Can't let it go.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't let it go.

Hey all, haven't really been around too much lately.

Been almost EXACTLY 2 years I've had the CL. It's came a long way since I first got it. I haven't done anything to the car over the last few months, mainly due to the fact I was going to sell it, and upgrade to a 5 speed IS300.

The Day I Got The CL:

How She Currently Sits:

Having a change of heart now though and am going to do something with the transmission. It hasn't been acting up or nothing, but at 158K miles now, it worries me that something could happen any day. I'm thinking it's about that time get down to business on getting all the research done for the 3.2 CL Type-S 6 speed tranny swap we've talked about on these forums so many times. A friend of mine I went to High School with and am very good friends with recently opened up a shop, and will charge me unbelievably low hourly rates for any mechanical work. I visit his shop almost on the regular and am fairly confident we can make some magic happen.

I've definitely got to do my research first, and gain a little more knowledge/problems that come with it, along with troubleshooting around them.

Over the last week though, I've dropped the front another .75"-1" or so from the picture above, going to drop the rear like .5" more if I can, and having the front fenders rolled on Thursday due to rubbing issues. I'll post pics once It's all said and done.

Everyone on this forum has been so helpful and I wanna say thanks for bearing with me through my growth of knowledge in the passion I have for cars now. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have the drive to continue with the project. Thanks again fellas.

I'm here to stay...for now and hopefully I can get a build thread going on that holy grail of a transmission swap.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

At the same time though, a part of me really wants an IS. Lol. Loved those cars for years now and the platform is so much more customizable than the CL. DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

I'd hate to contradict myself in telling myself I'd keep this car for a LONG while though and the transmission work would definitely be a pain, but worth it as well.

I hate my situation -.-
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I say go for the tranny swap, it'll be way more rewarding to drive the CL after you've done something custom like that and are one of the first to do it than to drive a regular IS IMO.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your car is amazing, keep it and save money for a house :-)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyanite
At the same time though, a part of me really wants an IS. Lol. Loved those cars for years now and the platform is so much more customizable than the CL. DECISIONS, DECISIONS!

I'd hate to contradict myself in telling myself I'd keep this car for a LONG while though and the transmission work would definitely be a pain, but worth it as well.

I hate my situation -.-
You can't write all that about doing a swap, then write this. You need to make up your mind one way or the other.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

It's too hard Chris! Slap me with a fish.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
:troutslap
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
lol
Old 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i'm a fan of the IS, but i think i like your car more. i say keep it, stay unique.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
I went from my 5 speed CL to an accord to a 3 series to an IS3..back to a CL until i recently sold that too..don't make the same mistake I did. cause you're gonna want it back after you sell it and if you find another after; it just wont be the same.. CL's are so rare;unique to hook up and have a whole different style than any other car around I feel. the IS300 is nice,definitely smaller even though it's a 4 door(trust me). then again it IS a sports sedan.The 5 speed trannys on them are Amaazing;torque curve is really "wow" , definitely an awesome car to play with, Drive by wire kinda bothered me, I feel like you lose connection with the car itself.they sound effing sick!! I had an AEM intake with an HKS HI-Power, sexy I-6 growling. They have a LOT of aftermarket engine parts and some body parts..extensive information on them on my.is..BUT however; at the end of the day..it's no CL..

My advice? Keep the CL;and if you must; save for the IS..
as for right now..go wash your car.wax it up.and admire..
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
LOL; you know what the funniest part is? I never wanted a CL.. when i was looking for cars at 16 I was looking for Ej civics, and 5th gen accords..literally; stumbled upon a CL on craigslist with "keywords: honda accord" in it.. and i was like damn its kinda ugly;but i could do somethin with it.. The 3 series was nice;but a lot of problems. IS i also stumbled upon but i missed my CL by this time so much i couldnt think of anything else.. i had sold my baby and the guy i sold it to crashed it not even a month later; i told him i'd buy it back and fix it. he said no that he would and not to worry.weeks later i found it at an auction..SOLD..*sigh* i still look for it on craigslist and on salvage sites..hoping just hoping i'll see a listing "rebuilt CL; just needs a little more TLC to be ready..." sorry guys just reminiscing

Last edited by Project_CLean; 09-02-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_CLean
I went from my 5 speed CL to an accord to a 3 series to an IS3..back to a CL until i recently sold that too..don't make the same mistake I did. cause you're gonna want it back after you sell it and if you find another after; it just wont be the same.. CL's are so rare;unique to hook up and have a whole different style than any other car around I feel. the IS300 is nice,definitely smaller even though it's a 4 door(trust me). then again it IS a sports sedan.The 5 speed trannys on them are Amaazing;torque curve is really "wow" , definitely an awesome car to play with, Drive by wire kinda bothered me, I feel like you lose connection with the car itself.they sound effing sick!! I had an AEM intake with an HKS HI-Power, sexy I-6 growling. They have a LOT of aftermarket engine parts and some body parts..extensive information on them on my.is..BUT however; at the end of the day..it's no CL..

My advice? Keep the CL;and if you must; save for the IS..
as for right now..go wash your car.wax it up.and admire..
You sold the black one?! damn, it was clean. I'd have kept it for sure.

OP, keep the CL and do a 6 speed swap. It will be much more gratifying to have a custom car than switch to a new car. I remember I was tired of my 2nd 2.3CL being slow and was gonna sell it for coincidentally a red 5speed is300. I decided to do a swap instead and it completely changed the dynamics of the car and I was absolutely positive I had made the right choice. Not to mention I raced an is300 after my swap and he had no chance whatsoever lol.

Even with my daily driver e36 M3, its a great car, very fun and handles well and has infinite possibility of mods (both faster and handles better than an is300), but there is just something the CL has that it doesn't which is why I simply maintain the M3 and continue my plans for the CL. PLUS yours is SO clean, a 6 speed swap would just push it over the top!