2.2 Turbo CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 12:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tw1112:
level 10 tranny work with the turbo?? Come on Scott!!! It's time you got the turbo!

</font>
my mom and girlfriend told me to tell you guys to stop tempting me and making me spend my money!!
Old 04-24-2001, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
so do i, but this is a saturday!! you got saturday exams? I work in sante fe springs and would love to check out your ride. I got a digi camera could even get some pics up for ya.</font>
Sante Fe Springs? You're like 10 minutes away.. That's really close. Yeah, I'd like to take you up on the digi camera offer and check out your ride. I've always been curious to see how a 2.2 would perform on a 50 shot NOS.

A friend of mine has a 3.0 CL with 100 shot 4-stage NOS. He says that the only cars that can keep up with him are 911 Turbos and Vipers. When he hits the 4th stage, he goes 175 mph! Crazy shit eh?

Anyhow, I gotta wait until school eases up. Whittier College is pretty tough with 15 credits. And no, it's not a saturday exam, but my philosophy exam is on the following monday. Driving to angels crest would be an all day thing, and I gotta study that weekend.

------------------
Ben.
--
Strive to achieve much in what little time you have.
Remain close to your inner self.
Look after the well being of the mind and body.
Give assistance and kindness where ever needed.
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro

CLPower,

Comon... it's turbo time!!! You're from the West Coast... time to pave the road of other 3.0CL and Accord V6 drivers. Plus... I thought u were going to get another car.

Anyhow if I had the money to put an h22 motor and turbo in my car... I'd use that 10k+ and trade in of my car to make a downpayment on something else. I've had the CL too long, and front wheel drive drift sucks and is quiet scary.

GO clPOWER... live up to the name... bring da boost!

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
rubber tires, windshield wipers, headlights, horn, steering wheel, BRAKE PEDAL, clutch, brake pads, driver seat, passenger seat, back seat, front windshield, rear windshield (with defroster), lumbar support, cruise control, intermitent wiper control, sun roof (tinted), engine, pistons (only 4), emergency brake handle, trunk w/ tools, spare tire
Old 04-24-2001, 03:25 PM
Racer

i agree with typeR, i think you should go for the turbo!

hey junglism, what did your friend with the 3.0 and the 100 shot four stage NOS have to do to his engine and tranny to keep them holding up? that's kinda interesting.

------------------
'97 red CL 3.0
nose mask
venom 400
cai is next!
Old 04-24-2001, 04:37 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by red30cl:
i agree with typeR, i think you should go for the turbo!

hey junglism, what did your friend with the 3.0 and the 100 shot four stage NOS have to do to his engine and tranny to keep them holding up? that's kinda interesting.

</font>
i've heard of this car i believe, and everything is stock on the tranny from what i've heard.

hey junglism, i have finals all the next week too!!! don't wuss out! you can come, just study extra that week and cram in on sunday. I hear you on school though, i'm taking 16 units and working and it's killing me. Hey we can meet up today if you want, i get off at 3:30, or thursday.

Old 04-24-2001, 04:39 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLTypeR:
CLPower,

Comon... it's turbo time!!! You're from the West Coast... time to pave the road of other 3.0CL and Accord V6 drivers. Plus... I thought u were going to get another car.

Anyhow if I had the money to put an h22 motor and turbo in my car... I'd use that 10k+ and trade in of my car to make a downpayment on something else. I've had the CL too long, and front wheel drive drift sucks and is quiet scary.

GO clPOWER... live up to the name... bring da boost!

</font>

you know what i would love to, but i want a manual tranny for a turbo, thats why i'll probally end up getting a CRX soon and slapping a motor into it. I would love to turbo my car, but i'd rather build a 10 sec. weekend driver out of a CRX and do some scca w/ it.

sorry to disapoint guys
Old 04-24-2001, 04:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

also junglsm? how does he hit 175? thats impossible unless he has custom gearing. N20 doesn't increase top speed, RPM's do
Old 04-24-2001, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

i've heard of this car i believe, and everything is stock on the tranny from what i've heard.
</font>
You know him? His CL is all black.. He's got a gauge pod and no muffler.. His name is Chris. He's already blown up one 3.0 engine. He's a crazy fucker tho.. He's been arrested for going 89 in a school zone. I heard that he's also outrun CHP. I'll let you know about Thursday. Take it easy.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

</font>
I don't think he has a stock tranny. The kid is LOADED. He blew up an engine with NOS and had a new engine being installed the very next day. Must be nice to have his parents.

Ben

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

also junglsm? how does he hit 175? thats impossible unless he has custom gearing. N20 doesn't increase top speed, RPM's do</font>
I'm not sure.. But he said he can go that fast as long as he isn't going uphill. I'll ask him next time I see him. I'll tell him to stop by the forum. He knows this stuff better than I do.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Remember I did say, his car has me in a race ... but not by much. That's ALL I've been saying this whole time.
</font>
Negative. That's the first time you've said it. You said you'd give me a run for the money. But we both know that's not true.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:46 PM
Racer

how can our stock tranny handle 100 shot nitrous??? no tranny cooler or anything?

------------------
'97 red CL 3.0
nose mask
venom 400
cai is next!
Old 04-24-2001, 06:04 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by junglism:
You know him? His CL is all black.. He's got a gauge pod and no muffler.. His name is Chris. He's already blown up one 3.0 engine. He's a crazy fucker tho.. He's been arrested for going 89 in a school zone. I heard that he's also outrun CHP. I'll let you know about Thursday. Take it easy.

</font>
no but i think i heard about the car.

------------------

Old 04-24-2001, 06:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

how can our stock tranny handle 100 shot nitrous??? no tranny cooler or anything?

</font>
our tranny isn't as weak as we all think; it's a myth. Just most people drive hard on it, (thinking we've got a manual tranny that can handle constant acceleration. On a healthy tranny thats been driven on nice it should be fine

------------------

Old 04-24-2001, 06:36 PM
Pro

Run for the money..... hmm... lemme think... my exhaust cost me $450, header $300, intake $200 = $950. Installation was free cause I did it myself. Hmm... how much a turbo cost? $3500 at least for decent parts and maybe $500 for installation if you got a hookup... otherwise it'd be double or triple that. Than u have to dyno it..... more money.

I highly doubt that u can break 15's on your setup.... running on stock tires .
205/55 Michellin MXV4's.

So a run for the money.... i think hell yea.... knowing I'm running minor bolt ons and go to the track w/ my stocks tires.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
rubber tires, windshield wipers, headlights, horn, steering wheel, BRAKE PEDAL, clutch, brake pads, driver seat, passenger seat, back seat, front windshield, rear windshield (with defroster), lumbar support, cruise control, intermitent wiper control, sun roof (tinted), engine, pistons (only 4), emergency brake handle, trunk w/ tools, spare tire
Old 04-24-2001, 06:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Run for the money..... hmm... lemme think... my exhaust cost me $450, header $300, intake $200 = $950. Installation was free cause I did it myself. Hmm... how much a turbo cost? $3500 at least for decent parts and maybe $500 for installation if you got a hookup... otherwise it'd be double or triple that. Than u have to dyno it..... more money.

205/55 Michellin MXV4's.

So a run for the money.... i think hell yea.... knowing I'm running minor bolt ons and go to the track w/ my stocks tires.

</font>

a turbo kit for a 2.2 can be had for a measily 2K w/ intercooler, if you know a good amount of people. For me i could even get it cheaper if i loook around hard enough. Install is no different then installing headers, etc.

------------------
my mom and bestfriend have told me to tell you guys to stop telling me to spend my money; they are tired of my automobiles getting pampared and them getting whats left over which usually consists of change I find in my car by doing things you guys incourage
Old 04-24-2001, 08:42 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

hey CLPOWER, are you going to turbo you 3.0 i'm thinking about it. and who can you get a kit from for under 3,000 dollars????
Old 04-24-2001, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

205/55 Michellin MXV4's.

</font>
All of your exhaust crap really doesn't matter. I have an exhaust cut-out. Do you know what that is?

And who said Michelin 205/55's? I'm running 205/35 Falcon Ziexs.. Run for the money? My ass. You'll be getting a really good look at my the back of my tires.

And my kit didn't cost anywhere near $3500. Not even $2000. The most expensive part was the turbo. And it was $330. My friend custom made the exhaust manifold for $200. The intercooler was $300 and everything else was less than $500. And the install was free. It's not hard to turbocharge your car for under $2000 if you've got the right hook ups.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Ok, I think you guys need to grow up a little, so what, who cares what he did to his car or how much he spent, thats his business... if he's got the cash, let him spend it. Turbo's do amazing things to boring engines... so you never actually know what he is running for times. And why are you buggin him anyway CL typeR? You two have identical cars, why diss your own car? Just be happy that someone else, like you and everyone else in this forum including myself, has a first gen CL.

------------------
1997 ACURA 3.0 CL PREMIUM

Apex-i cat-back Exhaust, AEM Intake, Clear Bumper Lenses, 18" ADR Cyrax rims, Ground Control Coilovers, Wings West Chin Spoiler, Acura Rear spoiler, Piaa Fog Lights, Tinted Windows, Boston Acoustics tweets, mids and subs.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:30 AM
Pro

I ain't dissin no one's car... i'm just sayin I'd give him a run for his money. In no way did that imply that I'd beat you. Yes, I'll see the back of your car, maybe even ur license plate.... but... heh heh... ur still running 15's.

Exhaust cut out? I've never heard that term ... test pipe, straight pipe, open header, yes... but I've never heard such a ghetto term.

CLPower... don't mean to disagree... but a turbo install is a bit more involved than installing a header... it took me less than an hour for the header and I didn't have to take anthing apart to get to it. Turbo install although I haven't done one myself is alot more involved... sticking the intercooler on w double sided tape doesn't count. Running on stock engine readings... just won't work... and the engine compressioni had to be lowered. My friend took his 5th gen lude to Dynamic (Drag what not) and it took them at least 3/4 of a day to put it in ... than dyno it... so a 2 day event. And to get the install working well... that's another story.

$330 is really cheap for a turbo, and $300 for an intercooler is... ridiculous. Used parts? $200 for exhaust manifold.. not bad considering my header cost that much, but still too low. No BOV... but u don't need one running 6psi.

As for the tires... I said I run on the track using my stock tires... OEM even... and u know they suck. And I don't wanna hear about no track times running on slicks, drag radials, maybe even better tires. I'm saying my runs were done on stock tires.

BTW... ur not using a boost controller? maybe w/ a hookup $400 (unless u use the cheap old greddy solenoid controller...hmmm lets judge what boost i'm running by the number of clicks on the nob) , timer...$100, FPR, oil cooler, autometer gauges....a/f, boost at least? No ignition, coil whatnot... running on stock ignition!?!? Sounds like certain engine detonation w/o these parts. That's all money to me...

Stock clutch? Haha ... when i first had my car i ragged the shit out of it so that they would get me a new transmission cause it wasn't 100%. In the process I had 60% wear in 10,000 miles. Well maybe you could run on the stock clutch... 6 psi ain't much.

Take a picture of your engine bay and I'll shut up.... run in the 14's... and I'll shut up (no posting other peoples slips either). Shut my loudass up . Sorry for being obnoxious..... this topic got heated... once someone says anything about racing it's like testosterone time. I apologize. Cool car though.... just don't think it's worth it going turbo... but it's your money... I would've put mine into an H22a w/ some agressive cams (TODA..I wish) and that engine would run beautifully for 150k miles.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-25-2001, 02:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey CLpower, where in Santa Fe Springs do you work? Anyhow, yeah a turbo for a 3.0 would be cool...just not sure how much money it would ultimately cost...some tranny work later on most likely. Sigh..money sucks! Come on CLpower...don't listen to your mom and bestfriend...listen to me!! Get the turbo!!

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:13 AM
Cruisin'

I ain't dissin no one's car... i'm just sayin I'd give him a run for his money. In no way did that imply that I'd beat you.

Exhaust cut out? I've never heard that term ... test pipe, straight pipe, open header, yes... but I've never heard such a ghetto term.

$330 is really cheap for a turbo, and $300 for an intercooler is... ridiculous. Used parts? $200 for exhaust manifold.. not bad considering my header cost that much, but still too low. No BOV... but u don't need one running 6psi.

Take a picture of your engine bay and I'll shut up.... run in the 14's... and I'll shut up (no posting other peoples slips either). Shut my loudass up . Sorry for being obnoxious..... this topic got heated... once someone says anything about racing it's like testosterone time. I apologize. Cool car though.... just don't think it's worth it going turbo... but it's your money... I would've put mine into an H22a w/ some agressive cams (TODA..I wish) and that engine would run beautifully for 150k miles.
</font>
Don't back down now pussy.. I'll post the pics and the time slips. Keep runnin yer mouth until then.. You'll feel even more stupid when I do.

And you did more than imply you would beat me. Look above and you'll see the "damage my front bumper" if I don't turn up the boost comment. If you're gonna tell a lie, don't pretend that you never said it.

Don't know what an exhaust cut-out is? Take a gander at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=582565508

Yeah, the intercooler is used, but everything else is new because I got da hook ups. A friend of mine owns a shop in Colorado and I get everything at cost. The intercooler was $575 new, and I found a good used one for 3 bills instead.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:27 AM
Scooby Guru

From that link:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A 2.0L engine will gain at at least 20 horsepower from an exhaust cut out.</font>
Umm, I don't think so... a straight-thru system reduces way too much backpressure (on a NA setup) and an abnormally short exhaust slows exhaust gas velocity. Not to mention that you'll be choking on fumes and it will sound like crap.

------------------
'02 WRX Wagon (OZ Superleggeras, removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, Dawes Devices Manual Boost Controller, etc)
'97 2.2CL (removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, interior neon lights & other ricey mods)

[This message has been edited by RidinLow (edited 04-25-2001).]
Old 04-25-2001, 04:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Please guys keep this post clean and nice because I really don't want to close this one. junglism, try and make it to the meet, I am really interested in riding in your CL if you would let me! Oh or if you and clpower are meeting up let me know...I might be able to make it too.

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:17 PM
Pro

Name calling... tisk tisk. Wow u stooped too low. Nonetheless I will not go there.

Anyhow, so damage to my front bumper means I'll beat you? The physics in that just don't make any sense. Ok... kiddie english ... I'll be right behind you. Do you think I would ever post something so absurd as to have my CL w/ boltons beating a CL w/ a turbo.

Exhaust cut out... interesting... never seen one b4. I agree with ridiin low 20 hp on a 2.0L is bogus... maybe close to 20 on a forced 2.0. As for n/a maybe 3-4.

That exhaust cutout of yours would drag on the ground while I'm driving. Heck.. my exhaust piping is like 2 inches off the ground at lowest.... 2.5 at the highest.

And do you have to recopy my post ... it takes up space.

Colorado huh.... lemme call my friend that owns the largest audio chain there...

Posting the pictures won't make me look stupid ... I just want to see them. I'm not the only one smelling the BS. Even if you do ... ur car is still slow...

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-25-2001, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

Anyhow, so damage to my front bumper means I'll beat you? The physics in that just don't make any sense. Ok... kiddie english ... I'll be right behind you. Do you think I would ever post something so absurd as to have my CL w/ boltons beating a CL w/ a turbo.
</font>
Jesus Christ yer f*ckin stupid.. Let's examine of the physics of damaging your front bumper..

Damaging your front bumper would entail two moving objects colliding. If object A (my car) was in front of object B (your car), and the velocity of object B was greater than that of object A.. The front of object B would collide with the back of object A. Hence, for your front bumper to be damaged by the back of my car, the velocity of your car would have to be greater than that of mine. It doesn't take a PhD in physics to realize that said your car was faster than mine. Kiddie english eh? Looks more like a lie to me. Stop denying it.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-25-2001, 05:05 PM
Scooby Guru

Hehe, you guys are funny.
bling bling

------------------
'02 WRX Wagon (OZ Superleggeras, removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, Dawes Devices Manual Boost Controller, etc)
'97 2.2CL (removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, interior neon lights & other ricey mods)

[This message has been edited by RidinLow (edited 04-25-2001).]
Old 04-25-2001, 06:28 PM
HP
Advanced

HAHA..you guys crack me up...

I'm just waitin to see pics!!!

Yo junglism....where in LA are ya? Im on the westside and I rarely see modded CL's so itd be cool to check out your car.

Old 04-25-2001, 08:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RidinLow:
From that link:
Umm, I don't think so... a straight-thru system reduces way too much backpressure (on a NA setup) and an abnormally short exhaust slows exhaust gas velocity. Not to mention that you'll be choking on fumes and it will sound like crap.

</font>
you will lose torque but still gain HP
Old 04-25-2001, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HP:
HAHA..
Yo junglism....where in LA are ya? Im on the westside and I rarely see modded CL's so itd be cool to check out your car.
</font>
I live in Whittier, but my girl lives in Santa Monica, so we could probably meet up sometime.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:25 PM
Scooby Guru

The HP you gain up top may not be enough to make the low end torque loss be worth it, especially on a tiny 2.2L motor. But I guess we could argue this back & forth until somebody actually gets the car on a dyno.

------------------
Old 04-26-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro

Gosh... I gotta analyse my own words...."Better crank up the boost or u'll mess up my front bumper." First you take everything so figuratively... and I'm honored u remember everything I type. I still don't understand why u think that I think my car is faster.

Your physics is right. Obviously u've never seen any races. Every race against an ITR? I can spank the ITR for most of the 1/8 mile. Than he'll kill me in the end. I dunno bout this situation... never raced an imaginary Turbo CL.... or a slow turbo CL.

I'm enjoying this debate...not the name calling, and if I were u... I'd hurry and borrow someone's digital camera. It's not that I really don't believe that u have a turbo in your CL it's more that I think it's slow and kinda a stupid thing to do w/ that engine. It's kinda like... why the hell would u throw a turbo in a d16 Civic EX???

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-26-2001, 01:21 PM
teh Senior Instigator

engine. It's kinda like... why the hell would u throw a turbo in a d16 Civic EX???

</font>
i've seen SOHC hatches run low 12's
Old 04-26-2001, 01:23 PM
teh Senior Instigator

junglism: wanna meet up today?
Old 04-26-2001, 04:02 PM
Pro

Now that's only due mostly to weight.... or their lack of. 1900 lb hatch.

Anyway I'm tired of this topic. NEXT... Was starting to get stupid when the name calling began (one sided of course).

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 05-18-2001, 11:25 PM
Cruisin'

CLTYPER, where in Maryland do you live? I thought I was the only one in MD to have lots of mods done. You need to stop hatin the dude with the turbo. Don't be jealous cause he had the balls and the money to do it. I think anyone that talks shit that is affraid to spend the money themselves to do stuff like that should shut the hell up. And oh yeah if you guys ever race I got 2g's on the turbo dude, he will strait up bitch slap you.
Old 05-19-2001, 01:12 AM
Pro

Hey Newbie.

Who said I didn't have the money to do it? I was going to be the first w an H22a in their CL, back in 98 (turbo wasn't a reality cause it just sucks on the 2.2). Than reality hit me, high 14's on a 6g budget wouldn't be practical... it'd be faster then a 2.2T though. Ever hear about anyone turboing their f22b motor? Kno why... cause it's stupid and a total waste of money.
And who said I'd win the race? You gotta be kidding me... i'm not an idiot... read the posts.... and howcome ur bringing an old post back to life?
I go to school at the university of maryland, my cl is green, and I'm from New Jersey. And, I don't race on the road, my car is too slow and civic's and integra's aren't worth my gas. However I will race TL's for fun ... TL heads have more class.

Don't mean to be hostile, but ur reply was kinda pointless after all that was already written. If you want to meet up, email me or put something up on the forum. I live in Laurel, what bout u? My CL is kinda messed up right now, streets of NYC sucK!!
------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)

[This message has been edited by CLTypeR (edited 05-18-2001).]
Old 05-19-2001, 03:35 PM
AWD Torque Monster

if u knew the cl and its history well u would knwo that acura was too damn cheap to paint teh freakin moldings in 97. plus they used some wierd ass plastic that isn't made for paint to stick on. so painting them must be done right and who knows how long that will last. im so fuckin pissed that i have that shitty has black platic on the bottom of my cl. it doesnt get any cheaper. shit might as well bein a civic. at least they painted the door moldings and they are not black like ppl with older gen accords. i feel even worse for them.

------------------
1997 Black Acura 2.2 CL
Currently-
PIAAs Everywhere, PIAA 1700X, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, OE Spoiler,
5% Tints (Limo), HKS Super Dragger Exhaust, AEM CAI, Venom 400
Comming Soon-
Headers or Ignition, Front Lip
http://members.home.net/vx16
Old 05-19-2001, 03:48 PM
AWD Torque Monster

and this whole forum is so damn funny. i think its the only one where i read every page. hahahahahahahhahaha and after all thsi crap there is still no pics of ur engine. if u ever do get them or have ur own page tell me cuz i would like to add u to my cl page im makin.

------------------
1997 Black Acura 2.2 CL
Currently-
PIAAs Everywhere, PIAA 1700X, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, OE Spoiler,
5% Tints (Limo), HKS Super Dragger Exhaust, AEM CAI, Venom 400
Comming Soon-
Headers or Ignition, Front Lip
http://members.home.net/vx16