Roof Rails Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rails Question

What percentage of MDX's come with roof rails? Are they hard to install?

I noticed while looking for a 2012 that about 70% or so DON'T have roof rails. I just want to know if it should be something that I am looking out for as a plus.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
My MDX did not have roof rails or trailer hitch. It seemed about 10% had roof rails and about 20%-30% had OEM/aftermarket trailer hitches on them. For one reason or another, I did not like those particular MDXs (color combo, mileage, price, etc...). I concentrated on the items that I couldn't change like:
- mileage
- color combo
- model
- year
- condition/maint issues
- distance from my location

I can always add the roof rail; but, I can't roll back the mileage. I had a cargo box from my RDX I used on my MDX and it came in handy from my trip to Houston/Galveston in July. The only issue I ran into was the roof box made the MDX too tall for parking garages and I had to call ahead to make sure that wasn't an issue. A trailer hitch with a cargo tray might serve the same purpose at a cheaper price. I use my trailer hitch for bikes, so I needed the roof rack for cargo box.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My MDX did not have roof rails or trailer hitch. It seemed about 10% had roof rails and about 20%-30% had OEM/aftermarket trailer hitches on them. For one reason or another, I did not like those particular MDXs (color combo, mileage, price, etc...). I concentrated on the items that I couldn't change like:
- mileage
- color combo
- model
- year
- condition/maint issues
- distance from my location

I can always add the roof rail; but, I can't roll back the mileage. I had a cargo box from my RDX I used on my MDX and it came in handy from my trip to Houston/Galveston in July. The only issue I ran into was the roof box made the MDX too tall for parking garages and I had to call ahead to make sure that wasn't an issue. A trailer hitch with a cargo tray might serve the same purpose at a cheaper price. I use my trailer hitch for bikes, so I needed the roof rack for cargo box.
So did you like Houston? It's funny cause we drove to ABQ and Santa Fe for Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the info. I hope I can find a low miles 2012 Advance in Grey soon. Tired of driving my hybrid.

So is it difficult to install the roof rack afterwards?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Installing the roof rack was way above my expertise level, I let the dealership do it. I also wanted the plain black roof rack and some MDXs had the silver ones; which, I didn't like. Going to a stock MDX worked best for me since I could put the aftermarket parts I wanted.

There is still a supply of aftermarket/OEM parts; but, supplies are drying up since the +14 models are out. Acura already discontinued some OEM parts in certain colors for my TSX and RDX. I would suggest "biting the bullet" and order OEM accessories when you get your MDX sooner compared to later. You can always keep the part in the garage until you are ready to install at the dealership or at home down the road.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Had the silver roof rails installed on my 2010 MDX when I bought it new. Got OEM parts from an online Acura store and saved some money. Got my independent mechanic to install it and saved even more money compared with going to the dealer. No regrets, really like my roof rails.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NJ06RL
Had the silver roof rails installed on my 2010 MDX when I bought it new. Got OEM parts from an online Acura store and saved some money. Got my independent mechanic to install it and saved even more money compared with going to the dealer. No regrets, really like my roof rails.
Excellent!
Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
If you are not going to use them, do not get them. Some say you get reduced MPG's when cross bars installed, it's harder to dry and to wax with them on, wish I wouldn't have gotten them, but at the time we thought we might put a rack up there if we were to go camping, hasn't happen yet.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tsturbo
If you are not going to use them, do not get them. Some say you get reduced MPG's when cross bars installed, it's harder to dry and to wax with them on, wish I wouldn't have gotten them, but at the time we thought we might put a rack up there if we were to go camping, hasn't happen yet.
Well, why would I have the crossbars on them unless I intend to use them? If not, I would take them off and have just have the rails. I seriously doubt just the rails would impact mpg.

I'm not the type of person that has crossbars installed all the time unless they are there for a purpose such as fitting a box to the car etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never intended to tow, and I probably never will, but a hitch can be helpful. I put a swing out step for my St Bernard (also helpful for shorter people accessing anything on the roof rack), and you can use it for a bike rack, light storage for tailgating, or whatever.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That being said, I added an aftermarket hitch myself, though in all honesty, I was a bit overwhelmed for a bit and kinda wish it were already there.