Why no Captains Chair offering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Why no Captains Chair offering?

Wondering why Acura doesn't offer a captains chair option on the MDX? I know the Enclave and the Tahoe do and I consider both to be in the same midsize suv range. Getting access to the 3rd row is a breeze, not to mention its a legitimate 3rd row.

Come to think of it, no import (as far as I'm aware) has captains chairs...

I know this may not appeal to all buyers, but an option would be nice.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
Wondering why Acura doesn't offer a captains chair option on the MDX? I know the Enclave and the Tahoe do and I consider both to be in the same midsize suv range. Getting access to the 3rd row is a breeze, not to mention its a legitimate 3rd row.

I think that the Tahoe and Enclave are in a different, larger category. But as far as imports go, I know that the Infiniti QX56 offers them.....
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I think that the Tahoe and Enclave are in a different, larger category. But as far as imports go, I know that the Infiniti QX56 offers them.....
And the QX56 is a nice SUV, btw. Normally I don't care for larger vehicles, but I checked it out at the Houston Auto Show and I really like them a lot. Very luxurious, roomy and comfortable.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by SlimTL
And the QX56 is a nice SUV, btw. Normally I don't care for larger vehicles, but I checked it out at the Houston Auto Show and I really like them a lot. Very luxurious, roomy and comfortable.
If money was no object that'd be the car I would have gotten instead of the MDX
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 2010 MDX and a 2010 Tahoe and can firmly attest that the MDX is not in the size class of the Tahoe. It is much smaller, rides much firmer and much more "car like" with the acceleration. About the only way they are similar is that they both get about 16 mpg.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
So this leads me to ask another questions. If the MDX is considered to be a proper "mid-size" suv and the Tahoe is considered to be a proper "full-size" suv, then what would you classify the Suburban?

I see and understand your logic, but I always considered a proper "mid-size" suv to be a 3 row with limited storage in the back (mdx/tahoe/q7, and X5 although it doesn't come with a 3rd row standard, its still an option). A proper "full-size" is something like the surban, sequoia, armada, etc... where you have 3 rows plus ample cargo storage in the back.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
StayAtHomeDad

So this leads me to ask another questions. If the MDX is considered to be a proper "mid-size" suv and the Tahoe is considered to be a proper "full-size" suv, then what would you classify the Suburban?

I see and understand your logic, but I always considered a proper "mid-size" suv to be a 3 row with limited storage in the back (mdx/tahoe/q7, and X5 although it doesn't come with a 3rd row standard, its still an option). A proper "full-size" is something like the surban, sequoia, armada, etc... where you have 3 rows plus ample cargo storage in the back.
Here is my logic regarding the Tahoe, its a body on frame SUV, a true off-roader (if you need it to be), and I believe that the third row was simply an after thought....It's also a larger vehicle, with larger engine(s). I don't think it's a true competitor to the MDX, and besides the Ford Expedition I don't really know what it competes against these days as the Dodge Durango became a bit "softer".

If you realize, Infiniti did, the MDX doesn't have any clear competitors, and by that I mean a "luxury brand that offers three rows of seating in a car like platform". The only other "luxury" brand that offered a third row in this price/size point was Volvo with their geriatric XC90. Now there is the JX. You can find others like the Kia Sorento (BTW I had a rental for a week and it was a great car), maybe even the Subaru Tribeca, but those are not Luxury brands. The RX doesn't have three rows, and that's supposed to be the competitor....or is it competing against the RDX?

The Enclave/Traverse/Acadia are larger and IMO don't really compare to the MDX. I would compare the MDX to the X5 and ML, perhaps a 4Runner or Highlander
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Sounds like you want an Odyssey..
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Sounds like you want an Odyssey..
lol, trying to fight it my friend, but i will admit it serves its purpose incredibly well!

I just want a sporty, lux/near lux, family hauler with ample seating/cargo space right around 50-60K. If I could take the best of the JX (seating/cargo) and the best of the MDX (performance/sh-awd), merge the two together, we'd have the perfect offering!

As for the captains chair offering, I personally don't care for it, but a co-worker of mine basically dismissed the MDX entirely because it didn't have that feature. Just thought it would be a nice option for those interested in it.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The current odyssey in the Touring Elite trim is knocking on the doors of Acura in Luxury, heck it even has similar technology which is shared by the MDX and Its the best looking mini-van on the market IMO.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I just want a sporty, lux/near lux, family hauler with ample seating/cargo space right around 50-60K. If I could take the best of the JX (seating/cargo) and the best of the MDX (performance/sh-awd), merge the two together, we'd have the perfect offering!
Well, the QX56 has your name on it then, if you can afford the gas that is

Performance & Handling
Powering the 2012 QX56 is a 5.6-liter V-8 producing 400 hp and 413 lb-ft of torque. The V-8 is mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission, which transmits power to either the rear or all four wheels with the available Infiniti All-Mode 4WD. In our tests, a QX56 4WD managed to scoot to 60 mph from a standstill in 6.1 seconds. For a vehicle weighing 5850 lbs, that's scary fast. In addition to its capable drive train is its equally capable chassis borrowed from the Nissan Patrol. That chassis rides on an independent front and rear double-wishbone suspension and has an available Hydraulic Body Motion Control system which helps decrease body roll for a more controlled and comfortable ride. The QX56 gets a standard class IV tow hitch, and is rated at 8500 lbs towing capacity.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/...#ixzz2JVUY0wfZ
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Oh i'm definitely not rulling out the QX56, but will most likely go the used route if that were to happen.

I also have high hopes for the refreshed MDX. Was never disappointed from the performance aspect and I'm sure the refresh will deliver. There was definitely room for improvement with the interior and i'm hoping Acura comes through here.

I'm pretty content with the prototype and i hope not much changes with the production offering, but dying to see details on the interior though....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I just built the odyssey and i'm at $49K!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Late to this discussion, but when deciding on the MDX, I looked at the Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia, which I think is in the same class but offers captains chairs. It's a pretty nice thing to have, if you like that layout. The Traverse/Acadia did seem like it had a slightly larger cabin and trunk so the third row is a little more spacious, and even with the third row up, there is more usable cargo space. For the MDX to have captains chairs and for that to work, I think it'd need to be stretched out lengthwise a little more so that the third row has more room.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just traded in my TL for a new Nissan Armada and mine came with captain chairs and they do make a big difference. I was actually going to get a MDX but the small 3rd row, MPGs and the fact that Nissan was giving 7K rebate made me sway to a fully loaded Armada. If anyone else is cross shopping you owe it to yourself to check out the Armada if you need space and towing. I did it on a fluke and was totally surprised what a nice truck it was for the price.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by limj23
I just traded in my TL for a new Nissan Armada and mine came with captain chairs and they do make a big difference. I was actually going to get a MDX but the small 3rd row, MPGs and the fact that Nissan was giving 7K rebate made me sway to a fully loaded Armada. If anyone else is cross shopping you owe it to yourself to check out the Armada if you need space and towing. I did it on a fluke and was totally surprised what a nice truck it was for the price.
Looking hard at the Armada and the Sequoia man. I can't believe the pricepoint that some of the dealers are quoting me for a platinum Armada!
Fully loaded in the mid/high 40's is very tough to pass up. As far as looks go, i'm leaning more towards the Sequoia, but they can't seem to touch the Armadas price point!

One thing i do like about the Armada though is the dual headrest screens. Can you confirm if it has a DVD player or have they upgraded to Blue Ray? The sequoia offers blue ray but only a single screen in the middle. Not a deal breaker but DVD format is a dying breed.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Really digging this:

I'm a sucker for the black/tan interior!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking hard at the Armada and the Sequoia man. I can't believe the pricepoint that some of the dealers are quoting me for a platinum Armada!
Fully loaded in the mid/high 40's is very tough to pass up. As far as looks go, i'm leaning more towards the Sequoia, but they can't seem to touch the Armadas price point!

One thing i do like about the Armada though is the dual headrest screens. Can you confirm if it has a DVD player or have they upgraded to Blue Ray? The sequoia offers blue ray but only a single screen in the middle. Not a deal breaker but DVD format is a dying breed.
I actually got a new 2012 with the drop down center monitor like the MDX and paid 47K OTD with their top of the line extended warranty like acura care for 8/120K. I know Best bang for your buck out there now and the thing is truly a beast with the 5.6, I was totally surprised how small it actually drove and some features the MDX was missing.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by limj23
I just traded in my TL for a new Nissan Armada I did it on a fluke and was totally surprised what a nice truck it was for the price.
That's the problem, it's a truck and the MDX is not.
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (02-07-2013)