Bumper Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper Fix

Just a quick question, someone backed into my car and scratched up the left side of bumper not that bad but bad enough that I need to get it fixed(painted I think).
I wish I knew who did it so I could have them pay.

I was just wondering if any body knows how much a repair like that would cost in canada and if they could sand or remove the scratches..they are not to deep?

Thanks.

Black 1997 2.2CL
18" rims
eibach prokit
illegal tinted windows..so dark sometimes I can't see out them.....
Old 02-16-2005, 10:04 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure how the insurance handles things in Canada, but if you have full coverage, then you could say it was vandalism. Or you could try wet sanding. Dont push to hard, and make sure to use enough water. You are just going to take a small layer of paint off, then polish it. That is if the scratch is no to bad.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 PM
'07 November = STI

100 bucks or less at a asian bodyshop

maybe! if u buy all the guyz lunch, they'll do it for free

ask them
Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 PM
~ The Endless One ~

i paid $150 CDN to have my mudflaps, side and front/back trim painted to match. They touched up some bumper dings I had too

it woulda been an even $200 to paint and install a WW lip but unfortunately I didn't get one yet at that time...

they charge alot to mix the paint so its better to go if you have something else you want painted (ie. lip, trim, oem spoiler, etc.)
Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
B A N N E D

same shit happend to me yesterday, but they left a CRACK !!! about 2 inches long above my license holder I have no clue on what to do about it. Its not realy that bad but the fact that i know something isnt perfect on my car makes me freak out. New bumper, bondo (flexible kind ) how much is paint ?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

if the bumper is damaged, i think it's about $400, but if you just need it painted, i'd say about $150. is it beyond touch up paint?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Racer

Shallow scratches will come out with (in order of increasing severity)

- wax
- rubbing compound
- 1000 sandpaper
- 600 sandpaper

There are various products that will get rid of 1000 and higher scratches including the rubbing compound itself.

If the above don't work you might have to use a putty.. acrylic or urethane or polyester paints don't have much of a filling property.. the colour may match but you'll still see the non-level surface once you're done painting the scratch.

I ended up repainting the whole bumper with base/clear after sanding it due to a peeling clear problem.. I had rented a booth for $55/hr but I used to be in the paint business, most people would not be so adventurous. I was quoted $600 for a body shop to do the same thing, problem is it's a lot of labour hours to sand it down. I would never make a claim for this stuff taking into account the $500 deductible I would have had to pay. New rear bumper cover is $495 at the Acura dealers.

Originally Posted by PeaLowsh
Just a quick question, someone backed into my car and scratched up the left side of bumper not that bad but bad enough that I need to get it fixed(painted I think).
I wish I knew who did it so I could have them pay.

I was just wondering if any body knows how much a repair like that would cost in canada and if they could sand or remove the scratches..they are not to deep?

Thanks.

Black 1997 2.2CL
18" rims
eibach prokit
illegal tinted windows..so dark sometimes I can't see out them.....
Old 02-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Racer

Enquire about a plastic welding procedure.. my front bumper is cracked from top to bottom and I was told it's beyond repair but it might work for your 2 in. crack.

Only snag is I think they have to take it off.. last time I took my rear bumper off I broke $60 worth of fasteners in the process, they're flimsy.

I was quoted $100 for a pint of basecoat and a quart of clear, with activators for both which is middle of the time paint, not the one component touch up stuff

Originally Posted by ayougo
same shit happend to me yesterday, but they left a CRACK !!! about 2 inches long above my license holder I have no clue on what to do about it. Its not realy that bad but the fact that i know something isnt perfect on my car makes me freak out. New bumper, bondo (flexible kind ) how much is paint ?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Instructor

i hate people who just back up into peoples cars and just leave...there was this one time i was in my car waiting for my friend in a parking lot.....i think i was on the phone or doing somthin, next thing i feel the car move??!! i was like WTF!?!? the person who was trying to park in front of me hit me....and the person was about to leave and find another parking spot, but i honked my horn at them and got outta the car and yelled at them....thank goodness they only hit the license plate cover, but still, i told em off. that pissed me off so much.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chiny-J
i hate people who just back up into peoples cars and just leave...there was this one time i was in my car waiting for my friend in a parking lot.....i think i was on the phone or doing somthin, next thing i feel the car move??!! i was like WTF!?!? the person who was trying to park in front of me hit me....and the person was about to leave and find another parking spot, but i honked my horn at them and got outta the car and yelled at them....thank goodness they only hit the license plate cover, but still, i told em off. that pissed me off so much.
that's exactly the problem. people will try and get into a spot that's far too small for their car, just to save a buck at the parking lot. same thing happened to me, some guy dented my hood, i think they had a bike rack. that was a huge parking spot in front of me too.