strange noise from right front

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange noise from right front

Hi guys. I own a 2010 MDX Elite with adjustable dampers. It has 98000 km, so roughly 60000 miles.

I'm having a strange unknown noise. When I turn left, I hear sometime, a small click-click-click from the right wheel or right corner. In other situation like turning right, it never happen. It never happen from the left side either....only from the right side, tuning left. It seems to happen more often when the right corner has some weight on, like turning at some speed, or downhill.

I bring the truck to the dealer, they changed both front swaybar bushings, but the noise stay there. I bring the MDX to an independent mechanics (a friend of mine), he mentions that it cannot be something else than the strut tower (shocks), because everything else is still very stiff. I changed both shocks (very expensive by the way, close to 1800$ for both installed), and the noise remained. Like I said, it's very tricky to make it happen, it's only in some specific conditions....

Could it be a link kit ? Maybe a wheel bearing ? What else ?

Any idea or clue is appreciated...
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The last time I've heard something like that in a similar driving situation (turns mostly) was a bad CV caused by a torn CV boot on my fwd Honda. Your CV boot doesn't have to be torn to be worn out.

It doesn't sound like a bad magnetic strut. I just changed out both front magnetic struts on my 11 MDX last summer. It was making a knocking noise at low speeds when the suspension went over bump/dips. I didn't hear the sound as much at speed or turns (unless the suspension was rebounding on a low speed turn). At first, the Acura tech found a torn boot on the front endlink and replace both front endlinks. The sound went away for about 2-week and returned at the same level. When the sound returned, Acura replace the struts and the sound hasn't return (yet).

It could be a bad endlink also since you hear it on turns; but, those things are usually lifetime (assuming no damage to the boot).
Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the answer, I'll ask my mechanic to check the CV joint for my next visit. He told me that he checked, but maybe too quickly....
Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
it sounds like the axle. the outer CV joint is going bad. the boot does not need to be torn for the axle to click during turns.

my TL had the infamous click at a mere 42k miles. both axles were replaced at 50k miles (the other axle had an inner CV joint going bad).

rattles can occur if the endlinks go out or loose, not clicking and will usually occur with going into driveways or speed humps.

your click makes sense that it is most likely the axle because you are stressing that particular axle as the weight of the heavy MDX shifts to it.

shocks going out will make a thump as it is bottoming out....
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (02-08-2015)