About to order Rotora's & Hawk HPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to order Rotora's & Hawk HPS

Hey guys, after going to the track today, my brake pulsation is getting more and more obvious. I need to order front rotors/pads ASAP (read: tomorrow / Monday morning), and some of you have indicated that I should stay away from Brembo rotors and stick with Rotora. Appearently, because the Rotora's are less prone to warping. Most of you agreed that I cannot go wrong with Hawk HPS pads, given the fact that I want to upgrade my braking power without brake noise).

If there are any reasons NOT to buy Rotora rotors, please post, and indicate why!

Also, does Rotora make more than 1 kind of rotor for our car, and if so, which one should I order?

Thx.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Do we know why these other rotors warped? I run Brembo on all my cars and I've never warped them. Infact my Jetta had stock brakes for 98k miles, same rotors and pads.. no change.

Alot of times what I've noticed is that people get crazy brakes with their rotors and pads and dont install them properly. Physically they put them together ok but they dont set (bed) them in properly.

When you install the better pads you have to first drive your car up to 30mph and stop firmly down to 5mph, get it up to 40 and again firmly back down to 5, up to 50 and down and so on. Each manufacturer has different speeds and braking patterns but they normally all do. When you do this properly the pads are shaped to the rotors/ vice versa inturn making the brakes run properly.

Again the numbers vary greatly depending on mfg but this gives you an idea:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

If your rotors are warping too excessively look at other things like venting to them, the weight of the wheels (maybe cut down on rotational mass) and braking habits ofcourse. Then again though it could be do to the pads. I know EBC Greenstuff and Redstuff have been known to eat and warp rotors if you're not careful with them.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:15 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the issue w/the brembo's is that folks dont either:

a) install them properly

or

b) if they do install them properly, dont break them in correctly

usually its probably a mix of the two.. otherwise, unless brembo's quality is just piss poor, there shouldn't really be an issue.

-Alex
Old 05-15-2005, 08:03 PM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
Hey guys, after going to the track today, my brake pulsation is getting more and more obvious. I need to order front rotors/pads ASAP (read: tomorrow / Monday morning), and some of you have indicated that I should stay away from Brembo rotors and stick with Rotora. Appearently, because the Rotora's are less prone to warping. Most of you agreed that I cannot go wrong with Hawk HPS pads, given the fact that I want to upgrade my braking power without brake noise).

If there are any reasons NOT to buy Rotora rotors, please post, and indicate why!

Also, does Rotora make more than 1 kind of rotor for our car, and if so, which one should I order?

Thx.
i heard that any company other then brembo is crap.. but thats my 2 cents..

and uh.. did u purposely post this in the first gen section? just wondering.. hehe

just remember! if u do get the rotors.. u need to drive like a grandma for about 500 miles.. haha.. no hard breaking.. let it break in
Old 05-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by legendaryCL98
and uh.. did u purposely post this in the first gen section? just wondering.. hehe

just remember! if u do get the rotors.. u need to drive like a grandma for about 500 miles.. haha.. no hard breaking.. let it break in

Oh man I'm an idiot. The other night, I also posted a threat about babying my car in the Picture Gallery section. Mods, can you please move this over to 2nd gen discussion?

And I know about the grandma factor... I don't mind saving a few bucks on gas anyway, hehe!
Old 05-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

I ordered some rotora's for my first gen a few months back, front and rear. got the rear first and put them on and they worked great (followed break in procedures perfectly.) a few weeks later I got the fronts and installed those. about 100-150 miles after the install I had to do some highway driving and used the breaks at about 70 mph very lightly and there was crazy shaking. turned out the front drivers side rotor was warped. I just sent it in last week and am waiting on the replacement.

Followed the same procedures on the fronts as I did the rears, but I think it might have been teh fact that it snowed soon after I installed the fronts and the considerable heat change might have been a cause, or I might have over-TQed the lugs on the front, but other than the shaking the stopping ability is SOOOO much better.

btw. this was myr first ever brake install, so it was possibly my fault, and possibly the snow's fault, but they warrantied it out anyways, cost me $16 to ship it back though. oh well.

btw. I got them from www.streatbeatcustoms.com awesome customer service over there.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

This whole break-in procedure is busting my balls. I hope I won't have any problems.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
This whole break-in procedure is busting my balls. I hope I won't have any problems.
heh. If I were doing it, it would take me almost two weeks to break them in properly. I average about 300 miles every 7 days or so. peace out to that shit. I drive too hard. =[

-Alex