Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended warranty

Has anyone ever purchased an extended warranty on the internet? I have always purchased it thru the dealer, but i think it is too expensive. But the internet prices sound too good to be true. I just purchased a 2009 MDX. The dealer wants $2400 for a 8/120,000 warranty manage by Zurich. When I asked why do they are not offering Acura Care, he stated that Acura Care is much more expensive, they offer it but feel the plan from Zurich is better. Is there a way to purchase the Acura Care directly from Acura and not have to go thru any dealers?

Would appreciate your input..
Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
detour

is the tire and the wheel? or just wheel?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey GoWhiteSox,

I also just bought an '09 MDX. I did purchase an extended warranty from the dealer, who was selling Fidelity Warranty Services (JM&A). I paid $1200 for a 7yr/70K mile with $100 deductable. Finance Mgr said it was a good deal, as a special from the $3400 original price.

After getting home, I did some research on this forum, .org and also the internet to see what folks were saying about extended warranties. I did all my other research on the car and prices, but missed this one. So my research led me to find that it was higher price than normal, not backed by Acura, and this company has had many complaints with regards to paying/honoring the claims.

So I went back to the dealership and canceled the policy. The Finance Mgr asked me why and I told him. I added that I wanted an AcuraCare warranty and he told me the same thing. They don't sell them, because it costs too much money.

I looked at three sites curryacuracare.com, hondaacuraworld.com and bernardiwarranty.com. All three offer AcuraCare warranties. This is the same warranty, just that they sell them. Some dealerships do, some do not. Anyways, I was happy talking to Tim at hondacuraworld.com and finally bought from him. I'll look at the paperwork in the mail, but my understanding it is the same warranty others (non-3rd parties) are offering.

Hope this helps,
Dale
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
5th Gear

Hello dgMDX,
Thanks for your answer. How did you find out about the complaints.? I spoke to Acura's legal department. I was told that those very same dealers you mentioned were legit. She also said that the dealers are pushing the other warranties cuz they make more money. I spoke to Bernardi and they are offering the 8/120k for just under $2000, no deductible. They told me that I would get the contract from Acura and if I wasn't satisfied I could cancel with a full refund. I am just a little leary about buying something like that over the internet. What if it is a scam? Then I asked if I could see exactly what is covered before I buy. Could they fax me something showing me everything that is covered. The website does explain what is covered to some degree. But I remember buying Acura Care in the past, I was given a brochure that listed every single covered part. I would like to see that before I buy. When you get your paperwork can you please let me know? I order lots of things over the internet. But I have never ordered anything that costs this much. Call me a chicken I guess.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
9th Gear

Hey GoWhiteSox,

No problem, I am very much the same. I found the coverage here:

http://www.curryacuracare.com/coverage.cfm

Any of the three I mentioned are good. Look at the different prices online. Some have coupons (like Curry), other don't like Bernadi. Calling Tim at HondaAcuraWorld will give you the latest price. That is what I did. My 8/100K $0 was just under $1700. Great deal in my mind.

As for the complaints, I googled "fidelity warranty services complaints". Saw some recent ones and also some older ones. Did the same for "acura care warranty complaints" and didn't get any. So that helped me decide as well.

When I get my paper work, I'll be happy to let you know. It will be through American Honda Financial Corp, from what I remember.

Email me direct, if you would discuss that way than here.

Best,
Dale
Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
5th Gear

I think I will go with the Acura Care. I've owned Honda/Acuras since 1989. Always bought the Honda/Acura care. I've never had to use them. When my transmission on my 2003 tl-s went bad, it was 2000 miles after the extended warranty expired, I called Acura and explained my loyalty. They paid the $6000 cost. I don't think they would of done that had I been buying 3rd party warrranties. My tl was not part of the recall. I know the 03 trannies were known for being bad but supposedely most of them went bad at around 60k. I was at 102k. I would of kept this car longer but it just wasn't good in the snow. So I traded it in for the MDX at 110K, and it felt like it was still brand new.

I was impressed on how quickly they responded, and took care of everything. I never got the run around.

Thanks for everything and I look forward to hearing about your paperwork. I plan to buy the waaranty within the next few weeks.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
9th Gear

I agree Acura Care is the way to go, though not everyone might agree. That is really good news about your tranny and that they paid the $6K cost. I think your loyalty was rewarded for sure.

I got the initial paperwork today! Tim sent it FedEx overnight, which I didn't expect. Sure enough, it is the "Application for Coverage", has AcuraCare listed and says it is administered through American Honda Finance Corporation. All official paperwork and also has a sample contract, listing benefits, coverage, etc.

His attached letter states that I'll be getting official plan paperwork from American Honda along with the warranty cards within 30 days. I feel good about the process and believe it pays to shop (out of state) for sure. Much better deal than my purchasing dealer was going to give me.

One other thing to ask, when talking to the companies you are considering. Ask them how long the prices will be good. Some have a coupon that expires at the end of Feb. Another place I read prices were good only till Feb 11th. After that I think they might go up (or maybe down). Anyways, just wanted to mention that.

Best,
Dale
Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 AM
5th Gear

Question

I'm glad you got the paperwork. Do you know what it doesn't cover? I think that would be easier to answer.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
9th Gear

Hey GoWhiteSox,

Check out the following:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Exclusions include but are not limited to body parts, tires, maintenance items, glass, upholstery, trim, carpeting and ornamentation. While every effort has been made to provide a complete listing of covered and non-covered parts, this information is intended to provide an overview of coverages. Actual contract coverages, limitations and exclusions may vary. See the sample contract for full details. © 2005 American Honda Finance Corporation

http://www.curryacuracare.com/resour...leContract.pdf

Hope this helps,
Dale
Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Instructor

This is good to know that you can go out somewhere else and buy a extended warranty. I'll have to subscribe to this thread so I can reference it in the future.

Anyways, does anyone know if this Acura Care warranty covers say the entertainment system, nav system and power tail gate if they were to fail?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:04 PM
9th Gear

Hi 1tufgt,

I believe it does, if it was installed by the factory.

Dale
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

extended warranty

I have researched several Acuracare sites, they all sell the same warranty. In fact Bernardi.com even has a 12 month payment plan. I think they have the best price.