Advice on 98 2.3 CL Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 10:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 98 2.3 CL Mod's

I just purchased a 98 2.3 CL (premium) last week. I love the car!!! It is soooooooo much better than my 88 Sentra. Anyway I have about 300 dollars that i want to spend on the car. I am having a vey hard time finding aftermarket parts for this car, and would like some suggestions on what i should buy with my 300 dollars. (intake, cold air intake, pulleys, spoiler, spings). Does this car have the same engine as a 98 Accord, if so can i look up parts for the accord and install them on my CL. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Welcome, In my signature are my mods. Our cars are mostly the same as an 94-97 Accord. Intake, header, cam gear...ect. I think the brakes are the only difference and they are 98 Accord. I would by an intake first, but they are kinda a waste without exhaust. So save up a little more and get exhaust also. With most of the mods you can get some quickness, but they are still a little sluggish.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Saving $$$ for something

Optionsautosalon.com has the H&R spring kit for $149.00
it is a 1.75 inch drop in the front, and a 1.5 inch drop, the remainder of your money can go towards a set of new headlamps, and wedge bulbs.

-thats what I would probably do
Old 04-30-2002, 01:52 AM
AWD Torque Monster

the 97-99 cl is based on the 94-97 accord. so 99% of the parts u will need will be from that car. some parts like rotors and pads for example are the same in the 98 accord
Old 04-30-2002, 04:14 AM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Heres some ideas.

My home page

Go with an AEM cold air intake. Dont skimp and go short ram or off brand.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:01 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

If you have a manual, get a B&M short shift adaptor for $60, an AEM CAI for 100-200 on ebay or new, clear corners for $40 and some bulbs. Will make driving much more fun.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:14 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Bdog
I would by an intake first, but they are kinda a waste without exhaust. So save up a little more and get exhaust also.
Why is an intake a waste without exhaust? The silencer on the stock airbox is so restrictive that by removing that alone you'll get a noticeable increase in power. The CAI is the best first mod in my opinion and it fits his budget nicely. 10 hp for $200 with the CAI instead of 2-3 hp for $500 with a cat back exhaust.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:45 AM
AkA 'Lucky'

I say window tint!

BLACK it out

:P
Old 04-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Not Registered

Originally posted by 99CL2.3
Why is an intake a waste without exhaust? The silencer on the stock airbox is so restrictive that by removing that alone you'll get a noticeable increase in power. The CAI is the best first mod in my opinion and it fits his budget nicely. 10 hp for $200 with the CAI instead of 2-3 hp for $500 with a cat back exhaust.
Some of the other guys here know more about this than me, but two things need to happen to get more power, get air into the engine and get it out as fast as possible. The exhaust diameter and muffler on a stock car is more restricting than your intake. Intakes sound good and your cars computer is only going to let so much air through the throttle body if it can only let a so much out the end of the car because of to much back pressure. My car just got a louder, but I didn't notice a difference until the exhaust was added. To be the most effective you need both.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:02 AM
Racer

Some of the other guys here know more about this than me, but two things need to happen to get more power, get air into the engine and get it out as fast as possible. The exhaust diameter and muffler on a stock car is more restricting than your intake. Intakes sound good and your cars computer is only going to let so much air through the throttle body if it can only let a so much out the end of the car because of to much back pressure. My car just got a louder, but I didn't notice a difference until the exhaust was added. To be the most effective you need both.
You're right and wrong. Of course you need more air and fuel to increase the A/F mixture being burned. Of course having intake AND exhaust is more effective. However, the stock exhaust system is far less restrictive than the stock intake. If you'll read my original post, you'll see where I point out the silencer. That is the single most restrictive part of the entire process. The stock exhaust has an actual header as well as 2 1/4" piping out to the muffler. Back pressure is not even an issue here. These motors don't make any power above ~6500 rpms which is where relieving back pressure helps to make more power. In fact, if you take out too much back pressure, you'll have absolutely no power until you're over 4,000 which makes your effective power band spread about 2,000 rpms which sucks.

I'm not trying to diss you, just trying to lead this guy in the right direction. BTW, how does your magnaflow sound? I was thinking about getting the one with tips slightly larger than stock.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Not Registered

Originally posted by 99CL2.3

I'm not trying to diss you, just trying to lead this guy in the right direction. BTW, how does your magnaflow sound? I was thinking about getting the one with tips slightly larger than stock.
Yea thats cool, I like to here everyones thoughts and opionions. I originally put on my intake, didn't really notice anything, then a week later exhaust, then noticed a big difference. A couple months after that put on my header and was still getting gains that were apparent. So then I adjusted my cam gear 4 deg. retard and noticed my car is alot faster than it was stock. Runs up to 6 grand in no time.

Anyway, I quess actually my first thing I bought for my car was an intake, but now that I think about it, I would buy springs and lower my car first for $300 if I started over.

Almost forgot to answer this one. I like the sound of my Magnaflow alot, it has a pretty deep sound. My friend has a Greddy on his Civic and says he likes my sound better and my whole system was $250 dollars cheaper.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I recommend that you get clears and an AEM CAI....thats what I did to my car first and I love it...the clears make the car look so much better and the CAI has a great sound that you will love..I got my cold air intake for $190 and my clears for $35ish...got my intake at www.autocarparts.com and my clears at www.procarparts.com ...dustbuster please post him the link for the clears...i gotta remember that link dust

CL'S
Old 04-30-2002, 01:12 PM
Racer

Yea thats cool, I like to here everyones thoughts and opionions. I originally put on my intake, didn't really notice anything, then a week later exhaust, then noticed a big difference. A couple months after that put on my header and was still getting gains that were apparent. So then I adjusted my cam gear 4 deg. retard and noticed my car is alot faster than it was stock. Runs up to 6 grand in no time.
Excellent post. You think maybe because you got the short ram that the difference isn't as noticeable as a CAI? With regards to the cam gear, I think niejdb retarded 4 degrees also and his dyno runs showed that was the best for hp.

To to original poster of this thread: Now that you know what is available and that the 94-97 Accord parts are the ones you are looking for, it is your decision as to what you want to do. Do you want show or go? We've all been there before, trying to decide how to spend our hard earned money.