Thinking about adding a ATF Cooler-07 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Thinking about adding a ATF Cooler-07 MDX

Hello,

I noticed there was some sort of fluid cooler behind the bumper on the 07 MDX close to the passenger side, does anyone know what cooler that is for (PS or ATF) I'm thinking about adding one as well. And does anyone have luck pulling up the transmission parts diagram, I'm trying to figure out where the in/out fluid lines are. Greatly appreciated. This is a tech package.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Racer

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal

Going to test, run a source from picture 7 to the cooler then back to 8 in the diagram.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Racer

Disregard everything I've said, this is for future searchs to help others out, it turns out that there already is a transmission cooler installed on this vehicle in the front, I'm thinking about upgrading to one twice it's size, the lines are already there so it'll be easy.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:19 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Please post pics of your work.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Disregard everything I've said, this is for future searchs to help others out, it turns out that there already is a transmission cooler installed on this vehicle in the front, I'm thinking about upgrading to one twice it's size, the lines are already there so it'll be easy.
Why do you want to swap it out? I tow in the desert and have never had a problem with temperature.
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (08-09-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Racer

I should have taken pics but I didn't, sorry. I used the largest B&M cooler 70274 which is twice the size of the oem cooler and it's bar and plate cooler vs the oem fin cooler. Bar and plate is more durable and cools more. I wanted to swap it out because I didn't think that little cooler would have done much, even with my new cooler installed it gets really hot, so you can only imagine how much hotter it is for one that's half the size.

I mounted the cooler towards the driver's side. Then I removed the stock cooler and hardlines which is only about 6-8 10mm bolts. Put barbed to barbed 3/8th fittings on each in/out line and clamped it to hoses leading into the transmission cooler. So overall I have a cooler that cools far better than the oem and double it's size for about $120. Very easy to install and it gives me a piece of mind. Oh I also installed a inline magnefine filter in the fluid return line which has a built in magnet and it filters! Read the reviews for them, it's great.

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 08-06-2012 at 07:18 AM.
kbweaver (05-05-2013)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I should have taken pics but I didn't, sorry. I used the largest B&M cooler 70274 which is twice the size of the oem cooler and it's bar and plate cooler vs the oem fin cooler. Bar and plate is more durable and cools more. I wanted to swap it out because I didn't think that little cooler would have done much, even with my new cooler installed it gets really hot, so you can only imagine how much hotter it is for one that's half the size.

I mounted the cooler towards the driver's side. Then I removed the stock cooler and hardlines which is only about 6-8 10mm bolts. Put barbed to barbed 3/8th fittings on each in/out line and clamped it to hoses leading into the transmission cooler. So overall I have a cooler that cools far better than the oem and double it's size for about $120. Very easy to install and it gives me a piece of mind. Oh I also installed a inline magnefine filter in the fluid return line which has a built in magnet and it filters! Read the reviews for them, it's great.
I think that you have just implemented a solution to a non existant problem for $120. I have not heard of any problems of an MDX getting hot while towing.
Size isn't everything - the cooler that your car had is very adequate for the task of towing within its prescribed limits.
Having said that, I do think that your changes are an improvement but if they are necessary then you are probably towing with the wrong vehicle.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Racer

I think the $120 is a great investment. I never said that it was a problem. The cooler is twice the size and far superior to cooling efficiency and durability, I rather have something that is better for piece of mind, a low cost to pay for prolonging the transmission. No it's not necessary but I rather be safer than sorry. Just like the pressure switches technically don't have a service mileage for them to be replaced but when then are, they make the transmission shift better and known to heal shifting issues.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Ole saying....If it works don't BUCK with it.....I doubt you plan to keep it for 20 years or so..I knew it had one as Acura listened to owners of the previous gen and certainly had to deal with issues for NOT having a cooler for the tranny.....the cost to repair all the failed transmissions was in the millions...I think what we have is more that sufficient!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I like the fact that the OEM one was made specifically for the X, not an off the shelf B&M model. I am sure Honda has put the OEM one through rigorous testing.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If the new one is a plate type heat exchanger as you suggest, it is more prone to plugging up with any sludge or particulate if you do not keep the fluid changed. I had a plate type heat exchanger installed in a boiler system in place of the original more expensive large tube-in-shell type. It was much cheaper and took up much less space, and was more efficient. But it acted like a filter due to the tight clearances between the plates, heated incoming fluid on one side of the plates and cool incoming fluid on the other. It plugged up because the plumber didn't clean out the inline filter soon enough. Was a major job taking it apart and cleaning it plus new o-rings between plates. Something to think about. Keep the fluid clean! Plate type heat exchangers are cheap and efficient but are not as reliable as tube-in-shell exchangers.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsturbo
I like the fact that the OEM one was made specifically for the X, not an off the shelf B&M model. I am sure Honda has put the OEM one through rigorous testing.
B&M are known to make quality coolers. Everything oem makes is not necessarily good, i.e. the transmission, the Z1 ATF fluid. If they put it through rigorous testing wouldn't you think they would put a transmission through rigorous testing as well and not have so many transmissin issues?

Originally Posted by larso1
If the new one is a plate type heat exchanger as you suggest, it is more prone to plugging up with any sludge or particulate if you do not keep the fluid changed. I had a plate type heat exchanger installed in a boiler system in place of the original more expensive large tube-in-shell type. It was much cheaper and took up much less space, and was more efficient. But it acted like a filter due to the tight clearances between the plates, heated incoming fluid on one side of the plates and cool incoming fluid on the other. It plugged up because the plumber didn't clean out the inline filter soon enough. Was a major job taking it apart and cleaning it plus new o-rings between plates. Something to think about. Keep the fluid clean! Plate type heat exchangers are cheap and efficient but are not as reliable as tube-in-shell exchangers.

Yes, I do plan on changing the fluid often as I find that's the only way to keep transmission issues at bay. Don't know what tube in shell exchangers mean but if your talking about tube fin, I would have to disagree, you are wrong. Google tube fin exchangers vs bar plate for LIQUID cooling, not air. Tube fin's are easily bent and the capacity is limited.

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 08-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Whatever, good luck
Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Whatever, I have been down the after market road for supposed increased performance numerous times with other vehicles and have found that, while maybe not always perfect, the factory knows best.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 08-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Whatever, I have been down the after market road for supposed increased performance numerous times with other vehicles and have found that, while maybe not always perfect, the factory knows best.
Exactly. They don't skimp on components that are likely to cause recalls or warranty issues. Engineers tend to over-engineer things to eliminate potential problems down the road...I know i do in the railroad R&D industry..
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by larso1
Whatever, good luck
Right back at ya.

"Whatever" I have been down the aftermarket road as well and agree that factory is stuff is always the best when it comes to fitment and quality. However, knowing that the transmission on Acura's are not as "quality" as one might think I think it's wise to protect this investment. I don't see how disconnecting two hoses and re-connecting them to a bigger cooler is an issue. As for the "factory knows best"? That's wrong, the factory items FIT best. If they know best they wouldn't of had 10 years worth of MDX and TL transmission failures would they? They wouldn't have had to of reformulated the Z1 ATF fluid would they? People (especially the TL) community thought that using the oem z1 fluid was the best and it was protecting their investment thinking "oem is best" until they had to get the tranny's rebuilt. The point of this thread was to help others out to let them know that this is an option that will help extend the life of their fluid and cooler temperatures which means the life of the transmission.

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 08-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Right back at ya.

"Whatever" I have been down the aftermarket road as well and agree that factory is stuff is always the best when it comes to fitment and quality. However, knowing that the transmission on Acura's are not as "quality" as one might think I think it's wise to protect this investment. I don't see how disconnecting two hoses and re-connecting them to a bigger cooler is an issue. As for the "factory knows best"? That's wrong, the factory items FIT best. If they know best they wouldn't of had 10 years worth of MDX and TL transmission failures would they? They wouldn't have had to of reformulated the Z1 ATF fluid would they? People (especially the TL) community thought that using the oem z1 fluid was the best and it was protecting their investment thinking "oem is best" until they had to get the tranny's rebuilt. The point of this thread was to help others out to let them know that this is an option that will help extend the life of their fluid and cooler temperatures which means the life of the transmission.
You are making a claim which you have no research or testing to prove your point. You think the b&m will improve transmission because it is larger, but that is simply a guess and marketing hype.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Racer

Yeah but think about it. Twice the mass and added fluid capacity, how would that not help alone. It's like having a radiator that's half the size, wouldn't you think it would benefit to a full size? The top reason transmissions fail are due to heat. Fact. The cooler keeps the fluid from breaking down as fast therefore longer lasting fluid properties meaning longer transmission life. I am not advertising for b&m. Don't believe me but newer fluid and cooler temps is one of the main reasons for a longer lasting trans, but I am not saying that it will make it bullet proof or run forever. Even if it is a "guess" I have more justification that it would benefit than yours of it being a "hype".

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 08-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

When you can show actual test results between the two as measured on an MDX, I might buy into your theory. The factory has put a lot more research into what is needed for the MDX than B&M could every dream of.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could adding a larger transmission cooler actually hurt the tranny? Only thinking that Honda figures the transmission will operate in a certain temperature range and that the tranny fluid will behave a certain way in that range. Usually petroleum based products become thinner with heat and thicker with cold so if you bring the "normal" operating temperature down and the fluid is thicker, could the transmission actually work harder. Kinda like putting to heavy of an oil weight in a motor?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Racer

When you can show actual test results between the two as measured on an MDX, I might buy into your theory. The factory has put a lot more research into what is needed for the MDX than B&M could every dream of.
I really don't care if you buy into my theory or not. Everyone has their own opinions, if you don't like it then why are you still here with your posts? I have given you quite a few examples and theories on how a bar/plate cooler is far superior, twice the cooling capacity with higher fluid capacity should be a great reason alone. Why don't you show actual results of the factory putting "a lot more research into what is needed for the MDX". If so why are transmissions still failing?

Your posts are worthless in this thread and is not even helping the community, "B&M could ever dream of" do you even know anything about cars or even pulled off your bumper to take a look? B&M doesn't make coolers specifically for Acura, they are universal for the most part, I chose this cooler because I've had luck with it on my previous Acura. So stop trying to knock B&M, even if I didn't use a B&M I bet your the type of troll to knock on whatever brand I post just to act like you know what your talking about. I never said oem isn't good. Again if you have read and had the ability to comprehend, oem offers great fitment and quality. But that doesn't mean it's efficient. The oem cooler probably is enough, but I'm suggesting to others that for $120ish you could have a bar/plate cooler with twice the cooling efficiency and durability which will be far better than the oem one and for the life of the transmission.

Originally Posted by sigp228
Could adding a larger transmission cooler actually hurt the tranny? Only thinking that Honda figures the transmission will operate in a certain temperature range and that the tranny fluid will behave a certain way in that range. Usually petroleum based products become thinner with heat and thicker with cold so if you bring the "normal" operating temperature down and the fluid is thicker, could the transmission actually work harder. Kinda like putting to heavy of an oil weight in a motor?
No, adding a transmission cooler (larger) can not hurt the tranny. The tranny is one of the very few things that you can overcool. In less than a minute after starting my car it got hot really quick, almost too hot to touch. Also the B&M has a bypass feature which if the fluid is not up to temp it will just bypass the cooling plates. Google the benefits of bar/plate coolers vs. fin coolers. I've been running it for quite sometime on my previous Acura with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 08-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

With a bypass then it would make sense.
usmarinedelta (08-13-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Cruisin'

I think cooling is important just wasn't sure if you could overdo it. I have heard of people changing their radiator thermostats to open at a lower temperature and that caused problems. At the end of this year or beginning of next year I have to trade the Xer for a minivan and I was looking into the tow packages for them and some do come with the cooler which makes them more expensive (due to labor) but worth it I suppose and I would think it would be sufficient if it was OEM. That being said, I also believe that sometimes the aftermarket can and does produce a better product. Better does not mean OEM is lower quality but that OEM usually engineers with a trade-off of cost vs. performance where as the aftermarket caters to the performance end as people will pay more for it. I still liked the fact that the MDX came with an ATF cooler whether you had the tow package or not even though I have never towed with it.
usmarinedelta (08-13-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I really don't care if you buy into my theory or not. Everyone has their own opinions, if you don't like it then why are you still here with your posts? I have given you quite a few examples and theories on how a bar/plate cooler is far superior, twice the cooling capacity with higher fluid capacity should be a great reason alone. Why don't you show actual results of the factory putting "a lot more research into what is needed for the MDX". If so why are transmissions still failing?

Your posts are worthless in this thread and is not even helping the community, "B&M could ever dream of" do you even know anything about cars or even pulled off your bumper to take a look? B&M doesn't make coolers specifically for Acura, they are universal for the most part, I chose this cooler because I've had luck with it on my previous Acura. So stop trying to knock B&M, even if I didn't use a B&M I bet your the type of troll to knock on whatever brand I post just to act like you know what your talking about. I never said oem isn't good. Again if you have read and had the ability to comprehend, oem offers great fitment and quality. But that doesn't mean it's efficient. The oem cooler probably is enough, but I'm suggesting to others that for $120ish you could have a bar/plate cooler with twice the cooling efficiency and durability which will be far better than the oem one and for the life of the transmission.

No, adding a transmission cooler (larger) can not hurt the tranny. The tranny is one of the very few things that you can overcool. In less than a minute after starting my car it got hot really quick, almost too hot to touch. Also the B&M has a bypass feature which if the fluid is not up to temp it will just bypass the cooling plates. Google the benefits of bar/plate coolers vs. fin coolers. I've been running it for quite sometime on my previous Acura with no issues whatsoever.
You are completely missing my point, the oem cooler is plenty sufficient for the X. It is made to exact specs specifically for the vehicle. The factory has done testing to ensure it performs exactly to Acura standards. Does bm do this? No.

Tout your theory all you want, but you do not need to be such a dick about it
Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You are completely missing my point, the oem cooler is plenty sufficient for the X. It is made to exact specs specifically for the vehicle. The factory has done testing to ensure it performs exactly to Acura standards. Does bm do this? No.

Is "performing to exact Acura standards" mean a bullet proof transmission? Honda is known to manufacture auto-tragic/glass transmissions. Extra cooling for the tranny can only help.
usmarinedelta (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Racer

First off, I have more points to suggest that this theory is more true than what your views have to offer. B&M's specialty is in engine/transmission cooling. If you don't want to believe it then don't, we get your point, why are you still here trying to argue? Tout your theory all you want, but you do not need be such an incompetent "person" and try to argue with no reasoning. Again why don't you prove that acura has done "extensive testing"? Until then I don't want to argue as I feel like I'm getting dumber by explaining the same things over. I'm not saying that this upgrade is required, it's only an "upgrade", the factory one may suffice but I know that this one is much better. I'll get down to your level one more time and say, go google bar/plate vs fin tube coolers as I did in the previous posts, go back and reread this thread....10 times.

How's a bar/plate cooler not better than the oem tube fin cooler that's twice the size and added fluid capacity?
Where's your evidence that acura has "extensive research"?......To some degree yes they have R&D on their products but their transmissions are known to have issues, even the newer 6 speed models. Bottom line until you answer those two questions I feel my theory is far from yours and have good logic. Again, besides your "acura knows best" theory, come up with something new with facts. Until then your response in plain terms, worthless and unjustified.

Originally Posted by princelybug
Is "performing to exact Acura standards" mean a bullet proof transmission? Honda is known to manufacture auto-tragic/glass transmissions. Extra cooling for the tranny can only help.
^^^^ x100 and Thank You.

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 08-15-2012 at 07:05 AM.
kbweaver (05-05-2013)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Racer

Ok folks, here are some pics of the install. As you can see the size difference is really noticeable. Also the durability of it is great, no rocks or dents can happen because it's not a fin cooler but a bar plate cooler. Attached to the out line is a Magnefine filter with a built in magnet that claims it doesn't affect flow. I know that these filters are the best and American car makers use these as oem.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
What about the surface area where it's blocking the engine radiator? I read through the thread, and I'm not convinced that this is a no-downside kind of upgrade.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Racer

What about it? The cooler is still flow through, air still passes through it to the radiator, the picture makes it look bigger than it really is.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Unbelievable! To put a heat exchanger (of that size) in front of the radiator and expect no consequences! For a test you should put a fan in front of that heat exchanger and use a velometer to see how much air flow there is through it vs no heat exchanger. You'll be surprised how restrictive it is. That's why they hang the stock trans cooler below the radiator. An air cooled heat exchanger is a major restriction to air flow... plus what exits on the back side will be elevated air temp, of course. It's like putting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator on cars in the dead of winter to get the coolant to heat up faster (usually on a vehicle with a bad thermostat). Is there data to prove that the stock transmission heat exchanger is inadequate? Seems like an answer to a problem that doesn't exist...
Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Instructor

I stand corrected on the location of the stock trans cooler. It does not sit below the radiator, it sits in front of the radiator on the lower passenger side as shown in the photo. However, it is much smaller than the after market unit shown and therefore less restrictive of air flow. Since it remains in place together with the new larger unit, I would feel very uneasy about the reduced air flow through the radiator. The health of the motor is more important than the trani, when you look at replacement costs. That's all i have to say on this subject, hopefully everything works out fine for you.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Racer

The heat exchanger has holes for the flow it doesn't look like it but it does, it looks like it's huge but it's really not that big. I haven't noticed anything (fans coming on more often) when sitting in traffic. I've also done a cooling mod which I learned from the TL side. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, pretty much it's taking the lower cowel from the windshield and dremeling out the front part that faces the front of the car to create a vacumm where air flows in and hot air flows out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=cooling+mod

Page 9 Post #339

Last edited by usmarinedelta; 09-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.