How long do your tires last

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
How long do your tires last

Hi All. I have a 2008 MDX that I purchased brand new about 2.5 years ago. The car has been great, I couldn't have made a better choice. Anyway, the original tires are still on the car and have almost 57000 miles on them. I think I can get another 5-10k out of them too. Anyway, I'm wondering, is that about what everyone is getting mileage wise out of their tires?

Also, to replace my tires with the same Michelin Latitudes that came with the car is almost $1300 ($1100 for tires plus $100 for alignment and $20 per corner to mount and balance). I think thats pretty steep. What have you guys been replacing with? I was on tire rack and they have some options that fit OEM specs anywhere from $500 - $1200. Can anyone recommend any replacements they've been happy with? Kinda torn on what to get next, replace with oem or try another brand such as goodyear or yokohama.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have not changed mines yet, but have been researching already. based on good feedback and reviews, I have narrowed my choices to either General Grabbers or Continental DWS. Before I make my decision, I would like to know though how those mentioned have affected their mpg.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Racer

Thanks Dom. I just decided to go with Bridgestone Dueler HL/400 which have the same exact specs as the factory issue Michellin Latitudes. The dealer wants $287 per tire, plus 20$ mount and balance each, and $100 for alignment. thats almost $1300. I just called my Firestone dealer and they I had liked these tires anyway from researching them on the net and they offered 4 x the Dueler HL/400s mounted and balanced for $955 including tax. Not bad. There are cheaper options out there but i'd rather get a good tire at a fair price then a cheaper tire at a cheaper price and not feel totally confident about my purchase. After i get them installed i'll post initial impressions.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
"I just decided to go with Bridgestone Dueler HL/400 which have the same exact specs as the factory issue Michellin Latitudes. I just called my Firestone dealer and they I had liked these tires anyway from researching them on the net and they offered 4 x the Dueler HL/400s mounted and balanced for $955 including tax. Not bad. "

That last price sounds about right. I recently had four Bridgestone Dueller HL/400's put on my '08. At Discount Tire, $994 includes 4 certs for free replacement, waste disposal/environmental fees, lifetime balance and repairs and 4 TPMS rebuild kits. No alignment however. Only 3K miles on them so can't speak to wear. If you got 57K out of your originals, that's almost double what ours got.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The Duelers are the same that come on the Base MDX. I don't hear good things about them. I can't confirm it since I don't own them, but I read about bad performance and traction on wet pavement and snow, noisy after a few thousand miles, fast wear.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dominik331
The Duelers are the same that come on the Base MDX. I don't hear good things about them. I can't confirm it since I don't own them, but I read about bad performance and traction on wet pavement and snow, noisy after a few thousand miles, fast wear.
I read it both ways. People that have good SUVs with full time AWD dont' seem to have a problem. People that drive Muranos and RAV4s that don't always have full time AWD or AWD at all seem to be the ones complaining, in particular, Toyota owners. I'll give them a try and see how they do. Spec wise they compare to the Michellins OEM I have.

I was reading on some sites the reviews of the Michellin latitudes which our cars come with and people were dogging them, however i have never once had an issue with them. They are a good tire but I don't feel like paying $1300 for them. I think Michellin's are a bit overpriced. I'll let you guys know what I think of my Bridgestone's once I get them on. I'm scheduled to get them installed tomorrow at 9Am. We're supposed to get a foot of snow on Tuesday night into Wed here in the NY area so maybe i'll get to test em out real soon
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Racer

So it snowed a little hear in the NY area today and the tires handled just fine. we're supposed to be getting 5-8" tomorrow night so Thursday morning i'll take her out for a test drive. On Sunday and Monday i did some highway driving with these new tires and they were just as smooth and quite as my Michellin's were. So far so good. We'll see how they last and perform as the winter keeps on bringing the snow.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Racer

Well, we ended up getting 17" of snow up here in Jersey by my house. I shoveled out my driveway this morning a little and out she went. didn't miss a beat. My Neigbhors were looking at me with envious eyes as they all shoveled their cars out this morning. My new bridgestone Dueler HL/400 tires are pretty damn sweet. I don't miss the Michelin's anymore. If anyone is in the market to replace their OE Michelin's consider these. They are about $60-$80 cheaper per corner.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
36k on my 2008 OEM tires and they look like they will last through another summer if not longer.

I would never buy deathstones again (Bridge, Fire, any) after the Ford Explorer fiasco. Have always been happy with Michelins, it's worth a little extra to go with the best. Put them on my Exploder prior to the MDX and never had a complaint. I think Goodyears are good too but often more pricey.

Be sure to check the reviews at TireRack before you shell out $1000+ for new tires. You can learn a lot from actual consumers who have done the testing for you, gratis. Don't be penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to tires.

Last edited by Boraxo; 02-14-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Also have a 2008, now around 34,800 miles. I was thinking I would have to replace them soon but maybe I'm just getting antsy. 57,000 on the OEM michelin's is pretty impressive, most people I've heard have changed from 35-40k.

Probably can end up waiting on changing them as the snow season here seems to have passed for the most part.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just put the Michelin LTX M/S's on my 01 X and am loving them so far. I have always loved Michelins and have never had a problem with them, best traction, quietest ride, smoothest. I would not go with any Goodyears, as they had problems with seperations and vibrations. I know they had a problem w/ the Goodyears that came on the Pilots. I put the DWS's on my accord but not quite the tire that should be on a luxury suv, imo. Alenza's or Michelin's would be my pic.

I would also recommend having them Road Forced/Ride Matched to make sure you get the best ride possible. This process matches the wheels and tires to eliminate vibrations, made a difference for me!

Mike
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would also recommend having them Road Forced/Ride Matched to make sure you get the best ride possible. This process matches the wheels and tires to eliminate vibrations, made a difference for me!

Mike[/quote]

There used to be places, don't know if there still are, that spin balanced the wheels/tires while still mounted on your car. Took into account any out of balance with all rotating components including the brake disc. Can't get much better than that.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
07 MDX Base

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHen I purchased my CPO 07 MDX it came with brand new Sumitomo tires. Not to get into too much detail but it still had good amount of tread but those tires were terrible for other reasons. Only driven 13,000 miles on them. Changed it out recently for:

Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max
Size: 255/55R18
LRR: Fuel MaxLow Rolling Resistance Tire Technology
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 109HLoad Index 109 = 2271lbs (1030kg) per tire
Speed Rating "H" = 130mph (210kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 600
Traction: A
Temperature: B
600 A B

Very quiet and comfortable. Also had nitrogen filled in the tires. To avoid tire pressure issues during the cold/hot season and to keep the tires worn evenly, its highly recommended to add the nitro.

Last edited by benlee78; 02-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Racer

Thanks for your advice everyone. As of now i've had my Bridgeston Dueler HL/400's on for a couple of weeks and through a huge snow storm and a horrible ice storm and I have felt fully confident driving in both conditions. I don't know what the wear qualities will be like on this tire but as far as grip, road noise, wet/dry/snow/ice conditions i really have nothing bad to say about them. So far so good, lets hope it stays that way.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

I have an 01' as well. I put Toyo Proxes ST tires 4mos after we purchased it. We got it with 62k miles on the odo, and now have 109k. Its been almost 5 years and they still have tread. Regular alignment and rotate/balance contributes alot to the life of any tire.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Thanks for your advice everyone. As of now i've had my Bridgeston Dueler HL/400's on for a couple of weeks and through a huge snow storm and a horrible ice storm and I have felt fully confident driving in both conditions. I don't know what the wear qualities will be like on this tire but as far as grip, road noise, wet/dry/snow/ice conditions i really have nothing bad to say about them. So far so good, lets hope it stays that way.
So it sounds like your Duelers are doing good. I am now reading up on reviews and tirerack feedback has been dismal at best. I even filtered by Acura MDX users and average rating was still poor. I am hoping it's the drivers and not the tire that is resulting in all these negative feedback as I about to pick up a 2008 with new Duelers on them put on by the dealership. Talk about anxiety as this could be a safety issues with the cold weather we get here!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now 41k on the OEM tires, but we'll be replacing them at the end of the summer as I don't want to risk sliding into a snowbank as we did last month (fortunately no injuries and damage limited to a cracked bumper).

One lesson I learned is that if you will be driving through a blizzard you may not want to keep your tires until they are at the wear bars (the other is to drive a bit slower...)