Anyone Familiar With Tennesse/Kentucky Area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Azine's only Punk PFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Familiar With Tennesse/Kentucky Area?

Hey everyone, its my first time back veiwing Acurazine in a while, (and it looks diffrent!) I just returned from my basic training in Ft. Leonardwood for the Army, and Im headed to Ft. Campbell Kentucky next.

I was wondering if there's anyone from Azine who knows the area around the base(SW KY, NW TN) or if they have any info on it? (maybe prior service)
Let me know if you do, I'm making the 16 hour trip from PA in two days starting on the 2nd and I wondered how the roads are etc. I imagine it should be alot like where Im from, being part of the Appalachian Mountains and all.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Instructor

I am from Knoxville, Tennessee. The roads here suck; they have I-40 through town completely shutdown for construction for the next year. So everyone traveling interstate has to take the 640 bypass, and it clogs up pretty heavy. If your coming from Pa though you wont be coming through here, unless its just for fun. Where you from?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Azine's only Punk PFC

York Pa, it's smack dead on the center of the mason dixon line. It's half-way between Philly and Pittsburg, and half-way between Harrisburg and Balitmore.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Congrats on completing Basic, Ft. Campbell is one of the bases that we support at my job. Not a bad area to be stationed
Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Azine's only Punk PFC

You wouldn't happen to know anything about the state laws in Kentucky would you? Things like window tint, if Kentucky requires all sorts of emmisions tests, ect? What do you do in your job, do you travel to KY ever?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bigT
I am from Knoxville, Tennessee. The roads here suck; they have I-40 through town completely shutdown for construction for the next year. So everyone traveling interstate has to take the 640 bypass, and it clogs up pretty heavy. If your coming from Pa though you wont be coming through here, unless its just for fun. Where you from?
I disagree completely with you 100% BIGT...the road construction in TN sucks, but the roads overall in TN are some of the best roads in the country..hands down. Downtown Knoxville is just a headache, even before they shut it down

I just graduated and moved from Knoxville to New Jersey outside of NYC, and ask ANYONE and the roads here are the worst i have EVER seen...i have been here 8 months and my car already needs an alignment from all of the potholes...

As far as the area man I grew up and lived all of TN my entire life and I miss the hell out of it...you cant beat the south...not sure of where you are driving but if you are going I40 through the state just dont speed in the cities (Knoxville, Crossville, Cookville (worst speedtrap ever), Nashville, and Memphis) Besides that you can pretty much drive however you want...i would drive about 100 going from Nashville to Knoxville without a problem and just slow down when you go through the towns i mentioned and i never once i got a ticket...and i did this for 4.5 years

good luck bro
Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Andy2.3
You wouldn't happen to know anything about the state laws in Kentucky would you? Things like window tint, if Kentucky requires all sorts of emmisions tests, ect? What do you do in your job, do you travel to KY ever?
I've driven through Kentucky before on highways, but I have never had to stay there for my job, I've been to Ft. Monmouth and Ft. Hood.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with jorts tn has some great roads. mostly due to the mountains, all the curves and hills. this is pretty far from knox but in east tn theres a place called deals gap. its a deadly place for bikes but fun as hell in a car with a well setup suspension.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Instructor

I wasnt exactly talking about potholes and such, I was referring to traffic. However the damn country back roads are shitty, I spend half my time riding the double line when I can get away with it.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Not much in advice from me, but gratz on completing basic
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
kentucky tint laws
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/KY/
Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Intermediate

Window tint is dependant on county/city. No emissions tests in entire state.

Uturns are allowed unless posted

and don't mess with state troopers.

Originally Posted by Andy2.3
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Azine's only Punk PFC

Thanks alot guys!

The drive down was a uneventful but fun one. Lots of nice secenery on the way down, and I stoped at Bowling Green KY(where all the corvettes are made) I took over 90 pictures there, and I only stoped at that becuase my camera battery died! I fairly biased about corvettes, but walking the factory tour and seeing the musem was a pretty fun thing to do. I highly recomend it!

Within my FIRST SIX hours on base though, I was pulled over for speeding. :shameonme: An MP clocked me going 37 in a 25 mph zone. Since things were brand spanking new and dark out, I got lost and didn't notice I turned onto a road that the speed limit wasn't 35. HOWEVER, the following day, on a quick 15 minute brake from the literally hours of briefings, I recive a call from a higher up (probably SFC) MP saying that the PV2 who pulled me over wrote the ticket wrong and I was off the hook, so long as I promise to not screw up again. Of course he wasn't so nice about it....

I'm watching my speeds much closer now though, because there are only like three roads on base that are 40mph. Everything else is about 25. Outside of base though everysingle car flys over the speed limit, because the following day I had to drive off base for somthing, and I was watching my speed exactly, and I was going exactly 55mph, but every other car (NO BULL AT ALL) was zipping past at over 65. Even the old ladies in their caddys!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Instructor

You do realize that once your off base speed limits dont apply to you. Your military ID is a get out of jail free card, or at least a Marine Military ID is. (Marines > Army btw)
Old 09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gregyz
You do realize that once your off base speed limits dont apply to you. Your military ID is a get out of jail free card, or at least a Marine Military ID is. (Marines > Army btw)
I wouldnt count on that...all it takes is one asshole cop
Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Yeah, the ID isn't gonna stop them from giving you a ticket
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Azine's only Punk PFC

That's not true. I have a buddy who got screwed over by a cop, and his ID didn't help him one bit.

If you're a Marine, Im surprised you know what the "greater than" symbol means!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JORTS
I disagree completely with you 100% BIGT...the road construction in TN sucks, but the roads overall in TN are some of the best roads in the country..hands down. Downtown Knoxville is just a headache, even before they shut it down

I just graduated and moved from Knoxville to New Jersey outside of NYC, and ask ANYONE and the roads here are the worst i have EVER seen...i have been here 8 months and my car already needs an alignment from all of the potholes...

As far as the area man I grew up and lived all of TN my entire life and I miss the hell out of it...you cant beat the south...not sure of where you are driving but if you are going I40 through the state just dont speed in the cities (Knoxville, Crossville, Cookville (worst speedtrap ever), Nashville, and Memphis) Besides that you can pretty much drive however you want...i would drive about 100 going from Nashville to Knoxville without a problem and just slow down when you go through the towns i mentioned and i never once i got a ticket...and i did this for 4.5 years

good luck bro

wow jersey city. im sorry man. how did you manage to find yourself up here. most be try and move out. lol

roads are horrible tho. even worse in newark IMO.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 972xghost
wow jersey city. im sorry man. how did you manage to find yourself up here. most be try and move out. lol

roads are horrible tho. even worse in newark IMO.
well if you take a look at the pay difference from TN compared to jerzzy you would understand..plus i only live in jersey city...i work in west patterson which is much nicer(i catch the reverse commute) and i am in NYC mostly on the weekends so it works out pretty well
Old 09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
yea i suppose. our part of jersey is great. reasonably close to the shore even closer to the city.