Tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Tire recommendation

I need a set of new tires for my 08 MDX. I currently have the Continental DWS for a few years now. I have no issues with those but wondering if there are better tires out there. Thank you for any feedback.
Old 08-31-2021 | 09:22 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

What are your requirements for the tire? ie do you live and drive in snow? Treadwear? Price?

The DWS is a Ultra high performance all season. IIRC it's successor is still ranked really well. I have a set of DWS tires on my TL. Only issue I have with those on my TL...minor flatspotting. Otherwise they did well in now when the TL still saw snow.

For the MDX, I'd go more for a dedicated crossover tire. Of the reviews on Tirerack rankings: Conti LX25, Pirelli Scorpion Plus 3, and the Michelin Crosscontact (i think that's the model) are the top 3 in the category. All perform well across all conditions including light snow. Now I will say I have had the LX20s on my MDX twice. The 2nd set I had vibration issues with (long story). These were later swapped with the LX25s. For whatever reason, Conti has had vibration complaints (according to Tirerack). The LX25s were only on for about 600 miles before I swapped them for the Pirelli's. My bad luck landed me with a set where all 4 tires were out of round. Those got swapped with another set of Plus 3s. While they balanced, there were STILL some uniformity issues with them. Those lasted about a month with 2 weeks of that time with my car parked at the dealer (again long story, not my dealer's fault). Tirerack was good enough to let me return those and source tires directly from my dealer. I ended up with the last generation Pirelli Scorpion Plus 2 on my car and they seem to be mostly playing nice with my MDX in terms of vibration. As for the Michelins, the chevron pattern of the tread will eventually become noisy and then you have poor tread life. Those were the common complaints of the reviews.

I will say, do not take my experience with out of round tires as the deal breaker with the Conti LX25s or the Pirelli Scorpion PLus 3 tires. I liked the Conti's and was willing to stick with them because of my experience with the LX20s (first set), but grew frustrated with the out of round issues causing unwanted vibration in my steering wheel. The Pirelli's were a nice compromise and comparable to the Conti's. Of the short time with the LX25s and the Plus3s...both were nice riding tires around town. I'd say the Pirelli's are a little quieter when I wasn't distracted with the steering wheel vibrating.

If I went with a more budget tire that still performs well...the new Yokohama Geolanders look promising, but limited reviews. My dealer can actually get those for the MDX. The buy3 get one free deal inclusive of mount and balance and free tire rotations/road hazard for 2 years makes it a great deal. I got the Pirelli Scorpion Plus 2 from the dealer thru this current offer. I do not believe the dealer can source the other tires I mentioned before.

Tirerack customer service is awesome, BTW and easy to work with if you have issues.
Old 09-01-2021 | 07:12 AM
Intermediate

I am looking mainly a all weather for summer and snow. I am looking for something that does not wear as easily and low noise. I think the DWS has pretty low noise. I also have vibration issue from my steering wheel but I think that might be due to the rotor which is probably due for a change. From the recommendation, I might look at the Conto LX or stick with the DWS. I have no issue with the DWS but since I have been sticking with DWS on my TL and MDX for a few years now, I thought maybe there are better and improved tires out there. TLtrigirl, again, thank you for sharing your feedback. Very much appreciated.
Old 09-01-2021 | 07:44 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Like TLtrigirl said take a walk around Tirerack.com -

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...X&cameFrom=TSR

Old 09-01-2021 | 10:28 AM
mrgold35

There are the updated Conti DWS 06 Plus tires. I've used the original and 2nd versions of the Conti DWS 06 on my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX. Planning to switch to the newer Conti DWS 06 Plus once my tires wear out on my 18 RLX and 19 MDX. I don't need a dedicated winter or summer tires, I don't tow or go off road, and the posted speed limits are 70-80 mph depending on the state in the west/southwest (I drive 5-7 mph above that). Depending on the time of year, I can hit all four seasons on a drive and be anywhere from sea level to +11,000 feet on a 4-15 hour drive depending on direction from NM.

Last edited by mrgold35; 09-01-2021 at 10:32 AM.