Buying a acura CL, need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a acura CL, need feedback

Hello, I am new here and was in the market for a new car. I currently have a 1992 lexus es300 with 135,000 miles. I want a new acura CL, because I have heard so much good things about them, but I had some questions maybe someone could help me out with.

What the main diffrences between the years? I see some CL's on ebay with cloth seats, and I noticed that all the CL's come with mechnical odometers. I am just wondering why that is?

Also, whats the diffrence between the years? Is a 97 CL 3.0 the same as a 99 CL 3.0? Also, how is the ride on these cars after lets say, 70,000 miles? Do they still cruise over bumps, or do you feel the road alot? My first car was a 1900 accord EX, and after a while, the ride was horrible, although the car ran. Some people claim the CL is nothing more then an accord with acura on it, and I was wondering if these cars really still feel like a good ride after the car has some miles on it, or will it feel like an accord with the same miles of the same year?

Thanks, Erick
Old 10-20-2003, 04:09 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

I'll tell you what I know kind of in reverse of how you asked. There are a lot of high mileage Cls on here but the automatic trannys dont hold up really well. The 2.3 manual is good, there is no 3.0 manual. Yes its basically an enhanced accord but a lot of luxury cars are base model vehicles spruced up and sold as a luxury version. It would be too costly not to share platforms. I have a 2.3 with 40k, and the ride is still fine. Most people on here have a drop so they wouldnt have a basis for judgemnt on how stock suspension held up. The 3.0 didnt really change too much over the three years of first gen Cls. I believe only the 97 2.2s came with any cloth seat option. I dont think digital odometers were all that popular when the 1st gens were made, the only thing the mechanical lacks is multiple trip meters. I think its nicer to look at anyway.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by xrunner86x
I'll tell you what I know kind of in reverse of how you asked. There are a lot of high mileage Cls on here but the automatic trannys dont hold up really well. The 2.3 manual is good, there is no 3.0 manual. Yes its basically an enhanced accord but a lot of luxury cars are base model vehicles spruced up and sold as a luxury version. It would be too costly not to share platforms. I have a 2.3 with 40k, and the ride is still fine. Most people on here have a drop so they wouldnt have a basis for judgemnt on how stock suspension held up. The 3.0 didnt really change too much over the three years of first gen Cls. I believe only the 97 2.2s came with any cloth seat option. I dont think digital odometers were all that popular when the 1st gens were made, the only thing the mechanical lacks is multiple trip meters. I think its nicer to look at anyway.
hello, and thank you for your reply.

I dont know much about cars, I know many in here are car guru's, so please dont make fun of my ignornace.

I see many say the 2.3 is to slow, so I think I want to go with the 3.0

Whats the main diffrences between the 97-99 3.0 CL? Are their any recalls on the 97? Should I look to spend the extra on a 99 because it will be more reliable then the 97? I figured maybe since 97 was first year, it might have had problems and in 99 was fixed, but I dont know.

Basically, 97 3.0's are cheaper then 98's and 99's, but if they are the same exact car, I might has well get the 97 3.0, because it wont cost as much. But I dont want to get a 97 only to find out the hard way, I should have gotten a 98 or 99, because of some wierd thing, or feature that the 98 or 99 have that I will want later.

Thanks, e
Old 10-20-2003, 04:43 PM
HOOK EM HORNS

2.3 stick is probably the best choice, go with a 98 or 99
u can get them for cheap with the same features (excluding heated seats) etc..
Old 10-20-2003, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by HyDrOpOnIkToKa
2.3 stick is probably the best choice, go with a 98 or 99
u can get them for cheap with the same features (excluding heated seats) etc..
well I forgot to mention, i dont drive stick, nor would I like it. I just want a nice looking car, that rides smooth over bumps, and have the most features out of the Cl series for 97-99. What I really dont want is losing a feature because I choose the wrong year.

I see people selling premium Cl's. What are these? Do they have more features and options?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Cause stock sux.

leather, heated seats, home link, bose stereo system, etc etc
Old 10-20-2003, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Got Rice?
leather, heated seats, home link, bose stereo system, etc etc
ok, so ho do these things ride over bumy roads?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:03 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by Erick1
ok, so ho do these things ride over bumy roads?
its fine, i would go test drive one before you get your mind set on one thing
Old 10-20-2003, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Python2121
its fine, i would go test drive one before you get your mind set on one thing

well, I have a 1992 lexus es300, which is a so so condition. But it drives pretty smooth still. Even though its just a camry from toyota, I think it would drive better then a camary of the same year. But at least it drives great still I and just want it because it has high miles.

Will this car at lets say 100,000 miles, still drive good? Even if the outside was chipped and scrached, would it at least drive good.

Does it drive, in most peoples opinion, drive and feel like a luxury car after it has some miles on it?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Advanced

I have 97 3.0 cl it rides really good over bumps especially in Ny. I'm selling my car becasue insurance is a bit high for me. If you want you can come down and take a look and even test drive it. I'm asking for 9k for the car it has 47k miles on it if you interested let me know i give you my number and we see.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by pony11372
I'm selling my car becasue insurance is a bit high for me.

hmm, that could be a nightmare .

just how much do you pay incurance?

Like I said, I am not really into cars, I am into producing music and my studio. I just want a nice, reliable car, thats going to be smooth, but if the bloodsuckers are going to rape me, I dont want most my cash going to some company, I want it towards other things.

Hows insurance on this thing? If your selling it because its high, that sucks, because I hate putting money into my car, other then gas, and other regular check ups. Its the CL is a nice car. I like it, was ahead of its time if you ask me.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:34 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of this may have been mentioned above, but I'm too lazy to read it! :P

1997 CLs are a "bastard year". However, it doesn't make them any less reliable. The 1997 CLs interior has some subtle differences than the 1998/99 models. The horn button location is different, there are no audio controls on the '97, and the console is different (mainly button location differences and shifter plate design). The '97 doesn't have the "home link" control (basically garage door opener and home lighting remote) up near the mirror/interior lights. The interior colors for '97 were charcoal and quartz. For the 1998-99 models it was parchment and charcoal.

When the 1998/99 models came out, Acura used the newly design 1998 Accord as the base for the interior. This is why the 1997 has some differences.

On the exterior, the 1997 model does not have it's front and rear lips plus side skirts painted. On the 1998/99 models, these are all painted body color. Also the wheel designs are different (not only between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder models) but for each year.

The 1997 4 cylinder model is a 2.2CL, and the 1998/99 is a 2.3CL. You can get either a 4-speed auto or a 5-speed stick. The 3.0 only came with a 4-speed auto for all years.

The suspension for all models is based on the 1994-97 Accord. However, there is a major difference in the 1997 brakes compared to the 1998-99 models. The 1997 CLs use a "hub over rotor design". The 1998-99 models use a rotor over hub design introduced with the "new" 1998 Accord. The 1997 front brakes are a BITCH to change or are more expensive to have replaced as compared to the 1998-99 models. The 3.0 front brakes are larger than the 2.2/2.3 of all years. The rear brakes on all year CL models are the same.

The grille on the '97 model is different than the 1998-99 models. Personally I think it looks better!

Exterior colors are different depending on the year, with some colors available on all three years. The color of my '97 CL is called Cypress Green Pearl and is a '97 only color. I think you'll find this with other colors.

All 1999 models were considered "Premium" models w/leather. But there are differences between the 2.3 and 3.0 models. Mainly, the 3.0 added extras that the 2.3 didn't. With the 3.0 you got 8-way heated drivers seat and a non-powered (but heated) passenger seat, 6-speaker Bose sound system, and a Driver's Seat Map Pocket!

1997 and 1998 had "standard" models as well as "Premium" models. "Standard" models came with cloth interior and "Premium" models came with leather interior. You got heated power mirrors with all 3.0s, but not with the 2.2/2.3.

Here's a link of the various '97 differences: http://autopedia.com/Acura/97_CL.html

My personal feedback: The tranny on my '97 3.0 has 110K miles on it and runs great. This also includes running nitrous for the 25K miles or so (18 months)! I've read about a number of trannys that have failed, but they are not the majority.

I have no frome of reference for the ride quality. I've had my CL dropped since about 65K miles, and have been running on aftermarket springs, struts, and wheels/tires.

I love my CL!

EDIT: The 1997 3.0 engine is designated J30A1 with a separate Engine Control Module (ECM) and a Transmission Control Module (TCM). The 1998-99 3.0 (the same as the 1998 Accord V6) is designated J30A2 with a combined Engine and Transmission Module called the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Old 10-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Cause stock sux.

My family has an SC400...Comparatively, toyota trannies are alot smoother. Its liek night and day.

I hardly consider the CL a "smooth" ride. But then again, mine's not exactly stock.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by dustbuster4

1997 CLs are a "bastard year". However, it doesn't make them any less reliable. The 1997 CLs interior has some subtle differences than the 1998/99 models. The horn button location is different, there are no audio controls on the '97, and the console is different (mainly button location differences and shifter plate design). The '97 doesn't have the "home link" control (basically garage door opener and home lighting remote) up near the mirror/interior lights. The interior colors for '97 were charcoal and quartz. For the 1998-99 models it was parchment and charcoal.

When the 1998/99 models came out, Acura used the newly design 1998 Accord as the base for the interior. This is why the 1997 has some differences.

On the exterior, the 1997 model does not have it's front and rear lips plus side skirts painted. On the 1998/99 models, these are all painted body color. Also the wheel designs are different (not only between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder models) but for each year.

The 1997 4 cylinder model is a 2.2CL, and the 1998/99 is a 2.3CL. You can get either a 4-speed auto or a 5-speed stick. The 3.0 only came with a 4-speed auto for all years.

The suspension for all models is based on the 1994-97 Accord. However, there is a major difference in the 1997 brakes compared to the 1998-99 models. The 1997 CLs use a "hub over rotor design". The 1998-99 models use a rotor over hub design introduced with the "new" 1998 Accord. The 1997 front brakes are a BITCH to change or are more expensive to have replaced as compared to the 1998-99 models. The 3.0 front brakes are larger than the 2.2/2.3 of all years. The rear brakes on all year CL models are the same.

The grille on the '97 model is different than the 1998-99 models. Personally I think it looks better!

Exterior colors are different depending on the year, with some colors available on all three years. The color of my '97 CL is called Cypress Green Pearl and is a '97 only color. I think you'll find this with other colors.

All 1999 models were considered "Premium" models w/leather. But there are differences between the 2.3 and 3.0 models. Mainly, the 3.0 added extras that the 2.3 didn't. With the 3.0 you got 8-way heated drivers seat and a non-powered (but heated) passenger seat, 6-speaker Bose sound system, and a Driver's Seat Map Pocket!

1997 and 1998 had "standard" models as well as "Premium" models. "Standard" models came with cloth interior and "Premium" models came with leather interior. You got heated power mirrors with all 3.0s, but not with the 2.2/2.3.

Here's a link of the various '97 differences: http://autopedia.com/Acura/97_CL.html

My personal feedback: The tranny on my '97 3.0 has 110K miles on it and runs great. This also includes running nitrous for the 25K miles or so (18 months)! I've read about a number of trannys that have failed, but they are not the majority.

I have no frome of reference for the ride quality. I've had my CL dropped since about 65K miles, and have been running on aftermarket springs, struts, and wheels/tires.

I love my CL!

EDIT: The 1997 3.0 engine is designated J30A1 with a separate Engine Control Module (ECM) and a Transmission Control Module (TCM). The 1998-99 3.0 (the same as the 1998 Accord V6) is designated J30A2 with a combined Engine and Transmission Module called the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

well I must say, you sure know your stuff. Thanks for all the feedback. Just wondering, how does this car ride after 100K miles? Does it feel like an acura or an accord. I know its kind of a stupid question, but if it uses mostly accord parts, I would hope it would drive smoother then an accord, because its a high end car. Thanks for all the help and the informative post. I think I will get the 99 3.0.

Also, I saw in searching the forum they said that stock Cl shocks wear out fast. Is this true and how fast is fast? Are there shocks and springs or what ever makes the car drive smooth that I can place on my CL to make it smoother?
Old 10-21-2003, 02:39 PM
its paid for

my mom has a 1997 2.2 CL auto with 148k on it. It rides as smooth as my 2.2 CL 5spd with 85k on it. She has had no major problems with the car, the tranny is till original and does not show any signs of failing (knock on wood). The time I have driven it it rides wonderful. Its a Honda they are just getting warmed up at 100k miles!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:23 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by uiskibum
Its a Honda they are just getting warmed up at 100k miles!
How come these cars last so long? Also, is it that easy to change the engine on this car? I see people changing engines. Me, I would be to terrified to do such a thing, but thats just because I have no idea about cars and would be scared it wouldnt be the same. Well as long as its a smooth ride, and its good on gas, Ill get it. Thanks for all the help.

PS : one thing I did realize while researching is that most people say the this car is one of the most reliable they have owned.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

the only reason people change engines is to make it go faster...you don't seem too concerned about that
Old 10-22-2003, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear

Having just bought a '99 3.0CL in May, I can say that it's a very solid car - I've put 10K on it since I bought it, and just had one non-regular maitenance issue.

(Of course, that was an alternator, but you never know when those are going to die. It's the only Honda part I've had screw up in four of their products.)

It's a smooth ride, although the tranny is a bit harsh in certain situations.

Honda/Acuras), like Toyota/Lexus, basically last forever if you take care of them. I plan on driving this car for a long time, as I love it - confortable, smooth, and powerful. (Although not as powerful as the 2nd gen.)

Mike
Old 10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Love my 99 3.0 CL, no complains.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dustbuster4

I love my CL!

im with you on this Rick, I love my CL 2!!!!

i would have bought nothing else, but the trannys have their problems but i have not had that problem yet but i wish to those that have im sorry, im still on my first

i would go test drive one first, once i drove my CL and i sat in it i knew it was the car for me, but i would recommend that you go sit in one and try it out first

im a big guy and the CL is the right fit for me