Is Blue Tint Headlight illegal

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is Blue Tint Headlight illegal

Does anyone know is blue tint headlight illegal. n also did anyone got any ticket for it
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
yes it's illegal
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
For Life

i rock dark black tint on my headlights with 10k hid's in FLORIDA no problem. you need to check local laws, but blue headlights will attract pigs like a dunking donuts truck.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
i rock dark black tint on my headlights with 10k hid's in FLORIDA no problem. you need to check local laws, but blue headlights will attract pigs like a dunking donuts truck.
I watched a cop turn around on a 4 lane road to help a doughnut truck... then the really funny thing is, at the next light, I saw another one turning toward that direction...

but yeah, blue lights do get a lot of attention. I had a cop stare at mine (10000k HID's) with raised eyebrows the other day... i was actually a little worried...
Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Yes.

White/Amber = Only legal lights for the front of our cars.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Racer

speaking of cops... my CL actually managed to get me out of a ticket today. that and the stupid cop was on the other side of a divider and tried to find an opening in it. i laughed at my rear view and then put it to the floor.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
check your local laws to be sure, in my city only white headlights are legal.
My buddy got ticketed last year, and his lights aren't even that blue, maybe 6-8k.
But they ticketed him for a whole shitload of stuff, so that might have been one they just added on, and not pulled him over for it
Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Emran247
Does anyone know is blue tint headlight illegal. n also did anyone got any ticket for it
just do it! if u get pulled over take the stuff and bring it to court and the judge will thro it out maybe , the stuff is cheap as hell
Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Emran247
i just noticed your in VA like me
so yes its very illigal here
46.2-1011. (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1011) Headlights on motor vehicles.

Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, road roller, road machinery, or tractor used on a highway shall be equipped with at least two headlights as approved by the Superintendent, at the front of and on opposite sides of the motor vehicle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
§ 46.2-1031. (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1031) Requirements as to single-beam head lights.

Approved single-beam head lights shall be aimed in accordance with regulations promulgated by the Superintendent so as not to project a glaring or dazzling light to persons approaching such head lights and shall be of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and objects at a distance of at least 200 feet.
§ 46.2-1032. (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1032) Requirements as to multiple-beam headlights.

Approved multiple-beam headlights shall be aimed in accordance with regulations promulgated by the Superintendent, based on recommendations of the Society of Automotive Engineers. The high beam of any such lights shall be of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and objects at least 350 feet ahead. At least one nonglaring low beam shall be provided and shall be of such intensity as to reveal persons and objects at least 100 feet ahead.
19VAC30-70-140. (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...19VAC30-70-140) Headlamps; except motorcycles.

A. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Any motor vehicle is not equipped with headlamps of an approved type. The approval designation letter that must appear is DOT or SAE-H, HG, HH or HR.

2. Headlights are not of the same approved type except sealed beam headlamps. At least two headlamps are required.

3. In any headlamp the lens is cracked, broken, discolored, or rotated away from the proper position, or the reflector is not clean and bright.

4. Moisture or water buildup in headlamp is such that it affects the aimable pattern.

5. Lens is other than clear.

6. Bulbs are not of an approved type (must have DOT stamp and the manufacturer's name) or are over 32 candlepower. (Sealed beam lamps including the ones which permit the use of a replacement halogen bulb are the only lamps approved with over 32 candlepower.) Ordinary lenses and reflectors were not designed for over 32 candlepower bulbs.

NOTE: The Sylvania 9003 (HB2), 9004 (HB1), 9005 (HB3) and 9006 (HB4) Cool Blue xenon bulbs were found to comply with FMVSS 108. There is a noticeable blue tint around the outside of the lamp pattern but the concentrated light is white. Only the Sylvania has approval and is marked with DOT.

7. Any filament or bulb in headlamps fails to burn properly or headlamps are not at the same location or configuration as designed by manufacturer. (Location and type of headlamps can be found in subsection F of this section.)

8. Wiring is dangling or connections are loose; or if proper filaments do not burn at different switch positions; or if switches, including foot or hand dimmer, do not function properly and are not convenient to the driver.

9. Foreign material is placed on or in front of the headlamp lens or interferes with the beam from the lamp. No glazing may be placed over or in front of the headlamps unless it is a part of an approved headlamp assembly.

a. Reject if vehicle has wire, unapproved plastic covers, any other materials that are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of the headlamps.

b. Vehicles registered as street rods may have clear, rigid plastic or glass headlamp lens covers in front of sealed beam units to replace original manufacturer's equipment.

c. EXCEPTION: A clean impact film known as Headlight Savers produced by Grand Prix Motoring Accessories may be applied to the headlight lens to absorb impact of rocks, etc.

10. Lamps can be moved easily by hand due to a broken fender or loose support, or if a good ground is not made by the mounting.

11. A headlamp visor is over two inches long unless part of the original body design.

12. The high beam indicator in the driver's compartment does not burn when the high or "country" beam is on or does not go off when the low beam is on. (Vehicles not originally equipped with an indicator are not required to comply unless sealed beam headlamps have been installed.)

B. Aiming the headlamps.

1. Headlamps shall be checked for proper aim by using either an optical or a mechanical headlamp aimer on every motor vehicle inspected, except vehicles with on-board aimers.

Headlamp aim on vehicles with on-board aimers shall be checked by visually examining the leveling device mounted either on or adjacent to the headlamp. Reject the vehicle if the leveling device shows the headlamp adjustment to exceed indicated specifications.

NOTE: Driving lamp and fog lamps must be aimed using the optical aimer, according to instructions in 19VAC30-70-160 I 10 i and 11 g (2).

2. Headlamps are not aimed within the following tolerances using the optical aimer.

a. The center of the hot spot of all single element high beam lamps is set more than four inches up or down from the horizontal centerline or more than four inches to the left or right from the vertical centerline.

b. The left edge of the lamp pattern of any low beam lamp or any combination or multi-element lamp is more than four inches to the left or right of the vertical centerline or the top edge of the lamp pattern is more than four inches above or below the horizontal centerline when checked on low beam.

C. Optical aimer.

1. Approved optical headlamp machines may be used to properly aim any of the headlamps. Optical aimers must be properly calibrated and used in the manner recommended by the manufacturer.

The optical headlamp machine must be aligned to the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.

2. When aiming headlamps, first look for the type of lamp, which will be found embossed on the lens. The type determines which aiming requirements must be followed for the optical aimer.

3. All low beam or combination/multi-element headlamps must be set by aiming the lamp pattern with the lamps set on low beam.

4. Pattern should be aimed so that the left edge does not extend to the left or right of straight ahead, and the top of the pattern should be even with the horizontal.

Pattern "A" represents the light pattern as it should appear on the view screen of the approved aimer.

For Headlamps; except motorcycles, see Virginia Administrative Code print product.

5. All single element high beam headlamps shall be set by aiming the center of the hot spot with the lamps set on high beam.

6. Aim straight ahead-center of the hot spot should be centered with the vertical and horizontal centerlines.

Pattern "B" represents the light pattern as it should appear on the view screen of the approved aimers.

For Headlamps; except motorcycles, see Virginia Administrative Code print product.

7. When lamp pairs are mounted horizontally, the low beam lamp must be on the outer side and when mounted vertically, the low beam lamp must be at the higher position in the pair.

8. The four headlamp system must be wired so that only the lower beam lamp will burn when the light beams are depressed. When switched to high beams, both high beam and low beam may burn.

The "F" type halogen headlamp 1986 (LF-UF) of the four headlamp system will function in the following manner: system must be used so the low beam does not burn with the high beam.

D. Mechanical aimers.

1. Mechanical aimers can be used to aim only those headlamps that have "aiming" pads molded into the lens.

2. Mechanical aimers must be properly calibrated and used with the proper adapter recommended by the manufacturer. (The adapter setting will be embossed on the face of some lamps.)

3. Turn on headlamps and check all filaments-both high and low beam. Turn off headlamps before checking for adjustments. Do not turn on headlamps while mechanical aimers are attached to the headlamp.

4. All headlamps that are found not to be within the four-inch tolerance shall be adjusted to zero inches up or down and zero inches to the right or left.

E. Headlamps on vehicles used for snow removal. Approved auxiliary headlamps may be mounted above the conventional headlamps. (These lamps must be in compliance with this section in its entirety, subdivision 7 of 19VAC30-70-150, and subdivision 1 of 19VAC30-70-170.)

F. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Lamps are not approved type headlamps (DOT or SAE-H or HH).

2. Lamps are not mounted in a manner that will permit proper aiming.

3. Lamps are mounted so as to obstruct the driver's vision.

4. The auxiliary headlamp circuit does not contain a switch that will deactivate the primary headlamp system when the auxiliary headlamps are in use.

5. Auxiliary headlamps are not aimed in accordance with the provisions of subdivision B 2 of this section.

6. Headlamps are not wired in accordance with the provisions of subdivision C 8 of this section.

NOTE: Always inspect the following sealed beam and replaceable bulb, and integral beam headlamps on LOW BEAM only;

—5-3/4 inch, marked 2, 2C, or 2C1

—7 inch, marked 2, 2D, or 2D1

—100 X 165mm rectangular, marked 2A, 2A1, or 2E1, 2G1 or 2H1

—200 X 142mm rectangular, marked 2B or 2B1

—Replaceable bulb headlamp, marked LF with 9004 (HB1)

—92 X 160mm rectangular, marked LF

—Replaceable bulb headlamps with 9006 (HB4) alone or in combination with 9005 (HB3)

—55 X 135mm rectangular, marked L

—Integral beam headlamp when high and low beam reflectors move together

GOOGLE is cool also HID is illigal here
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
anything other than clear/amber is illegal. You can get away with black tint, but everything else is a lot harder to.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
^
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure if the OP is talking about an actual tint on the headlight or not because there are several stock cars that now come with the inside of the headlight housing tinted blue...the new ingsight
or the camry hybrid
Old 03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure he means outer lense.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just look at dainfammus1's car and imagine the yellow part blue
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro

its kinda weird because each department is diffrent, down where i live the cops never give speeding tickets,tint tickets, or any high output light tickets. why? because it hasnt created a problem so far in the city with about 100 k population. in fact i have been pulled over several times for 20 + and they just check on you and let you go. maybe the city is rich idk.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fairfax cops suck also, Its not worth it.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Euro925
just look at dainfammus1's car and imagine the yellow part blue
yeah thats what i was thinking, and its illegal and another reason for cops to hassle you lol. I just really dont wanna take them off haha.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Pro

dude whats fuked up is that these tinted headlights never have caused the death of any one!!! rather somoethign like texting or lack of attention kills tens of people ,i call BS on the law
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
yeah thats what i was thinking, and its illegal and another reason for cops to hassle you lol. I just really dont wanna take them off haha.
how many times do you get pulled over by the cops for your yellow lights?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YL Al
dude whats fuked up is that these tinted headlights never have caused the death of any one!!! rather somoethign like texting or lack of attention kills tens of people ,i call BS on the law
Who are you, and who taught you to talk like that? Public education did you no favors.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

dude i got pulled over twice in the past 2 weeks in 2 different cars by the same cop lmao

no ticket but i would really have licked to give him a good knock to his suckhole.

I probably would just buy an HID kit
Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Drifting

^whatd he pull you over for?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Burning Brakes

the first time its because i went straigh in a right turn only lane even tho noone was around me and it was a 4 lane road ahead so it made no difference he said him and the other cop siad i was going 55 i asked if he clocked me at that and he gave me the we are trained to estimate your speed speech. I was going 40 lmao. aNd the second time was for not signaling when turning left into taco bell without properly signaling into the turn lane( i hurried because a line of traffic was coming.)
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

wtf are you talking about? tinting lights does lessen the light output
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

how many times do you get pulled over by the cops for your yellow lights?
3 times now. Newb-ass State College cop tried to get me on some other shit in PA saying its illegal, but my car passed inspection in NY and he has no jurisdiction over it so it got thrown out in court. Doofy lookin' fuck felt stupid as shit as my lawyer shitted on him.

Cop: "It states in PA law # blah blah blah that headlights must be white or amber blah blah blah.."
Lawyer: "Do you know the NY state statutes? Are you authorized to regulate NY laws?
Cop:"No,but in Pennsylvania..."
Lawyer:"U mean if a car is passing through the state of PA it must adhere to its laws?"
Cop: "Yes, it is my belief they should"
Lawyer: "I think not, i believe the law states that they must adhere to the laws their car is registered in, therefore if the headlights were the reason for your stopping him, you UNLAWFULLY stopped him being that his car is registered and inspected in NY LEGALLY, thus you were wrong"
Cop: "But...in PA..."

CASE CLOSED, COP OWNED....i swear, it was beautiful LOL. Especially since the cop wouldn't plea bargain w/me and wanted a full sentence.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
3 times now. Newb-ass State College cop tried to get me on some other shit in PA saying its illegal, but my car passed inspection in NY and he has no jurisdiction over it so it got thrown out in court. Doofy lookin' fuck felt stupid as shit as my lawyer shitted on him.

Cop: "It states in PA law # blah blah blah that headlights must be white or amber blah blah blah.."
Lawyer: "Do you know the NY state statutes? Are you authorized to regulate NY laws?
Cop:"No,but in Pennsylvania..."
Lawyer:"U mean if a car is passing through the state of PA it must adhere to its laws?"
Cop: "Yes, it is my belief they should"
Lawyer: "I think not, i believe the law states that they must adhere to the laws their car is registered in, therefore if the headlights were the reason for your stopping him, you UNLAWFULLY stopped him being that his car is registered and inspected in NY LEGALLY, thus you were wrong"
Cop: "But...in PA..."

CASE CLOSED, COP OWNED....i swear, it was beautiful LOL. Especially since the cop wouldn't plea bargain w/me and wanted a full sentence.
Wish I coulda been there to see it sounds like a beautiful thing. I've been thinking of tinting my turn sigs and tail lights, but not lookin for a reason to get a ticket.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

those are fine to tint, its the headlights that become an issue
Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

OP if you have HIDS you shouldnt need to tint them
8000K is wayyy blue enough.

anymore and it will look fake and stupid
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
wtf are you talking about? tinting lights does lessen the light output
accidents due to low light ouput are very rare. rather distractions fatigue weather causes most accidents
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

accidents due to low light ouput are very rare.
Tell that to all the dead dear around
Old 03-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Pro

lol install those thingys on ur hood that make the noise to scare away the deer
Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Drifting

use your horns?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
wat.

sounds rice.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Pro

no its not rice they're little devices that make a unique pitch sound to scare away deer, they look like the two caps that are on a cars hoods that go over the squirter thingy for the windshield washer..

u can put them in the front grill or something ,if u feel its necessary.
im not sure how effective they're though they sale around 10 bux
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

no its not rice they're little devices that make a unique pitch sound to scare away deer, they look like the two caps that are on a cars hoods that go over the squirter thingy for the windshield washer..

Sounds even riceyer! lol!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Drifting

blow off valve?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

blow off valve?
Sounds like thats what he's discribing. Except I don't think BOVs were made to scare deer or look like 2 caps on the hood like windsheild squirter thingys.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

You should have seen the face on this dear (not headlight related) when I came rollin around a bend and put my truck sideways with the ABS motor thumpin tryin not to plow through this dear in the road, thought it was gonna shit itself
Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL

You should have seen the face on this dear (not headlight related) when I came rollin around a bend and put my truck sideways with the ABS motor thumpin tryin not to plow through this dear in the road, thought it was gonna shit itself
i drive a tractor tailor for a living and when i see deer in the road i cant/wont even tap my breaks its better to hit the deer then lock up my rig and be either in a ditch or have hit some family head on and kill them. i use the same train of thought when in my personal car because if you hit a car or go into a ditch you have to pay a deductible on your insurance where as you hit the deer and mess up your car you dont have to pay and nobody is dead.

so in my book deer always lose
Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Drifting

or you could slow down and honk at the deer. then you dont hit anything.

Quick Reply: Is Blue Tint Headlight illegal