bending suspension component (alternative to camber kit)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004 | 09:39 PM
Advanced

bending suspension component (alternative to camber kit)

I went to a shop today to get an alignment today (front tires had thread showing on the inside) and the dude that did the alignment said that i will need a camber kit. My car was dropped with neuspeed sport springs (2.5). He gave me an alternative of bending an arm to allow for the proper alignment. He said tht he would do it for $90 and i wouldn't need to get a camber kit. He says that he has done it to many hondas and acuras and it works fine. He said that i need to hurry up and either get the camber kit or bend it. After speaking to a friend i decided i'd go for it so i'm headed there tomorrow. I tried to research this online but didn't know how to search for it, didn't really come up with anything. If anyone has any expreience with this i would appreciate a response.
Old 05-12-2004 | 10:01 PM
My Home Planet

Is he bending the lower control arm?

If so, it's not reversable (at least not completely) and you may get a lot of vibration while driving, among other things like your braking might be affected. I wouldn't bend anything.
Old 05-12-2004 | 10:29 PM
Safety Car

no bending is revercable. get the damn camber kit, and dont have to worry bout getting new shit if u go back to stock or dropit more
Old 05-12-2004 | 11:13 PM
Old Timer

i actually did that to my 5th gen accord a while back the car actually drove a whole lot better...the down side is if you raise the car back up you will have negative camber unles you get another set of control arms...braking will NOT be affected...
i would say do it..i got the ingalls camber kit and that bitch is giving me nothing but trouble because it moves the a-arm to close to the frame of the car and as a result i either have to cut the frame of my car (under the wheel well) or not utalize the camber kit....basically i think i wasted my money
Old 05-12-2004 | 11:13 PM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Clpower has done it. I would ask him for details. For what it's worth, I would get the camber kit-and I'm a cheapass.
Old 05-13-2004 | 08:12 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the responses, i heard some horror stories about camber kits so i was thinkin this might be better as i have no plans of raising the car back up
Old 05-13-2004 | 12:25 PM
Big Block DOHC Type-R

Arent the adjustable balljoints supposidly a little bit better? I dont think they push the control arm out.
Old 05-13-2004 | 02:24 PM
AWD Torque Monster

DON't bend them. why pay $90 for that. pay $140 for an adj camber kit. the eibach ones are nice. i havent installed them yet though. what happens when u need to adj your camber again if u switch rims or go back to stock when u sell the car.
Old 05-13-2004 | 02:48 PM
Advanced

well i just did it, the ride is fine no vibration, the camber was perfect, braking is fine. i don't plan on changing rims or raising the car (why would i want to?). i figured that i would go this route because of my needs and the problems i've heard of with camber kits, if i thought it was worth it i wouldn't ming spending an extra hundred for a camber kit, thanks for the advise
Old 05-14-2004 | 10:53 AM
Fawkin Gruvin

i want to see wich bar was bent?? maybe i will do it?, my tires are getting eatin on the inside of the tread. need to do something. and i have no plans on raising the car back up and i dont have stock rims so...
Old 05-14-2004 | 11:26 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
I did the same thing. My problem was I was off like 3+ degrees and there wasn't a camber kit at the time that could of helped me. My ride is perfectly smooth, etc.

And when I raise the car up I just have to go have them bend it back.

When I first did it about 4 years ago my camber was perfect, now my springs ont he driver side have settled a little more and i'm off about .3 degrees on that side. NO big deal though.
Old 05-14-2004 | 11:31 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally posted by d98clturbo
i actually did that to my 5th gen accord a while back the car actually drove a whole lot better...the down side is if you raise the car back up you will have negative camber unles you get another set of control arms...braking will NOT be affected...
i would say do it..i got the ingalls camber kit and that bitch is giving me nothing but trouble because it moves the a-arm to close to the frame of the car and as a result i either have to cut the frame of my car (under the wheel well) or not utalize the camber kit....basically i think i wasted my money

another reason I didn't get a camber kit. The ball joints are a good way to go, but i'm not sure how many degrees of adjustment they have.
Old 05-14-2004 | 02:04 PM
Advanced

some pics from a few mths ago, looks pretty much the same, will replace those 55 series tires with 45 when they wear out

Click me