Should my search for a 2G 'X' Advance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Should my search for a 2G 'X' Advance?

Hey guys,
I'm usually on the 3G TL side of the forum, but I've posted here and there regarding the 2G refreshed 'X' on another thread on my search.

I have started looking for an Advance model within my budget and it's been close to a month already, and there were a few I was ready to purchase, but get sold before I go out and see them.

I am only a single guy, no kids, no debt, pretty good credit profile as in above 720, and most of all I am working in a field I majored in so hope to make more money.

After every online posting for a car I go see or plan to, these MDXs get sold. And the color combination and trim package are becoming more difficult, and I'm thinking I should just not get an X and go with a midsize truck.

I was ready to do the paperwork on a 2010 Advance (w/ 37k miles) for $27k at the Lexus Escondido in San Diego, and drove 3 hours to see it and get it, but as I was checking it out, my main internet contact walked me to the suv parked up front then left inside with another customer and would come back shortly. Well not even 20 mins. later another sales guy told me I needed to exit the car because it was already sold. I was furious that the guy didn't come back to tell me the car was sold, and I felt foolish checking the car out, inside and out only to be told to get out since it was sold.

I was confused and upset at once, I decided if this is how they run their fancy dealership then they suck. So I just told him that I don't wish to do any business with your dealership for my next vehicle and give my regards to my internet contact who didn't have the decency to come out and tell me himself the suv sold.

Looking at 2010-2011, possible 2012 MDXs or 2013-2014 Taco 4dr TRD Sport.

Max $31k BUDGET which will be financed through local credit union.

I have 3-4 different Acura Dealers searching for the color, trim and price point for me, all owned from different automotive groups and still no word from them.

If I do compromise and go with a lower trim like the Tech package are these still a good buy?

I already have a buyer for my 3G TL and plan to get it sold within the next week, so I will be car-less.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:32 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Unless you need the extra room. The ZDX Adv or Tech is pretty much a coupe/sedan version of the MDX with better mpgs, sweet interior styling, same Acura/Honda reliability, and a cheaper price. You should be able to find a tech or Adv models in the upper 20s or very low 30s for the 2010-2011 model year depending on mileage. The ZDX driving experience would be closer to your current TL compared to the MDX. Once I am done with my MDX payment next year, I'm looking for a ZDX Adv to replace my RDX as a daily driver.

My 11 MDX was a corporate lease return. There should be 12 Models coming off lease now and next year (13 off lease in 2015/2016). So there should be a steady stream of MDX's available for the next 18-24 months IF you have the time. I would try and look for an MDX (or ZDX) under 50,000 miles and still has the basic 4yr/50,000 mile warranty available if you are committed at looking for the Adv model. Since Jan/14 I had to:

- replaced both of my front endlinks on the front stabilizer bar because of a torn boot on one
- replaced both front magnetic shocks because of knocking over bumps/dips
- replace center arm rest cup holder in 2nd row because it was stuck closed
- adjusted HID headlights
- got an alignment, it was way off. The MDX rides so much better afterwards.
- passenger side puddle lights under door were not working
- replaced OEM tires because they were about 5/32nd and had a lot of cracks in the sidewalls
- replaced driver 1 key fob because the buttons took 2-3 times to respond
- 6AT reflash (which helped with mpgs)

Everything (except the alignment and tires) was covered by the warranty. If I had to pay out-of-pocket, it would have been +$3500 for repairs (endlinks/shocks biggest expense). The cost to me was just time for my MDX because of the basic warranty. I would go for any mileage if you are looking for a tech model MDX/ZDX. It would of been minimal cost if my MDX was the tech model; but, the Adv tech is soooo nice to have and I think it was worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (11-17-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Unless you need the extra room. The ZDX Adv or Tech is pretty much a coupe/sedan version of the MDX with better mpgs, sweet interior styling, same Acura/Honda reliability, and a cheaper price. You should be able to find a tech or Adv models in the upper 20s or very low 30s for the 2010-2011 model year depending on mileage. The ZDX driving experience would be closer to your current TL compared to the MDX. Once I am done with my MDX payment next year, I'm looking for a ZDX Adv to replace my RDX as a daily driver.

My 11 MDX was a corporate lease return. There should be 12 Models coming off lease now and next year (13 off lease in 2015/2016). So there should be a steady stream of MDX's available for the next 18-24 months IF you have the time. I would try and look for an MDX (or ZDX) under 50,000 miles and still has the basic 4yr/50,000 mile warranty available if you are committed at looking for the Adv model. Since Jan/14 I had to:

- replaced both of my front endlinks on the front stabilizer bar because of a torn boot on one
- replaced both front magnetic shocks because of knocking over bumps/dips
- replace center arm rest cup holder in 2nd row because it was stuck closed
- adjusted HID headlights
- got an alignment, it was way off. The MDX rides so much better afterwards.
- passenger side puddle lights under door were not working
- replaced OEM tires because they were about 5/32nd and had a lot of cracks in the sidewalls
- replaced driver 1 key fob because the buttons took 2-3 times to respond
- 6AT reflash (which helped with mpgs)

Everything (except the alignment and tires) was covered by the warranty. If I had to pay out-of-pocket, it would have been +$3500 for repairs (endlinks/shocks biggest expense). The cost to me was just time for my MDX because of the basic warranty. I would go for any mileage if you are looking for a tech model MDX/ZDX. It would of been minimal cost if my MDX was the tech model; but, the Adv tech is soooo nice to have and I think it was worth it.
I tried to find an Advance ZDX but they have over 50k miles for the 2010-2011 years and/or they come in a color I want which all MDX with advance or Tech/Advance ZDXs have black exterior or interior. No more basic warranty or even extended Acura Care eligibility.

I dislike the color black for both interior and exterior. My mom has a 2010 Rav4 in black and its such a pain to keep it clean. So rather then noticing swirl marks I decided to go with a lighter color since my 3G TL is sort of dark.

But I wanted the MDX for cargo space and the utility of having a 3rd row. But if I cannot find one soon, I'll just find a mid-size truck as my second choice. But I would sacrifice leather seats, power, interior quality and navigation(I use it more then I expected).

I really like the Advance upgrades especially the soft grained Napa perforated leather seats and safety tech you'll find on new cars. I wanted to use some of the amount from selling my car down, and the remaining on the Acura Care Warranty.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thats funny, I was about to go look at that Escondido Mdx also but decided against the light interior. I am also looking around for either an MDX or ZDX advance, just because the magnetic suspension is so much better. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knv8
Thats funny, I was about to go look at that Escondido Mdx also but decided against the light interior. I am also looking around for either an MDX or ZDX advance, just because the magnetic suspension is so much better. Good luck with your search.
Thats what I want is a light interior. All other advance or tech packaged MDXs have black interior and black exterior so I really do despise that color. I want my next car to be white, but its so hard.

I'm just about ready to give up, I even increase distance in hopes of finding something in my price range. I may just go with a bronze color MDX Tech one, since that is my next color choice which makes it also hard to locate.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I think they introduced greystone as an interior color option for all the +12 models. Depending on how long you have to purchase, you might start seeing this pop up in your search. Most non-Acura dealerships don't know what to call it and it is hard to figure out the color in thumbnails pics. I have this color in my TSX and it is a very good interior choice if parchment or taupe is still too light for you.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-18-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Acura_Dude (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^Your mdx is so nice. I know I've said it before, but I like it.
mrgold35 (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think they introduced greystone as an interior color option for all the +12 models. Depending on how long you have to purchase, you might start seeing this pop up in your search. Most non-Acura dealerships don't know what to call it and it is hard to figure out the color in thumbnails pics. I have this color in my TSX and it is a very good interior choice if parchment or taupe is still too light for you.
I'll take parchment, umber or Taupe for interior but never Ebony. Same for exterior, I just love lighter interior color pallets, which many hate due to cleaning.

But the way I see it is the carpets and leather can easily be cleaned with proper products well a Black color exterior requires more cleaning and possible expensive detailing. I am more comfortable cleaning inside then out on my own than using powered tools to get rid of swirl marks.

I dont know why I dislike ebony or black leather so much. I just cant see myself owning a car with black leather seats or black paint job.

My search continues for my next big purchase, but seems for a close to 50k MDX sold during its generation each year. Finding the right one for me is hard work and active internet searching.

My back up plan for a 14 TRD 4dr Taco that was a pre-owned in the very unique brown/green color has sold and no others listed for the same color.

QUESTION:
Did Acura upgrade their leather quality in the 2010+? I've checked out 08-09 Tech models and their leather felt cheap.
But with the tech and advance packaged MDX past refreshed the leather felt so much more softer and nice looking. (yes I know the longer the leather is without proper cleaning body oils make it look

I tried checking to see what the refreshed MDX improvements were but just mentioned Napa leather(no specific trim level).

Last edited by MandoTL; 11-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.