'97 CL 2.2 - Blinking Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Master of the Commode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '97 CL 2.2 - Blinking Check Engine Light

Hi to all ... noob here, and a car-dope noob at that.

The 'check engine' light has been on for some time ... I am to understand that this generally points to something to with the oxygen sensor or something ... point being that, aside from getting slightly worse mileage than normal, there's nothing to run around screaming about (I believe the code @ AutoZone read out as P0401 ... naturally, the scan I made of the ticket is on my computer @ work).

Anyway, it's been like that for several months (let's put the over/under @ 6).

Now tonight, I noticed it would start blinking (maybe 3-5 times), stay on (as per what is currently 'normal), and then blink again. My drive one-way happened to be about 15 minutes, and each time I only recall seeing it do the blinking routine twice (meaning, it isn't like - for example - it would blink, stay steady for 2 minutes, blink, stay steady for 2 minutes, etc).

Searching thru the forums, I get the tacit impression that this either points to the aforementioned oxygen sensor problem, or perhaps it's just because the car thinks it wants maintenance (it's @ about 117k).

Now, in the last year alone, the following has been done on the car (from memory):

- rear brakes
- new plugs & wires
- brand-new radiator (and accessories)

Also, I checked all the fluids (except I forgot the power steering fluid, but I have to assume @ the moment it's fine, too). Everything is okey-dokey there.

I did not notice anything 'physically' peculiar about the car (e.g., it isn't driving poorly, not shifting poorly).

I know the obvious answer is to go to the dealer and let them 'fix' it. I am both (a) untrusting ('cause I'm, as I said, a car-dope), and (b) strapped for cash (I know, I know ... who isn't).

So, as you might have guessed, I was hoping you kind cats might have some ideas, pointers, past experiences, or what have you, that might give me some more insight as to what I'm possibly up against (if anything).

Thanks --very much-- in advance ...

Adam
Old 05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Master of the Commode

(SORRY!!)

If it matters, also add new timing belt to the list of things done. Both it, and the radiator, are about 2 weeks old today!

Just trying to be as thorough as I possibly can.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Master of the Commode

(SORRY again!!)

Perhaps I should mention that the D4 light is NOT, I repeat, NOT blinking.

Also, and I know I've read it enough for it to seem true, but I wouldn't mind some re-affirmation of it here ... is it true that, when one goes to (for example) AutoZone and has them read the codes, that they can reset/turn-off the 'Check Engine' light? That would be nice ... here's why:

Other than the fact that it's bloody annoying to see that light (and wonder if 'today' it means something ... paranoia!), I am going to now prove what a car-dope I am. I keep seeing people saying to make sure to click the gas-cap 3 times when you are replacing it. Now, I may be doing that absent-mindedly, but I thing I may not be doing that. That's not to say that I don't turn until it clicks (I don't think!), but maybe it's all due to the gas-cap not being on tight enough.

I doubt that's the case, 'cause I am not that lucky. That said, I had a guy @ work that had all these prob's w/ the Emissions test and what not. Long story short, his gas cap wasn't on properly.

NEVERTHELESS, assuming it's not a gas-cap issue (oh God, please please please), I still am very interested to hear your thoughts on what I might be up against.

I will try my hardest to not keep piling on to my own post!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Burn you with a 2.2

i dont know what that code is but you should definately get it check out by a good mechanic. i believe the CEL is red (emergency) and when it blinks it could mean trouble.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:09 PM
1st Gen CL Noob

Since you are a self-confessed car dope, do the right thing and have your car checked to make sure its nothing major.

Either pay a little now, or ALOT later.

Best case scenario, its nothing serious --- if it ends up its worse (and you found it was caused by your delay in checking it out) the "problem", you will kick yourself for not checking it sooner.

If you spend so much replacing the parts you already listed, may as well bite the bullet and the that CEL checked out now.

Just my
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
We ride RIMS!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i can tell you that the code P0401 is insufficient EGR Flow which probably means nothing to you. That really isnt a big deal at all. I had that code for a couple days. Considering OBD-II when the check engine light flashes that normally indicates a mis-fire. On a 4 cyl you would easily feel that. Otherwise i dont believe the check engine light will flash. But you did say it was not a constant flash. You got me there.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Master of the Commode

Question

Speaking of the flashing ... it ended up flashing a lot more today. I did notice the following:

- If and when it started flashing, if I either 'goosed' the engine or put on the brakes, it immediately stopped.

- It only seems to happen during (what I guess we'll call) "cruising speed" ... that is to say, 55-60mph / 2,000 - 2,500 rpm.

Bizarre!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

blinking check engine light means mis fire. take it to autozone and find out what codes have been added. you might want to check into it more with a mechanic.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Master of the Commode

AutoZone was on the menu for tomorrow.

Mis-fire, eh? I would think I would have noticed that, since it's a 4-cyl.

Or, do I not understand what mis-fire means?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM
4x4- fat chicks cant jump

You should definitely feel a misfire. you would probably see it on your tach too
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

it doesent have to be a hard misfire. you wouldnt feel a misfire while in the higher rpm's, multiple misfires you would feel. at idle you would feel a small misfire. remember i just told you what the blinkin light means.. so when you come back from autozone with a misfire code for cyl 1, 2, 3, or 4 well see. also a misfire is detected by the knock sensor. so a faulty or disconnected knock sensor could also cause a misfire trouble code.

http://www./forum/showthread.php?t=93352

6th post down. and it tells you in your owners manual that a blinkin cel is something you should shut down your car for.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Master of the Commode

Took to AutoZone .... I was 'fortunate' that the guy even took time to hook the car up (maybe he was doing important medical research or something ... ).

So, he didn't even bother to write-down the codes, and his grasp of th English language was not quite Ivy League, but what I did get from him is the phrase "too much gas" (pause for irony to set in). I think he mentioned a misfire code or two as well.

Anyway, as I was driving back to go talk to my mechanic, I realized he probably was referring to the fumes and not the 'liquid' gasoline itself (e.g., fumes as opposed to flooding), so again we're back to the EGR problem that is perhaps finally physically manifesting itself.

So, I believe I will be taking it in to the shop Tues evening (I need to secure transport for myself before abandoning the ol' jalopy!). Luckily, one round trip to work and back is under 10 minutes , so it'll just have to suffer a little longer.

Thanks for the pointers to this point; as a courtesy to those following this awful thread, I will update as I learn more. Hopefully, it'll help some other poor schmuck out there someday!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Master of the Commode

Well, if anyone cares, here's what happened ... and as far as I can tell, it's all terrific!

Due to continued research, and in no small part due to the input of other members of this board (most notably "Mach30SiR" and "saiko_cl_duck", I discovered in the 11th hour that not only was the EGR deal a common, known problem, but it also should be covered under some warranty/recall/whatever. Interestingly, and maybe it's only because I don't understand the nomenclature, I never heard these problems referred to with the word 'recall' ... I did hear the word 'warranty' used once or twice, but all I know is (a) I didn't buy any warranty from anyone, let alone (b) buy the car from them .... so, I just must not understand the intended meaning of 'warranty'. Anyway, moving on ...

So I dropped it off @ a dealer, and not only was the EGR problem fixed and done for free, but also a recently-discovered misfire problem (which I had decided had a direct causal relationship to the EGR problem, but may in fact not have been related to) was fixed as well, and ALSO for free.

On the invoice, the listed it as "75k-150k Mile Emissions Tune-Up".

I had the following codes showing up: P0401 (knew that one all too well), P0171, P0302, and P0304.

So, whatever the case may be, all I know is that I'm driving around w/out the hated CEL mocking me, and it was done @ the right price by what I perceive as a pretty decent outfit (Continental Acura of Naperville, IL).

The Cubs are sucking it hard, the weather the past few days blows, and I'm still poor and ugly ... but my car hasn't been this good in a looooong time!

Thanks everyone for the help ... it saved me a great deal of grief and money!