New MDX Owner!!! Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Smile New MDX Owner!!! Finally!

Hello,
So I am no stranger to the Azine forums, but the MDX side is not as active.

Well in any case, I just picked up a 2011 Grigio Metallic MDX w/Tech.
It is a CPO with 36k miles. Drove 46 miles to find it and pick it up.

I got it for 31k OTD which compared to similar comps usually at 34-35 OTD in CA is pretty darn good and I feel I got a good deal so thats all that matters.

It already has the Advance running boards, new tires and drives so much differently than my TL. I've been looking for an MDX in my price range and this one fit the bill, I'm still trying to like the gray color, never owned one before but I'm sure once I get silver roof rails on it will look much better.

Driving it is much taller than my TL and power doesn't come on as quickly as I like unless I really floor it, not sure if that is normal for such a heavy suv with 300HP. The tranny is still something I'm trying to get it use too since it has 6 gears rather than my TL's 5 speed auto.

The tailgate feature is awesome, I love the LED lighting and overall size and yes Bluetooth Streaming. No more tape adapter!!
I anticipated the less gas mileage compared to my TL, but driving my mom's 03 GMC envoy for a year which was 15/18 mpg city and highway in San Diego I managed to maximize fuel savings to avoid the gas station. I see the MDX the same way by driving like a grandpa then and once in a while let the ponies come out.

I will post photos tomorrow. I am overall satisfied with my X and now time to part ways from my TL.

FYI, I am a single guy, no kids, working and financing on my own. BUT the utility, luxury, and reliability and the fact that the 2G MDX is my dream suv all helped my decision.

Last edited by MandoTL; 12-04-2014 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (12-07-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Congrats on your new baby!!

The power does come on more gradually, even with the 6AT. I also think the MDX is more isolated with more sound deadening materials and up a level in quality/luxury compared to the TL/TSX/RDX. You can be up pass 80 mph when the vtec kicks in before you realize. I usually get around 14-15 mpg with 100% city driving. Usually 17-18 mpgs combined with 50%-60% hwy and about +21 mpg with hwy at 80 mph.

I'm taking my MDX to CA for the first time after X-Mas to visit my Bro. I'll make sure to honk when I pass you on the hwy.
Acura_Dude (12-07-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you will be very happy with it.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Congrats on your new baby!!

The power does come on more gradually, even with the 6AT. I also think the MDX is more isolated with more sound deadening materials and up a level in quality/luxury compared to the TL/TSX/RDX. You can be up pass 80 mph when the vtec kicks in before you realize. I usually get around 14-15 mpg with 100% city driving. Usually 17-18 mpgs combined with 50%-60% hwy and about +21 mpg with hwy at 80 mph.

I'm taking my MDX to CA for the first time after X-Mas to visit my Bro. I'll make sure to honk when I pass you on the hwy.
The who experience buying a newer SUV for that much money, yes I have great credit so it was a mixture of emotions there, fear, anxious, excitement, and luck to find one.

The sales guy at the Center Acura was absolutely great, he was not pushy at all, along with the Financial manager was tough to work with to get my budget of 31K OTD but I got it. The warranty clerk helped answer any warranty or imperfections I had when I test drove it.

I did mention the tranny shifted funky during test drive and told her I have done extensive research on the MDX and that owners mentioned they took it in for a software reflash of the tranny/TC system.

Warranty Clerk said she never heard of such a thing, but if there were an issue with the tranny, I could bring it in since its still covered under basic warranty.

But since its a CPO my basic warranty is 5yrs. or 62,000 miles from new car purchase date. It was a personal lease vehicle and the Carfax had so many service records of all basic oil changes and fluid changes. But it was in 3k intervals.

I plan to use synthetic like my TL rather than conventional since I would hate to keep returning every 3k miles and pay what 50-60 at dealer.

I will try my best to take it to my local dealer, but I am not on good terms with them, last experience was not great.
------------------
They did offer an extended warranty for comprehensive.
Full term 8yr. or 100k miles compreh = $2,350

But If I bought right at purchase, it gets automatic discounted since its CPO and I told clerk that Im a Costco member and receive 15 % off service/parts. So she was able to offer $1700 for the extended warranty.

I told her no thanks, if you say this SUV and Acura brand is known for reliability then I see no reason to get an extended warranty since I can fix items myself by buying a Service Manual.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Good for you, congratulations!

I have a '10 Grigio MDX w/tech we picked up this past August with 65K on the ODO for $24K OTD. I also have a '12 TL SH-AWD w/tech I bought new in Oct. '11 that just turned 34K on the ODO. No comparison between acceleration and handling, however compared to other SUV's the MDX is an absolute beast.

My big complaint with the X is fuel economy but it could be worse. Once she's rolling power delivery is good. Starting from a standstill is her biggest weakness. The transmission likes to shift to 2nd almost immediately - I like to drive with the paddles in town in S mode for more control, which doesn't help my MPG either but makes for a lot more fun

As for noise mitigation there isn't much difference at all between our X and the TL cabins. The stereo in my TL is far superior to the X - both are ELS, but the TL blows away the X, maybe different speakers or just the acoustics of being a larger vehicle. Also the FM antenna on the X must be in a bad location, I get lots of static anytime the defrosters, front or back, are running. The X backup camera SUCKS in the dark, the TL may have the best backup camera I've ever had in a vehicle.

I do love the comfort of the X on long drives - the angle of the seats and being higher off the ground must be better for blood flow in the legs or something - after a 4 hour drive in the X I don't feel tired or cramped, while after even an hour in the TL I need to do some stretching.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Good for you, congratulations!

I have a '10 Grigio MDX w/tech we picked up this past August with 65K on the ODO for $24K OTD. I also have a '12 TL SH-AWD w/tech I bought new in Oct. '11 that just turned 34K on the ODO. No comparison between acceleration and handling, however compared to other SUV's the MDX is an absolute beast.

My big complaint with the X is fuel economy but it could be worse. Once she's rolling power delivery is good. Starting from a standstill is her biggest weakness. The transmission likes to shift to 2nd almost immediately - I like to drive with the paddles in town in S mode for more control, which doesn't help my MPG either but makes for a lot more fun

As for noise mitigation there isn't much difference at all between our X and the TL cabins. The stereo in my TL is far superior to the X - both are ELS, but the TL blows away the X, maybe different speakers or just the acoustics of being a larger vehicle. Also the FM antenna on the X must be in a bad location, I get lots of static anytime the defrosters, front or back, are running. The X backup camera SUCKS in the dark, the TL may have the best backup camera I've ever had in a vehicle.

I do love the comfort of the X on long drives - the angle of the seats and being higher off the ground must be better for blood flow in the legs or something - after a 4 hour drive in the X I don't feel tired or cramped, while after even an hour in the TL I need to do some stretching.
Yes this right here is what makes me weary of the 6AT and maybe needs the reflash that many other owners were able to receive and have fixed it and increased mpg by a tiny amount. The 1-4 gears shift like one after another when I accelerate slowly at less than half throttle and it sort of kicks you back in your seat.

I mean I haven't read of the 2010+ models having failures of TQ or trannies but its still early in its life. I just want to make sure the AT is working properly.

So for those of you owners who have gone in for warranty work, how does it work. Do you call in to schedule appt. or speak to warranty clerk at dealer or just drive up and say fix it?

This is all new to me, and that was one area that the warranty clerk didnt really go into detail. She just said if there is a problem bring it back, but thats an hr. drive to the place I bought it from and rather go to my local one.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I purchased my extended warranty on-line from Acura one state over. I got a warranty card and number if I need to use it at the dealership. I assumed the extended warranty would be good for any Acura and Honda dealerships; but, it only good for Acura only. Your warranty should have road side assistance and towing. If you need it, they could tow you to an Acura dealership.

You still have the 4yr/50,000 basic warranty that will kick in first. I had to call Acura warranty and give them my VIN to find out when my MDX basic warranty would expire and it was Jan/15. Depending on the problem, the powertrain 6yr/70,000 might pay next. After that, the CPO would take over for the items covered by that warranty. I think the CPO/Extended warranties are limited compared to the 4yr/50,000. My extended warranty does not cover the HIDs (burnt out bulbs, UV damage, condensation) or wearable items like brakes (rotors, calipers, lines); while the basic warranty does. Between my TSX, RDX and MDX, about 95% of my issues were covered by basic, powertrain, TSB, and Acura extended warranties. I think I paid about less than $750 out of pocket for non-warranty issues for all 3 vehicles in the last +8 yrs (mostly for my 08 RDX).

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-06-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:38 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
OP you can take just take your car in and tell them to fix it. based on the car's age and the CPO...your warranty will take care of most of the issues. you should not have to take it back to the dealer you purchased from.

i've had a a good number of warranty items taken care of without mentioning warranty. the dealer already knows this info (at least they should if the SA is detail oriented about your records). i have a great relationship with my dealer so they know me and my cars well.

your MDX will definitely be least satisfying in the immediate acceleration dept. 4500 pounds is a lot to pull compared to your TL. i still have my TL and it still brings me great joy to drive. the MDX will be a nice addition for road trips and a lot more comfortable. handling won't be as nimble as your TL, BUT for the size and weight of the MDX it's very surprising to see how well it does handle (the MDX wants to handle like a sedan...gotta love SHAWD).

enjoy the new ride!
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
Acura_Dude (12-07-2014), NBP04TL4ME (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 AM

^^^^^ Exactly!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Congrats MandoTL!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:39 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new purchase! I just purchased a 2012 MDX. This is my first Acura and I know it's going to be a great car!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
OP you can take just take your car in and tell them to fix it. based on the car's age and the CPO...your warranty will take care of most of the issues. you should not have to take it back to the dealer you purchased from.

i've had a a good number of warranty items taken care of without mentioning warranty. the dealer already knows this info (at least they should if the SA is detail oriented about your records). i have a great relationship with my dealer so they know me and my cars well.

your MDX will definitely be least satisfying in the immediate acceleration dept. 4500 pounds is a lot to pull compared to your TL. i still have my TL and it still brings me great joy to drive. the MDX will be a nice addition for road trips and a lot more comfortable. handling won't be as nimble as your TL, BUT for the size and weight of the MDX it's very surprising to see how well it does handle (the MDX wants to handle like a sedan...gotta love SHAWD).

enjoy the new ride!
Thank you!!!
I never experienced the SH-AWD and whoa its something to get use too. I actually just sold my TL yesterday, but a neighbor down the street ended up buying it. I think something is wrong with my 6AT, city driving the 1-4 gears shift so jerky on light acceleration it feels like something is wrong.
--

I was literally heart broken, I never knew I would be so attached to a car when I saw the new owner drive away with it. It was a bittersweet moment, as I had my dream vehicle in my driveway, but my reliable DD that was driven throughout my college years was now gone.

I let it go for $7,500, it had 164k miles and still kicking with no tranny slippage. Neighbor said it was in great shape and drove really well for its age and miles.

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
^^^^^ Exactly!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Congrats MandoTL!
Thank You.

Originally Posted by ellebandit
Congrats on your new purchase! I just purchased a 2012 MDX. This is my first Acura and I know it's going to be a great car!
Nice!! Congrats on your purchase as well.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I knew I would have to deal with some rattles o issues.

So after a short trip to L.A.

-My center armrest cupholder in second row is stuck.
-Rear right door is creaking really bad/possible door adjustment
-Really rappy bassy songs, a rattle off front passenger side door is noticeable
-Rattle in the B pillar on driver side height adjustment mechanism
-3rd row buckle latch wont release.
-Cup cover in front seats is really hard to slide back and forth.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by MandoTL
I knew I would have to deal with some rattles o issues.

So after a short trip to L.A.

-My center armrest cupholder in second row is stuck.
-Rear right door is creaking really bad/possible door adjustment
-Really rappy bassy songs, a rattle off front passenger side door is noticeable
-Rattle in the B pillar on driver side height adjustment mechanism
-3rd row buckle latch wont release.
-Cup cover in front seats is really hard to slide back and forth.
does the door creak when you open it? if so may just need some grease.

that rattle with the bass...blown speaker, most likely. my driver's side front door speaker is shot...i will be replacing the front door speakers this weekend and adding some sound deadening to my doors since i have the panels off.

B pillar...don't know. could also be ticking from the outer door trim (TSB for it).

3rd row buckle??

my front cup holder cover is a little "sticky"...not smooth like the TL.

RE: your TL...at least you'll get to check in on your old ride from time to time since your neighbor has it.

SINCE you are still under warranty i would just have the dealer address all these issues.

my CPO B2B expired, so anything goes wonky, i get to hunt it down and decide what i want to do to fix it. so far so good. the speaker...is annoying me. hopefully if all goes as planned i'll have everything installed and enjoy my tunes again.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
does the door creak when you open it? if so may just need some grease.

that rattle with the bass...blown speaker, most likely. my driver's side front door speaker is shot...i will be replacing the front door speakers this weekend and adding some sound deadening to my doors since i have the panels off.

B pillar...don't know. could also be ticking from the outer door trim (TSB for it).

3rd row buckle??

my front cup holder cover is a little "sticky"...not smooth like the TL.

RE: your TL...at least you'll get to check in on your old ride from time to time since your neighbor has it.

SINCE you are still under warranty i would just have the dealer address all these issues.

my CPO B2B expired, so anything goes wonky, i get to hunt it down and decide what i want to do to fix it. so far so good. the speaker...is annoying me. hopefully if all goes as planned i'll have everything installed and enjoy my tunes again.
I heard it when I first test drove it and checked it out before buying. I told them to fix it as it didn't sound good at all. When I bought it and picked it up, the door was greased slightly, but after a few days it creaked again.

So the inner clamp in the door where the door hook enters that has the different stops. Hope that made sense well when I slowly close the door it creaks really loud. The other doors do not do that.

--
As for rattle sound, hmm it works fine for regular songs, but when I heard a bass heavy rap song it was an annoying rattle shake in the door.

--
Yes, my TL faced the same issue with the hight adjuster in the B pillar. No matter what height the small rattle was heard.

--
The 3rd row belt that attaches to the latch. You know how you can unlatch the middle second row seatbelt. Well the 3rd row seat buckle is stuck and I read through the manual to see how to unlatch it from the buckle and no go.
--
I hope the cup cover doesnt break, my TLs never did so just hope it wont have any other issues.

How do you ask about TSB to the dealer, I know they do recall work and even though my SUV is under warranty, trying to find the source of the rattle or issue on the 1st try is always hard. They seem to stop when the SA tries to get the tech to find it.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. I own the exact same 2011 MDX and love the Grigio color. I also have an 08 TL-S. I think for a big truck the MDX moves pretty quick and its handling is superb. Easier to steer than my TL. I do not experience any jerkiness when shifting so you should have it checked out for sure.
I was told by the dealer to use 0-20 oil which I believe is a synthetic blend. He said the MDX doesn't NEED synthetic and going by the MID I probably wouldn't need an oil change for like 7000 miles (which for me is like a year).
I paid a little less for mine than you with the same mileage, certified.
No running boards on mine but other than that the car was/is spotless.
Love this truck, in many ways more than my TL-S, but when I want a speed rush and want to experience the happiness of driving a manual, my TL-S is first out of the garage.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 PM

How do you ask about TSB to the dealer, I know they do recall work and even though my SUV is under warranty, trying to find the source of the rattle or issue on the 1st try is always hard. They seem to stop when the SA tries to get the tech to find it.
If you are aware of the TSB, I would give them the TSB number or simply print it and hand it to the SA. At least for me it seems I am more informed about what the issue is when going to the dealer, but admittedly, I spend more time researching and diagnosing my issues first.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Congrats on the new truck. I own the exact same 2011 MDX and love the Grigio color. I also have an 08 TL-S. I think for a big truck the MDX moves pretty quick and its handling is superb. Easier to steer than my TL. I do not experience any jerkiness when shifting so you should have it checked out for sure.
I was told by the dealer to use 0-20 oil which I believe is a synthetic blend. He said the MDX doesn't NEED synthetic and going by the MID I probably wouldn't need an oil change for like 7000 miles (which for me is like a year).
I paid a little less for mine than you with the same mileage, certified.
No running boards on mine but other than that the car was/is spotless.
Love this truck, in many ways more than my TL-S, but when I want a speed rush and want to experience the happiness of driving a manual, my TL-S is first out of the garage.
I take it the 6AT doesnt like to be city driven as the gears are shifting at different low rpms(e.g. 1000-2300rpm) on half or less than half throttle and it creates this jerk feeling. I do not like it at all and it's worrying me.

I have my appt. for all issues I am having so far but the 6AT is the one I am concerned with since it just doesn't seem smooth. I'll be sure to mention it to my SA.

Once I'm past 40 mph it drives so smooth and powerful on the highway. I never realized how quickly it can pick up, but still not as fast as my TL, which makes me miss that car as time passes on.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's my MDX!! Christmas gift to myself.

When I went MDX searching, the dealer had both PMM and Grigio right next to each other, the PMM looked very light gray and boring to me.
The Grigio had a light brown shade at certain angle and sunlight setting. I thought I got a PMM but the sales rep. told me it was Grigio since the keys had the car info and it said polish.

Last edited by MandoTL; 12-11-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Acura_Dude (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I take it the 6AT doesnt like to be city driven as the gears are shifting at different low rpms(e.g. 1000-2300rpm) on half or less than half throttle and it creates this jerk feeling. I do not like it at all and it's worrying me.

I have my appt. for all issues I am having so far but the 6AT is the one I am concerned with since it just doesn't seem smooth. I'll be sure to mention it to my SA.

Once I'm past 40 mph it drives so smooth and powerful on the highway. I never realized how quickly it can pick up, but still not as fast as my TL, which makes me miss that car as time passes on.
Not as fast as the TL, but handles better, looks better and is more comfortable IMO. The 3rd Gen TL looks dated to me, even my TL-S(although to a lesser extent) looks a bit dated. The 2G MDX looks awesome, nothing quite like it on the road. Aggressive, yet classy. To me its one of the best looking SUV's on the market, even with all the new models out.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

just did the front door speaker replacement...yeah...that crappy ticking rattling sound was definitely the speaker...the cone delaminated from the frame. and WOW what a crappy speaker. smallest driver i've ever seen. did some sound deadening in the front doors and installed the new speakers...ahh...so much better. it makes the rest of the speakers sound like crap (flat and muddled bass in the stock speakers).

TSBs...find out which one, print it or kindly ask them about it. some service depts are on top of their games...others not so much. the shop foremans tend to be a bit more informed than the techs.
Acura_Dude (12-16-2014)