 03-30-2001 | 10:21 AM
Instructor

If you have the extended warrany and it covers this go for it.

If not do what i described about, it will work. It is usually the trunk actuator.

------------------
1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium
Custom Mesh Grill, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Windows, Tinted License Plate cover, Hyper White Headlights, Hyper White Side Markers, Hyper White Blinkers, Hyper White Parking Lights, 3A Racing Fog Lights, Clear Bumper Lenses, Indiglo Acura Emblem, Indiglo Gauges, 2 15" neon tubes, Neon License Plate Frame in the trunk.
All very small mods. NO engine NO sound
Old 03-30-2001 | 09:10 PM
10th Gear

You are exactly right, not only was the trunk actuator bad, the driver side actuator was bad also. The dealer didn't catch the trunk one the first time so I have to go in again next week. It good thing I bought the extended warranty for it!