Replace Battery indicator came on, then went away . Take seriously ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Replace Battery indicator came on, then went away . Take seriously ?

Hi guys. I started my MDX this morning after sitting outside all night and saw a "replace battery" come up on the MID and then I drove a minute and it went away. It is 27 degrees here but not excessively(for here ) cold. I just started it again and no message.

Battery was replaced when I bought it certified 8000 miles ago. Would the replace battery light stay on if it really needed replacing ? Is there a TSB on the 2G MDX batteries I am unaware of ?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Can you test the electrical system? It might be a faulty alternator not fully charging the battery or a power drain somewhere running it down when the X is off. I had both problems at different times on my RDX when my battery failed and it wasn't the battery. There is an old saying that "heat kills a battery in summer; but, it doesn't die until winter". A electrical check could save you some time.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Can you test the electrical system? It might be a faulty alternator not fully charging the battery or a power drain somewhere running it down when the X is off. I had both problems at different times on my RDX when my battery failed and it wasn't the battery. There is an old saying that "heat kills a battery in summer; but, it doesn't die until winter". A electrical check could save you some time.
sure I don't mind testing the electrical system. How exactly do I do that? Turn on everything electrical in the car and see if it works? I've already done that. I've driven the car, I've driven around with the radio on and the heat and everything seems to work ok.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM
mrgold35

I usually get my aftermarket batteries from Interstate. They can test your battery for free to make sure it is not that. I would make sure to drive a around for 10-20 minutes before hand to make sure the battery is fully charged. Don't want a low battery from a power drain effecting the test. I had Acura test my electrical system on my RDX. Unfortunately, both times they said it was the battery on my RDX, changed out the battery, another dead battery a few days later, and then they said it was something else after they tested again. I'm not sure if they did a half A$$ job the first electrical test or the low battery was giving them wrong readings.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Hi guys. I started my MDX this morning after sitting outside all night and saw a "replace battery" come up on the MID and then I drove a minute and it went away. It is 27 degrees here but not excessively(for here ) cold. I just started it again and no message.

Battery was replaced when I bought it certified 8000 miles ago. Would the replace battery light stay on if it really needed replacing ? Is there a TSB on the 2G MDX batteries I am unaware of ?
I've never seen a message like that and I'm on the factory battery in my MDX. Batteries can loose some CCA's when its cold and possibly trigger the warning. You can go to autozone and get it checked out for free! If it's a newer battery it still might be covered by acura's warranty for a free or prorated replacement.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:07 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a common complaint. Do some googling. We usually ignore it. If you do a lot of short trips in very cold weather, your battery does not have a chance to fully recharge and you will get this error message. Now, if your battery is over 4-5 years old you may need a new one. Also, batteries can fail prematurely so it would be prudent to get it load tested by someone you trust.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
there was some sort of firmware update that was done to my '11 to clear the same problem...might want to look into that
mrgold35 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by fxcarden
there was some sort of firmware update that was done to my '11 to clear the same problem...might want to look into that
I totally forgot about that. The Acura tech did the same update when he reflashed my 6AT about a year ago.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same issue this year. Replace the battery with a new AGM battery from advanced auto parts. Cheapest AGM with good reviews(deals you can find online; -$50 and $25 off rebate at the time I purchased it. I believe the OEM battery was only a year old and when I took it to get tested, it tested good. Supposedly it is not covered under warranty since I purchased under CPO and original owner has replaced it once already. OEM battery specs seemed inadequate to me so I didn't fight for another free OEM battery. AGM batteries charge quicker then OEM batteries and have other better benefits. Have not seen that warning since.

note: I was also getting it when it was only cold outside also and once I got my first warning it also popped up with low battery warnings. I even put it on a trickle charge which helped but if I skipped a day without doing this warnings will still come on. I contacted Acura relations and they said the firmware update was done to my car already.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
For all of us MDX owners I would recommend this:

Equus Innova 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor.

It will cost you about $14 at Americas largest retail chain.

I have used these things for years in my MDX and RL due to both cars being notorious for getting through batteries and being on the edge of being adequate. They are permanently plugged in and a quick glance gives you a clue on a daily basis.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I get the replace battery message on my TL every winter when the temp goes below 10*F if the car sits outside. This morning we got the message on the MDX. Both vehicles always start strong and I've yet to replace a battery in either - 2010 MDX and 2012 TL SH-AWD. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder, so I expect to see it again
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 AM
mrgold35

I haven't seen the battery light since the firmware updated; but, I still don't trust the OEM battery. When it fails or dies, I want to change to AGM battery.

I did purchased the GB30 Boost from Amazon for about $125. You can charge it using USB, very small, jump vehicles up to 20 times, "idiot proof" electronic circuits, has 2 LED lights, and can recharge any USB device. I've had two OEM batteries fail without warning on my TSX and RDX (still have OEM battery in MDX). I used it on my Mom's 1999 Supercharged Bonneville SSEi and my TSX (overhead TSX dome light comes on randomly and runs down battery). If the vehicle is 100% dead, you have to let it sit for a little bit on the battery after you hit the red exclamation button. It jumped both vehicle with no problems both times. I still keep jumper cables in my vehicles as a back-up (jumper cables also have idiot proof circuit).

Name:  NOCOGB-30II_zps7ad06058.jpg
Views: 10940
Size:  257.6 KB

Name:  41sj9SVophL_zps409e5c87.jpg
Views: 10790
Size:  21.1 KB

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-18-2015 at 09:22 AM.
technocrat (02-18-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other symptoms

Before my replace battery warning appeared, I noticed that the steering whel wasn't motoring to it's usual position when I started the car. I figured the cold was causing more resistance than usual and some overzealous sensor was preventing it from pushing through (less you somehow get crushed).

I was wrong. Replacing that battery (Duracell AGM from Sams Club) fixed everything. The low voltage was causing the issue (the cold probably was still playing a role, but it impacted the battery, not he wheel itself).

So, do you have any other symptoms? If so, replace the battery.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
After a few low voltage warnings ..
The dealer replaced my '11 MDX Advance battery - to my surprise - after my first service in Jan 12 and did not have any issues till yesterday. Yesterday I got "Replace Battery warning".

Since its now 4 years old and they don't last anywhere near the 100 month warranty stamped on it - also I understand that Acura don't honor replacement warranty (##@@%^&*), I just got a replacement from Advance Auto for $100.
The new replacement has 700 CCA and 3 year free replacement (5 year total) vs the Acura 630 CCA and at best questionable warranty.

Will put new battery in today and post what effects are over time ..

Does anyone here use a multi-meter to test ???
If so please respond how best to test your battery.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM
mrgold35

I ended up replacing my OEM battery that was +5 yrs old after getting a dash cam. I think the battery was already borderline; but, it had enough power to start everyday and I didn't notice. Adding the dash cam dropped the power below borderline (dash cam ran in parking mode drained more power). I also got the replace battery warning a few times; but, it went away after charging the battery.

Went ahead and replaced with an Interstate AGM battery a few months ago and zero issues since.