can't figure it out...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:48 PM
05 STi White/Gold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't figure it out...?

everytime i switch gears and press or release the clutch, something rattles under the hood. it sounds like it is coming from the right-hand side of the car... sounds like something is loose, or just rattling. i thought it was my resonator, but i don't have one anymore (intake). was going to take it to acura for diagnostics, but they charge 70 bucks an hours. yikes. has this happened to anyone? any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:07 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Sounds like the throw out bearing.

If thats what it is, you have to pull the tranny to replace it.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

mine kind of goes "tump" when i release the clutch like if you took a soda bottle and filled half way and then moved the water from top to bottom, is that the bearing?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Yea mine has done that for years (since we bought it new i think), especially when its cold. It almost sounds like my grill or something is rattling.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
Advanced

i get that sometimes too.
when shifting.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:35 PM
05 STi White/Gold

Originally posted by 1StGenCL
Yea mine has done that for years (since we bought it new i think), especially when its cold. It almost sounds like my grill or something is rattling.
yup, it's only happened recently within the past few months... i guess coz. it's getting colder. anyone know what it is and how to fix it???
Old 12-02-2002, 04:55 AM
Instructor

My CL had a defect with the clutch pressure plate. A spring was loose, and everytime I would release the clutch it made a high pitched squeeking noise. At first, the Acura dealership replaced the throw-out bearing, but it happened again. That was almost a year ago when my car had 28,000 miles on it. I don't know if that helps, but just a heads up.

FYI: Acura had to replace the whole clutch assembly for free, because it was a manufacturer defect with the part.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have ya'll check if the all motor mounts are still good? Cuz now that it's cold the rubber probably gotten harder.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:11 AM
I scuffed my Puma

Re: can't figure it out...?

Originally posted by jamolie
everytime i switch gears and press or release the clutch, something rattles under the hood. it sounds like it is coming from the right-hand side of the car... sounds like something is loose, or just rattling. i thought it was my resonator, but i don't have one anymore (intake). was going to take it to acura for diagnostics, but they charge 70 bucks an hours. yikes. has this happened to anyone? any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Right hand side of the car eh.....well, i had a nice little rattle form after installing an AEM CAI on my 2.3 CL. I found it to be that the pipe leading through to the filter is knocking against the hole pass-through where the stock resonator once was. What i did was purchase some dynamat (quick fix right before an 1100 mile trip) and wrap the pipe to reduce the rattle.....i hated to do it cuz it ruined the aesthetics of the blue CAI pipe. What you could do, if this is the same problem, is purchase some high temp dynamat and place it on the edges of the hole around where the pipe leads through....haha -this sounds like it could be taken 2 ways
You can purchase Extremeliner from www.dynamat.com
Old 12-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

I had the same problem and after 6 hours and around 4 Acura techs, they figured it out. In the front of the car there is a metal beam that goes from side to side and is attached to the frame. Attached to that beam is the front motor mount. On each side of the beam there are 3 bolts that hold it in place, but somehow all of them were loose, which would cause the engine to actually move around either when I jerked the car with the throttle or changed gears. Once they tightened them, it fixed the problem. With all the diagnosis and labor it ended up costing me only $120, even though they were working on it almost all day to find the problem.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:05 PM
05 STi White/Gold

Originally posted by AtlCl
I had the same problem and after 6 hours and around 4 Acura techs, they figured it out. In the front of the car there is a metal beam that goes from side to side and is attached to the frame. Attached to that beam is the front motor mount. On each side of the beam there are 3 bolts that hold it in place, but somehow all of them were loose, which would cause the engine to actually move around either when I jerked the car with the throttle or changed gears. Once they tightened them, it fixed the problem. With all the diagnosis and labor it ended up costing me only $120, even though they were working on it almost all day to find the problem.
That sounds most like the problem that i am having. I tried looking at it myself, but it would only make the sound when i was driving, while pressing or releasing the clutch. Where exactly are the 3 bolts? are they on the right side of the car? would i be able to tighten them myself, or would i need a mechanic? is there anything to remove first? thanks!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

There are 3 bolts on each side of the car. Find a picture of the front motor mount and it is the beam that the mount is attached to, then follow that beam to each side and find the bolts. But, fi you can't, the labor on this was like half an hour so it wouldn't be expensive since you know what the problem is. Most of my cost was for diagnosis. Not really sure if you could do it yourself, but take a look around. It sounds like the exact same thing as I had and it drove me nuts, sounded like something would smack when I either shifted or jerked the car forward.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well just hope its just the bolt being loose. Check if the motor mount bushing still good. These thing happen a lot of standar car, cuz of the harsh shifting. Very little chance that it is loose but if it is, then you can do it yourself.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: can't figure it out...?

Originally posted by CLBizno
Right hand side of the car eh.....well, i had a nice little rattle form after installing an AEM CAI on my 2.3 CL. I found it to be that the pipe leading through to the filter is knocking against the hole pass-through where the stock resonator once was. What i did was purchase some dynamat (quick fix right before an 1100 mile trip) and wrap the pipe to reduce the rattle.....i hated to do it cuz it ruined the aesthetics of the blue CAI pipe. What you could do, if this is the same problem, is purchase some high temp dynamat and place it on the edges of the hole around where the pipe leads through....haha -this sounds like it could be taken 2 ways
You can purchase Extremeliner from www.dynamat.com
or you could just ajust the mount and move the pipe a 1/2 inch